Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:12:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27538 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 24, 2017, 03:44:28 PM »

The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that

They should want to. Aside from being, you know, the right thing to do, it would also put Republicans on the spot if Moore wins so that they have to expel him as well.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #401 on: November 24, 2017, 04:03:09 PM »

But after his latest lame statement it's clear he's digging in his heels and not going without being literally dragged out of the building.

I don't think that's clear at all.  I think Franken is testing the waters to see if he can survive this.  If the rest of the party really starts turning the screws on him to leave though, then he may very well quit.  But he's not going to start signalling right now that he's open to quitting, because that would just invite more people to start pushing him out the door.

That's just the way these things work.  Even if you're 50/50 on whether to quit or not, you have to pretend like you're committed to staying, or else you're going to find yourself pushed out the door for sure.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #402 on: November 24, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »

The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that

They should want to. Aside from being, you know, the right thing to do, it would also put Republicans on the spot if Moore wins so that they have to expel him as well.

Don't be naive. Republicans have nothing to lose by not following political norms. If that was true, we wouldn't have Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court right now. I could come up with a few more examples if you'd like to debate this point further.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #403 on: November 24, 2017, 05:55:02 PM »

Don't be naive. Republicans have nothing to lose by not following political norms. If that was true, we wouldn't have Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court right now. I could come up with a few more examples if you'd like to debate this point further.

Having a pedophile as a member of their Senate caucus is something a little different PR-wise than breaking procedural norms that no person outside of the Beltway ever cared about to begin with.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #404 on: November 24, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

Having a pedophile as a member of their Senate caucus is something a little different PR-wise than breaking procedural norms that no person outside of the Beltway ever cared about to begin with.

Not to Republicans, no. Conservatives are happy as long as liberals are mad.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #405 on: November 24, 2017, 06:02:58 PM »

I'd also add that unlike with Gorsuch, expelling Moore also costs them nothing in terms of policy, since he'd just be replaced by another Republican.  For that matter, I'm assuming McConnell and probably the entirety of the rest of the Senate GOP caucus would rather have some other Ivey-appointed Republican in that Senate seat over Moore.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #406 on: November 24, 2017, 06:04:49 PM »

Not to Republicans, no. Conservatives are happy as long as liberals are mad.

Thank God the American electorate is not yet entirely made up only of "Democrats" and "Republicans" whose only goal in life is to screw the "other side" (though it does seem we're heading there fast).
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #407 on: November 24, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »

I'd also add that unlike with Gorsuch, expelling Moore also costs them nothing in terms of policy, since he'd just be replaced by another Republican.  For that matter, I'm assuming McConnell and probably the entirety of the rest of the Senate GOP caucus would rather have some other Ivey-appointed Republican in that Senate seat over Moore.

Bannon goes scorched Earth on the Republicans if they expel Moore. His name will be used as a rallying cry throughout primary season if he is removed because of liberal media smears and establishment backroom calculations.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #408 on: November 24, 2017, 06:51:16 PM »

Bannon goes scorched Earth on the Republicans if they expel Moore. His name will be used as a rallying cry throughout primary season if he is removed because of liberal media smears and establishment backroom calculations.

It depends on what Trump does.  If Trump is going to criticize GOP Senators for dumping Moore, then yeah, they're probably not going to do it.  If they somehow managed to get Trump on board with ousting Moore though, then I think they'd go ahead with it.  Bannon isn't going to be able to whip up any extra outrage against the GOP establishment over this issue.  If they get rid of Moore in January, no one outside of Alabama is going to care about it anymore by the summer.  Roy Blunt or John Thune or whoever is not going to get a primary challenger just because they voted to expel Roy Moore, lol.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #409 on: November 26, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »

Franken ashamed, looks forward to getting back to work tomorrow.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #410 on: November 27, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »

Rubio says the r-word:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/361944-rubio-al-franken-should-consider-resigning

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #411 on: November 27, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2017, 03:38:42 PM by Senator Scott🍂 »

And where was Little Marco to be seen after the AH tapes came out, I wonder?

Shove off, Little Marco.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2017, 04:04:45 PM »

As blatantly hypocritical as this is...he’s not wrong.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »

Jesus Christ. Get him out NOW.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2017, 06:49:50 PM »

And where was Little Marco to be seen after the AH tapes came out, I wonder?

Shove off, Little Marco.
He was probably in Alice Wainwright Park.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #415 on: November 27, 2017, 08:00:05 PM »

Rubio has grabbed lots of butt's... men's butt's tho
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #416 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »

Rubio has grabbed lots of butt's... men's butt's tho
Is there any solid proof of his alleged gay past? because all I've seen is rumors.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #417 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »

Army veteran accuses Franken of groping her during USO tour

He really should have resigned (or at the least announced his intent to resign) already.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #418 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:15 AM »

Army veteran accuses Franken of groping her during USO tour

He really should have resigned (or at the least announced his intent to resign) already.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/30/politics/al-franken-groping-allegation/index.html

The picture she gave to media doesnt back up her claim. Unless her breast is on her back.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #419 on: November 30, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »

It's time for Al to go.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #420 on: November 30, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »

This is why I was thinking Franken might have to quit right after news broke of the first woman. There's almost never just one woman, and if you have more than one woman that means you have a pattern of being a sexual predator.
elcorazon

« Reply #421 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:56 PM »

Yea. It's past time, frankly.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #422 on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »

I would like to say Sam spade who posted on here years ago said in 2008-2009 that al Franken grabbed his aunts butt on the subway.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies