Control of the Senate if Trump resigns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:10:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Control of the Senate if Trump resigns
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Control of the Senate if Trump resigns  (Read 671 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »

Let me preface this by saying that I do not actually think that Trump will resign, but if the Democrats win the House and make gains throughout the country, I do see a scenario where he may just give up.

So, let's say for the sake of argument, that the Democrats take control of the House and gain two seats in the Senate to make the partisan composition 50-50 (most likely by picking up AZ/NV and holding all other seats) and Trump, seeing that he has no chance of getting anything done, simply resigns. At 50-50, Vice President Mike Pence would break the tie and give Republicans an organizational majority—but if the Vice Presidency becomes vacant due to a Trump resignation, there would end up being an organizational standoff between Democrats and Republicans.

The 25th Amendment, section two states that in order to fill a Vice Presidential vacancy, the President (Mike Pence in this case) must nominate and individual and they must be confirmed by BOTH houses of Congress. Meaning, theoretical President Pence would have to get the blessing of a Democratic controlled House and a 50-50 Senate to get a Vice President. My question is, why would the Democrats vote for a VP nominee that would upset the partisan balance of the Senate? Would they demand a Democrat be nominated to give them an advantage in that body? What about an Independent? Does Susan Collins become an Independent and caucus with the Democrats and make the whole thing a moot point? To be honest, if this not-so-far-out scenario were to play out, I could see the Vice Presidency sit vacant until 2020 (hell, VP vacancies have lasted longer before) with some sort of power-sharing agreement in the Senate.
UncleSam

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:36 PM »

Pence would get to pick the Vice President and there is simply no way that Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly, potentially Jones or even Warner or Bennett would try to block the president from having a Vice President.

I certainly hope we haven't come that far, at least.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

Pence would get to pick the Vice President and there is simply no way that Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly, potentially Jones or even Warner or Bennett would try to block the president from having a Vice President.

I certainly hope we haven't come that far, at least.

But remember, the House has to confirm the Vice President as well, which may fairly tough if the Democrats retake that body.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:48 PM »

I could see tough positioning to lobby for a non-wing nut, but not an outright denial or demand for a Dem. Nominate a woman and/or minority and rejecting becomes harder, like a Susanna Martinez or a Nikki Haley. Or a Tim Scott. Which after the Trump yesr(s) would be a smart move for Pence going forward.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:10:53 AM »

It's definitely worth mentioning that in this scenario, the Speaker of the House is second-in-line. So if Democrats control the House, Pelosi or whoever is in line to take over if something happens to Pence, and the media (both mainstream and right-wing) would go crazy any time there's a minor health scare.

My question is, why would the Democrats vote for a VP nominee that would upset the partisan balance of the Senate?

I don't think Congressional Democrats would want to be blamed for denying confirmation of any VP; it could look bad for 2020. Also, red state Dems like Manchin and Donnelly would probably feel a lot of heat. On the other hand, I could see Democrats demanding another candidate if Pence nominated someone pretty far to the right.

Also, any guesses on who Pence would nominate in this situation?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:16:05 AM »

Haley would be my guess. She's one of the only members of the administration with any potential for higher office in her blood, and even Senate Democrats would be hard-pressed not to accept her.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:57 AM »

Pence would certainly not pick a Democrat for VP, even not Manchin. I think he could chose some respectable GOPers. John Kasich, Brian Sandoval, Nikki Haley, Jeff Flake or Bob Corker would almost likely get approved by a Dem congress.

In 2020, he could pick a new running mate more to the right. However, the outlined scenario is, as the OP already pointed out, very unlikely. I can't imagine Trump resigning from office. Just not going to happen. The orange clown would simply blame everbody else for his failure, like he already does, and fire up by his base by telling them the "evil swamp" is so mean to him and doesn't want to make America great again.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

It's definitely worth mentioning that in this scenario, the Speaker of the House is second-in-line. So if Democrats control the House, Pelosi or whoever is in line to take over if something happens to Pence, and the media (both mainstream and right-wing) would go crazy any time there's a minor health scare.

My question is, why would the Democrats vote for a VP nominee that would upset the partisan balance of the Senate?

I don't think Congressional Democrats would want to be blamed for denying confirmation of any VP; it could look bad for 2020. Also, red state Dems like Manchin and Donnelly would probably feel a lot of heat. On the other hand, I could see Democrats demanding another candidate if Pence nominated someone pretty far to the right.

Either Nikki Haley or Mitt Romney if I had to guess.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »

Haley would be my guess. She's one of the only members of the administration with any potential for higher office in her blood, and even Senate Democrats would be hard-pressed not to accept her.

100% agree
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »

What would be the Dem advantage to preventing a VP being nominated? The office doesn't have any official responsibilities. Would their plan be to hope Pence dies in office and Pelosi (lol) becomes President?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »

What would be the Dem advantage to preventing a VP being nominated? The office doesn't have any official responsibilities. Would their plan be to hope Pence dies in office and Pelosi (lol) becomes President?

Organizational control of the Senate if it is deadlocked at 50-50. With Pence as VP, a 50-50 Senate would give the GOP organizational control of the body—if the Vice Presidency is vacant, however, there would have to be some sort of power sharing agreement between Schumer and McConnell.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies