Bosse's Democratic Gerrymander Maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:29:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Bosse's Democratic Gerrymander Maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bosse's Democratic Gerrymander Maps  (Read 2032 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« on: November 15, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2017, 12:48:07 PM by Oryxslayer »

What are the HVAP for the districts? Arizona needs two 50% + 1 HVAP seats, and said seats typically need more than 50% + 1 because Hispanic voter registration is below the national average.

Also is this 2020 county projections, or just 2010? If it is 2010, then holy hell those are some big population deviations. The good mapmaker typically tries for a deviation below 1000/-1000, preferably 500/-500, or 2000/-2000 if you a drawing a map that specifically seeks to minimize county cuts. If it is 2020, Arizona will most likely be a gainer that year taking a extra seat.

Imgur is blocked on this site (too much traffic I think) need to use another site. I use https://imgbb.com/
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 08:46:24 AM by Oryxslayer »

Part of an Illinois 13-3 Gerrymander. Here's the Downstate seats. 3R-2D. I didn't draw the rest of Chicagoland cuz I'm lazy, but I've seen it done in other maps and it complies with DRA. The other 11 Chicagoland districts would obviously be safe D. The two D seats in this map are 59% Obama 2008 (successor to Bustos's seat). It probably went for Clinton by about 8 points, and I made a point for it to capture every major city that she carried in the area. The other one is the Metro East-Springfield-Decatur-Champaign-Bloomington seat Obama 2008 carried with 60% that Clinton carried by about 11 points.

Edited to use the large map.

The practical problem in Chicagoland is that the PVIs don't accurately predict congressional results. Obama was a popular favorite son and overperformed traditional averages, which skews the PVI. This was clearly seen in the 2010 and 2014 off-year results. Trump was an unusually poor fit as well and that continues the skew.

In 2011 the Dem map was guided by DCCC trying to maximize seats, but still they drew D+7 or better. That left them with two Pub sinks: IL-6 and 14. In 2021 Dems might be able to reduce one of those, but it is unlikely they can reduce both without risking a Dummymander in the 2022 off year.

Yeah I agree - don't see a way for dems to get out of at least 1 R seat in Chicagoland that is a exurban pack with tentacles grabbing right-leaning to fortify the Blue seats. If such a seat were to be cut, the map up there would have to get real messy and spread the city Black vote across the suburbs as the 2020 map probably won't require 3 BVAP seats. Of course, this ignores that fact that the AA incumbents will lobby hard for a seat that is still safe for themselves, even though it lacks a AA majority.

Disagree however on the skew Yes, Obama over-preformed in 2008 and IL data sucks because of it. Obama in 2008 generally over-preformed across the state, and  this still happened in 2012 to a lesser extent. However, Clinton didn't over-preform in the Rep areas. The thing about 2016 and 2017 is that in other states, the areas where Trump was disliked are staying Democratic and rejecting a return to the right. Most people, for example, expect 2016 to be the last year were IL-10 rejected its PVI since the Kirk-Dold machine has lost its candidates. I don't see Il-06 surviving 2020 as a republican seat, though IL-14 most certainly will.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 03:36:50 PM by Oryxslayer »

Part of an Illinois 13-3 Gerrymander. Here's the Downstate seats. 3R-2D. I didn't draw the rest of Chicagoland cuz I'm lazy, but I've seen it done in other maps and it complies with DRA. The other 11 Chicagoland districts would obviously be safe D. The two D seats in this map are 59% Obama 2008 (successor to Bustos's seat). It probably went for Clinton by about 8 points, and I made a point for it to capture every major city that she carried in the area. The other one is the Metro East-Springfield-Decatur-Champaign-Bloomington seat Obama 2008 carried with 60% that Clinton carried by about 11 points.

Edited to use the large map.
The AZ map was fine, but this makes the gerrymander the courts threw out in NC look like nothing. I don't know if there's any legal precedent for that in Illinois though. I do think all the greater Chicago districts can be democrat fairly easily. As for the Virginia map, doesn't the VRA require majority black districts? You might have to put Norfolk in with one of the two 40% black districts and leave VA 2 as swing to lean R. Still a solid 6D-4R-1 swing

Oh you bet there is a precedent, Madigan has his experience drawing tentacles. If there is some political thing that is corrupt, mean, or dishonest, Illinois Democrats have done it,

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies