Mass. Senate unanimously passes free birth control bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mass. Senate unanimously passes free birth control bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mass. Senate unanimously passes free birth control bill  (Read 1755 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »

What's the point of this post? There was no mention of a tax increase in the article.
well free birth control isn't free (nothing the govt gives out for "free" is), there will be an increase in taxes or decrease in funds from something else....unless Mass. has a huge surplus, but we all know that can't be true.

That said, even with the hard inefficiencies built into any govt program, this has a good chance of actually paying for itself in the long run.  I still wouldn't support it though.  Not the govt's job IMHO.

Ignoring the strong need for government to provide medical care, and yes that includes birth control, surely you'd agree government has a fundamental duty to be good stewards of tax monies. This policy clearly serves that fundamental purpose.
Well that would really depend on how they implemented it right?  If it costs the naive suckers of Mass. $2B/year and only hands out 241 condoms and all of those are at Harvard, then no.  If it takes monies away from 53 years old retired public employees making 6 digits a year from the state and gives out millions of various forms of birth control to poor people that need it and actually use it, then sure.  The devil is in the details.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

Can't these dopey broads just hold an aspirin between their knees? Sheesh!

It seems like the men complaining about this are the ones least likely even be with a woman. Damn incels...
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »

Actually that's not true in this case , as any time the state wants to raise taxes they are required to get approval from the voters.

In 2014 the state wanted to bail out people who had lots of student loan debt , but since it would require raising taxes to do so or going in debt they had to get approval from the voters , and the voters decided not to approve it .
This is why tax increases should never be put to referendum.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »

We also need a free bread bill because people need to eat imo
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »

Actually that's not true in this case , as any time the state wants to raise taxes they are required to get approval from the voters.

In 2014 the state wanted to bail out people who had lots of student loan debt , but since it would require raising taxes to do so or going in debt they had to get approval from the voters , and the voters decided not to approve it .

I like the fact that so many issues are put to referendum in Oregon , as that is the only reason the State Democratic Party hasnt been able to ram their agenda down everyone's throat.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 04:05:11 AM »

I like the fact that so many issues are put to referendum in Oregon , as that is the only reason the State Democratic Party hasnt been able to ram their agenda down everyone's throat.

That moment when the fact that you probably couldn't get a tax increase to save dying orphans is a good thing.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »

Great news and I'm proud of my state yet again, but why did so many people abstain? The MA Senate has 40 members, not 27.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »

Obviously I think birth control is a great thing, but why should it be free? It's a consumer product, no different than anything else you might buy at a pharmacy, like condoms or Tylenol (it should be available over the counter). Using birth control to solve problems like abortion and child poverty is eugenics. The way to solve these problems is by increasing the income of the poor directly. Then they can spend that income on birth control or anything they like. MA is a liberal state but this is a remnant of the old Congregationalist elitism that associated that state's Progressives with the Republican party for decades.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »

It seems like the men complaining about this are the ones least likely even be with a woman. Damn incels...

I'm pretty sure Sanchez was just joking.Wink

At least I hope so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »

What's the point of this post? There was no mention of a tax increase in the article.
well free birth control isn't free (nothing the govt gives out for "free" is), there will be an increase in taxes or decrease in funds from something else....unless Mass. has a huge surplus, but we all know that can't be true.

That said, even with the hard inefficiencies built into any govt program, this has a good chance of actually paying for itself in the long run.  I still wouldn't support it though.  Not the govt's job IMHO.

Ignoring the strong need for government to provide medical care, and yes that includes birth control, surely you'd agree government has a fundamental duty to be good stewards of tax monies. This policy clearly serves that fundamental purpose.
Well that would really depend on how they implemented it right?  If it costs the naive suckers of Mass. $2B/year and only hands out 241 condoms and all of those are at Harvard, then no.  If it takes monies away from 53 years old retired public employees making 6 digits a year from the state and gives out millions of various forms of birth control to poor people that need it and actually use it, then sure.  The devil is in the details.

Wow. That post has more straw man p e r sentence then any Forum Post in the last month. Congratulations indeed
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:26 AM »

Same in Washington since the word tax increase is unpopular carbon tax failed last year by 20 points in Washington.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »

I'm pretty sure Sanchez was just joking.Wink

At least I hope so.
It was a Foster Friees thing. I'm all for free birth control so long as it isn't incumbent on the employer to provide it. Ideally, under my fantasy single payer wet dream, women could get it free/on the cheap at their local hospital/health clinic.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 03:03:29 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 03:05:05 AM by Trumpism: Turn the dial all the way up and pull off the knob »

Thanks for your concern, but as of last week I've been doing a bit better in that department. Where is the woman you've been with lately? Making smoothies with another guy on Snapchat again Wink
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 03:27:03 AM »

Thanks for your concern, but as of last week I've been doing a bit better in that department. Where is the woman you've been with lately? Making smoothies with another guy on Snapchat again Wink

That’s a low blow even for a deplorable; I love it. But to answer your question, I have no clue what she’s doing because I dumped her the same day that happened and we haven’t talked in 3 months. I got me a better, kinkier girl now Cheesy
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »

That’s a low blow even for a deplorable; I love it. But to answer your question, I have no clue what she’s doing because I dumped her the same day that happened and we haven’t talked in 3 months. I got me a better, kinkier girl now Cheesy
I told you you'd rebound!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

Wow. That post has more straw man p e r sentence then any Forum Post in the last month. Congratulations indeed
whoa, this has been thrown at me many times before, sometimes even correctly, but this may be the most off accusation of that ever.  Congrats back at ya kid!  Perhaps you need to look up words before you use them....especially if you think you're using them as an insult.  <whispers>Makes you look silly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 03:16:10 PM by Old School Republican »

Jacobin, some people who oppose this dont oppose it because they are opposed to birth control in general , they oppose this bill because they dont believe its the government's job to get involved in this issue. They believe this issue should be left to the free market.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 03:51:02 PM »

Good.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 04:50:46 PM »

Jacobin, some people who oppose this dont oppose it because they are opposed to birth control in general , they oppose this bill because they dont believe its the government's job to get involved in this issue. They believe this issue should be left to the free market.

Those people are dumb.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 06:09:10 PM by Old School Republican »

Those people are dumb.

are you calling me dumb?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »

Those people are dumb.

your calling me dumb?

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »

Those people are dumb.

your calling me dumb?

If the dunce cap fits....

And truth be told I don't think you're dumb, just profoundly sheltered and rather lacking in basic empathy.

You could also really use getting laid, frankly.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »

Those people are dumb.

your calling me dumb?

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies