Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:31:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27266 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »

Maybe we can have some Minnesota State officials come out and say that Joseph did this to Mary all the time, so all is OK. No big deal.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »

Believe it or not, this effectively acts as a Lifeline for him. The fact that the Republican leader is calling for an Ethics investigation rather than resignation, twitch most, though probably not all, of his caucus will follow suit, it actually gives Franken and out as opposed to resignation. Frankly, he could probably be censured in the next several months in Survive election in three years.

Maybe McConnell is hoping to negotiate a "both sides do it" compromise expulsion of both Franken and Moore, a la the banning of Evergreen and Klartext:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173972.msg5696773#msg5696773

Tongue
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »

Maybe we can have some Minnesota State officials come out and say that Joseph did this to Mary all the time, so all is OK. No big deal.

This is Minnesota, they worship Stalin and Lenin over there. I don't think they diddled little girls, so Franken can't hide himself behind his ideology. It's different for Moore, he grew up in rural Alabama. At 14 he probably already was betrothed to a 9-year old girl, you can't blame the guy for what he's done. These are 2 entirely different cases which should be treated differently /s.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

How do we know the photo is not fake? Why is there no timestamp on the photo? Look at the helmet; looks like the label says "Sweden" instead of "Tweeden" (and last time I checked, this is America). Do we know if she's a Republican? Two of Franken's fingers look almost identical, so we can't even be sure they were there in the first place. Why does the plane on one side of the photo look darker than the other side? Why didn't she just "cut here" for the emergency exit if she really felt uncomfortable? You'll notice the American flag on her vest is backward, which means that the photo is reversed and it was really her honking Franken. Sorry, but I'm going to need some actual evidence here.
mgop
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »

what a perv. oh well democrats dug their own grave when they form a coalition with rabid feminists lol
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »

what a perv. oh well democrats dug their own grave when they form a coalition with rabid feminists lol

Women who desire to not be groped = rabid feminists.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »

Cognitive dissonance is not your friend
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »

Does anyone else remember the poster Sam Spade saying that Franken groped his aunt on the subway and that's why he hated him?

Yes. I've always assumed it was probably true and here we are...
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »

Women who desire to not be groped = rabid feminists.
You forgot to put the words 'rapid feminists' in full caps and bold. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »

Franken should resign, but Dems are kidding themselves if they think him doing so would matter in terms of Alabama. They're going to elect Moore regardless. In fact, a lot of the Twitter profiles gloating and expressing outrage against Franken are vehement Moore supporters.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2017, 01:53:11 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 01:55:30 PM by Gass3268 »

Leeann Tweeden might have given Franken an out:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

See! The accuser is not dumb. She is saying exactly the same thing I've been saying. Smiley
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

Damn 2017, and I thought that 2016 was an insane year. I guess this is the Trump era.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

Democrats defending rapists! SAD!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »

Tweeden not calling for him to step down might...might...provide a way out for Franken. Still think he should resign though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »

Leeann Tweeden. Didn't I watch some B-movies with her when I was a teen?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »

I still think Franken should resign, but her statement gives me pause.

It is an unpopular thing to say, but a lot of men make poor mistakes in terms of treatment of women (especially men in their 20s and early 30's). Some grow out of it, and some unfortunately don't.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »

Democrats defending rapists! SAD!

Don't be stupid. If she wanted to "defend" him, she would have never disclosed what happened.
Having said that, I still don't like what Franken did. Some punishment is necessary.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »

Her statement makes the allegation seem more legitimate but also less serious.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2017, 02:10:43 PM »

I've seen debate elsewhere on whether or not he was actually groping her, or his hands were just "hovering" over her breasts, but that's neither here nor there. Obviously, his hands shouldn't be anywhere near her to begin with.

We have to keep working to end this culture in which people (most of them men) believe this kind of behavior is acceptable. It can't just be a partisan issue. You can't just give someone a pass because you like their politics.

This. Even if this was just a "joke" the optics of it alone are not acceptable. Sexual assault isn't a joke and we cannot allow our party to defend those who engage in it.

It's not my party. (Though obviously I vote D a lot and refuse to vote for anyone with an R after their name on general principle.) I agree with the above. Defending Bill Clinton on this was an immense setback. It cannot and should not be repeated.

That said, if Franken wants to stay in office long enough to vote to expel Moore before resigning, I would see little problem with it. Furthermore, I consider that the Rephblican Party must be destroyed.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »

It is an unpopular thing to say, but a lot of men make poor mistakes in terms of treatment of women (especially men in their 20s and early 30's). Some grow out of it, and some unfortunately don't.

Yes, this is what I have been saying. Even women do things like kissing men who are not remotely interested in kissing them, or grabbing ass, especially when they are drunk. Of course, it is far more common behavior among men, and it is not right, but most people who have made these kinds of mistakes are not bad people.

It is different from the kind of predatory behavior exhibited by people like Roy Moore throughout his life and career.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

I'll admit I was hoping for exactly this.  The best case for everyone is for this to come out, for Al Franken to genuinely apologize and reflect on his conduct, and for the victim to be as gracious as Leeann Tweeden is and forgive him.

That's the only way any good can come of this.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:25 PM »

Yes, this is what I have been saying. Even women do things like kissing men who are not remotely interested in kissing them, or grabbing ass, especially when they are drunk. Of course, it is far more common behavior among men, and it is not right, but most people who have made these kinds of mistakes are not bad people.

It is different from the kind of predatory behavior exhibited by people like Roy Moore throughout his life and career.

Yeah, I am not trying to make this into a "boys will be boys" sort of thing. But my fear is we will start to group guys who made one poor decision concerning sexual harassment with guys like Weinsten, Cosby, Moore etc. who seem to have a history and pattern of really terrible behavior concerning women.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »

What a pig. Ugh.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »

I seriously think Franken should bail, partially because him staying will lead to an Ethics Committee investigation and Franken probably doesn't want to know what that investigation will turn up. See: the investigation against Bob Packwood back in the 90s that came back with a 10,000 page report about how he had molested dozens of Hill staffers. Packwood would've been much better off quitting before the investigation finished.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies