Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27537 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
« edited: November 16, 2017, 04:10:21 PM by Jacobin American »

Sheep base their thoughts on whatever's in the zeitgeist.

That's why I always click the "view results" link next to Atlas polls before voting.
elcorazon

« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

Leeann Tweeden. Didn't I watch some B-movies with her when I was a teen?
you're thinking of Shannon Tweed, I think.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

Hang on. If he's admitted to it, then what exactly is an ethics investigation gonna do? Lol.

I don't think he's admitted to everything that he's accused of.  Just that it was him in that picture, and that's it, as far as I can tell.

That said, I agree that an investigation doesn't accomplish much.  I guess they'll want a statement from Franken on what he remembers of these events, but is there really much more evidence out there beyond what the two parties say happened?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »

The picture was clearly a joke, but an inappropriate one and I was pretty disgusted with the story about the at the very least semi-forced kiss. On the other hand, I don't like the general idea that politicians have to be super clean moral guys, when we know that most ordinary people have a skeleton or two in their closet. Going after legitimate serial-abusers is different to going after guys who have done a dumb thing or two in their lives. I would like to see a pattern of abusive behaviour before I strongly condemn anyone.

Also, how are we even talking about condemning someone like Franken for this when the American people elected a guy president who OPENLY BRAGGED ABOUT GRABBING WOMEN BY THE PUSSY AND JUST KISSING THEM OUT OF NOWHERE WHEN HE GREETS THEM. How are people forgetting this. Trump is easily worse than Moore, just based on what we actually know.
elcorazon

« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:59 PM »

Hang on. If he's admitted to it, then what exactly is an ethics investigation gonna do? Lol.

I don't think he's admitted to everything that he's accused of.  Just that it was him in that picture, and that's it, as far as I can tell.

That said, I agree that an investigation doesn't accomplish much.  I guess they'll want a statement from Franken on what he remembers of these events, but is there really much more evidence out there beyond what the two parties say happened?

There were others present when photo was taken. And on the whole tour. Not sure it'll make a difference but there is some factual information that could come out (more likely damning info outside of the picture than exculpatory info)
elcorazon

« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2017, 04:28:06 PM »

Trump is easily worse than Moore, just based on what we actually know.
Did you mean Franken? I think Moore is more of a predator than Trump. Both are awful human beings but I still think Moore is the worse sexual predator, based on what we actually know.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »

The liberal media at CNN sure are going easy on Franken the way Fox and co. are on Moore.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/franken-apology/index.html
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

Trump is easily worse than Moore, just based on what we actually know.
Did you mean Franken? I think Moore is more of a predator than Trump. Both are awful human beings but I still think Moore is the worse sexual predator, based on what we actually know.

I think the thing that makes Moore worse is that the girls are underage. Aside from that you're splitting hairs and they're both awful regardless.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

He needs to get out. Sooner rather than later.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, it is disingenuous to get up and arms about Franken, when Donald Trump is president and Bill Clinton is arguably the most popular ex-president.

The uncomfortable truth is that most Americans really don't care about this sort thing. This sexual harassment thing reminds me of the fallout from the Ray Rice domestic abuse stuff. The country was upset for a little bit and then moved on to be outraged about something else.

We are a country that likes to get mad, but never channel that anger into making changes.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »

Honestly the fact that he's still a United States Senator is disgusting.

He should've resigned around noon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »

Yeah, it is disingenuous to get up and arms about Franken, when Donald Trump is president and Bill Clinton is arguably the most popular ex-president.

The uncomfortable truth is that most Americans really don't care about this sort thing. This sexual harassment thing reminds me of the fallout from the Ray Rice domestic abuse stuff. The country was upset for a little bit and then moved on to be outraged about something else.

We are a country that likes to get mad, but never channel that anger into making changes.

I think Megan McArdle was on the right track in this column:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-18/scandals-like-weinstein-s-won-t-end-sexual-harassment

There's a general consensus about sexual harassment being bad, but way too many people think it's only slightly bad, and not worth raising a big fuss over:

elcorazon

« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »

The reason so many on both sides defend their own guy is that our society is SO sexist that the bad behavior is pervasive and accepted and as a result, it really doesn't rise to the level of behavior like other criminal behavior, or taboos.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »

I think Megan McArdle was on the right track in this column:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-10-18/scandals-like-weinstein-s-won-t-end-sexual-harassment

There's a general consensus about sexual harassment being bad, but way too many people think it's only slightly bad, and not worth raising a big fuss over:

Yeah, this is a good article.

I would even say the only reason the Moore stuff is having an impact is because the victims were under 18. If Moore's victims were in their 20s and 30s, the only people who would care is women and liberals on twitter.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »

Dunno.  I clipped it from Google images for a deportation bus.

How exactly do you deport someone from an island country on a bus? I guess that explains why it's such a hellhole.

Duterte’s new policy involves ferrying buses of immigrants out five or ten miles into the ocean, and then pushing them all overboard, tying together everyone who escapes and tossing them in. It’s progressive, though, because they make sure each of the buses use affirmative action to decide where they sit.

#DuterteTheGenius
Val
FrankenFanGirl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »

Anyone wanna tell me how to change my Username RIP
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »

Profile -> scroll down -> Account Related Settings

That's unfortunate. Tongue
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2017, 05:49:45 PM »

I love when stupid criminals document their crimes. Makes evidence gathering much much easier.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #243 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 06:18:25 PM by Chris Murphy 2020 »

You’re original screen name will remain, however.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »

I think if you talk to the mods privately, they might let you just make a whole new account, given the unique circumstances.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2017, 05:59:18 PM »

lmbo!

PM Dave Leip. He can change it for you. No guarantee when he'll respond, although he has been relatively active the past week.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

lmbo!

PM Dave Leip. He can change it for you. No guarantee when he'll respond, although he has been relatively active the past week.

Maybe an email instead of forum PM would have greater chances of being noticed?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 06:16:41 PM by Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin »

I have a hard time agreeing that somebody should be disqualified for the rest of her of his life due to an inappropriate attempt at "joke". Censured? Criticized? Yes. But let's be honest here, 90% of the population would be disqualified under such strict standards (and I'm not talking just about sexual context).

Now, crossing certain barriers is thoroughly a diffrent matter. Still, I can't endorse somebody having to resign as soon as the accusation is being raised. And it's not whether we believe the accuser or not (and, in the vast majority of such cases, accusations are indeed turning out to be true). It's about upholding "innocent until proven guilty" principle. And if we want to apply this principle to other cases, then we can't make an exception here. And this applies to Roy F-king Moore too, or at least applied until the whole dome broke.

All I can say it doesn't look good for Franken and I won't shed any tears for him if he'll have to step down in disgrace after all.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »

I have a hard time agreeing that somebody should be disqualified for the rest of her of his life due to an inappropriate attempt at "joke". Censured? Criticized? Yes. But let's be honest here, 90% of the population would be disqualified under such strict standards (and I'm not talking just about sexual context).

I totally agree with this, especially the underlined part.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »

wow.... really bad timing with that username. Btw welcome to atlas, rookie
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies