Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27261 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »

It's deeply unfair to men of good character and/or people who are redeeming themselves that they resign just because of Roy Moore.
If you’re a sexual harasser you’re not a man of good character.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »

He should resign due to the fact that it would be a major distraction and irony on Dems when Moore, if elected (looks likely), gets to the Senate and they need to force a removal vote.

Schumer needs to give him "the talk" today.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »

His actions today seem pretty good already. No resignation is necessary.
Sorry. No. Not with Roy Moore lurking around.

He needs to resign, but lets make a false equivalence here.
What false equivalence?

I am saying Roy Moore and Franken aren't comparable.

Franken should resign, but I don't want anyone to unintentionally conflate pedophilia with sexually harassment.
I worded that wrong. I meant Moore lurking around, as in him potentially getting into the Senate. Franken hanging around in the Senate presents bad optics if we truly want to get Doug Jones this seat.

Gotcha ya.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:08 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand reacts:

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim
NEW: Gillibrand tells reporters the allegations against Franken are “deeply concerning,” says she believes the woman who accused him

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/931204194605895680

I mean, there’s a photo? You’d have to be extremely delusional to not believe her.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

It's deeply unfair to men of good character and/or people who are redeeming themselves that they resign just because of Roy Moore.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »

I don’t get the points about Moore? Even if Moore didn’t exist, I would still say Franken ought to resign.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2017, 12:11:37 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand reacts:

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim
NEW: Gillibrand tells reporters the allegations against Franken are “deeply concerning,” says she believes the woman who accused him

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/931204194605895680

I mean, there’s a photo? You’d have to be extremely delusional to not believe her.

Yeah, she should call for his immediate resignation.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »

You can make a mistake and still be of good character. I'm not necessarily saying Franken's a good guy - I don't like him - but most men have made such mistakes in their lives. I'll bet many of your friends and family members have done similar things at times in their past.

As long as they apologize and endeavor to be better people, I see no reason why their lives should be destroyed.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »

Franken has been fighting for working families in the US Senate for 8 years, and shows signs of cleaning up his act. He deserves a chance.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

I don't know if I've ever been more glad that all three people representing me in Congress are women. That's not to say women can't or don't commit sexual assault, but something tells me Cantwell, Murray, and Jayapal would rank among the absolute least likely people in Congress to do something like this.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »

When WaPo says your apology is underwhelming you're in trouble.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »

You can make a mistake and still be of good character. I'm not necessarily saying Franken's a good guy - I don't like him - but most men have made such mistakes in their lives. I'll bet many of your friends and family members have done similar things at times in their past.

As long as they apologize and endeavor to be better people, I see no reason why their lives should be destroyed.
These remain serious allegations, especially since there is HARD EVIDENCE (the photo)
Cashew
United States

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »

I don’t get the points about Moore? Even if Moore didn’t exist, I would still say Franken ought to resign.

If you are an "undecided" desperate for an excuse to vote Moore, this is a good opportunity to rationalize "both sides".
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

Seems like Franken is posing in that picture, obviously knowing the image was going to be taken.
Almost like he thinks what he is doing is funny (probably the comedian side of him).
Regardless, what he did was extremely wrong and should not be in office.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

This is really sad.  He needs to resign.  The sad part is we will lose Franken, but Moore will win for sure now.  I hate this country.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »

Sarah Palin was on Capitol hill today. When asked about Franken she (unsurprisingly) thinks he should step down. Silent on Moore... the one she literally campaigned with, in person.

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/931207077682442240
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2017, 12:16:40 PM »

I agree, but I also think he probably wouldn’t (compared to what other prominent people are accused of, this sort of pales). Now I think it’s definite.

Bullshit. I’ve never made this kind of “mistake” because I don’t go around touching people whenever I feel like it because I have a healthy sense of boundaries.

And if many of my friends and family members have groped someone without their consent I’ll cut off contact from them.

Franken has been fighting for working families in the US Senate for 8 years, and shows signs of cleaning up his act. He deserves a chance.
No, he doesn’t.

You’re talking to one of the biggest Franken fans here, too.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »

These remain serious allegations, especially since there is HARD EVIDENCE (the photo)

The photo isn't even that bad. It was clearly done as an inappropriate joke, but it makes sense that the woman would be so upset by it because she was allegedly assaulted by Franken earlier. The kissing allegations are the bad part.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

Sarah Palin was on Capitol hill today. When asked about Franken she (unsurprisingly) thinks he should step down. Silent on Moore... the one she literally campaigned with, in person.

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/931207077682442240

lol, conservatives don't really care about sexual harassment.

No one should take their phony outrage seriously.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

And if many of my friends and family members have groped someone without their consent I’ll cut off contact from them.
Franken clearly did not "grope" in the photo - he made a joke about groping, which was inappropriate given the setting and the fact that the woman was actually sleeping. And if you think nobody you know has done similar, you are extremely naive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

If he resigns I'm afraid who Dayton might appoint.  It's almost better for Murica if he stays.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »

I think the only question is if he resigns or just doesn't run again in 2020. (I'd prefer he resigns to let the new Dem appointee get his/her sea legs and run with some incumbency)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 12:29:56 PM by TexasGurl »

Franken clearly did not "grope" in the photo - he made a joke about groping, which was inappropriate given the setting and the fact that the woman was actually sleeping. And if you think nobody you know has done similar, you are extremely naive.
Not just the photo.

And you need to reread the part of my post you quoted.
Keep it civil please.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

Republicans are really showing how much they don't give a damn about sexual assault or the victims. If they did, they wouldn't be cherrypicking which stories to believe based on party affiliation of the assaulter. Crocodile tears.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »

Really, he should just resign right now and save himself the pain. I hope that his, and other people's career destruction serves as an example for young men today- let them see that if you sexually assault someone, you suffer for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies