Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:32:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27544 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2017, 01:34:46 AM »

I feel that there are two issues here.

One is the moral issue, which has been debated quite a bit.

The other is the electoral issue, where the argument that democrats should take the moral high ground and push Franken out, since they would otherwise look like hypocrites.

That argument is fundamentally flawed. Do people forget that one of the main reasons why Trump won was that he wasn't politically correct? The white working class despises overly sensitive liberals. It is one of the main reasons why we have lost them over the last few decades. If we demonize what in their minds might be "playful" banter or "boys being boys" we will lose EVERY SINGLE TIME. We need to be able to distinguish between actual predatorial behaviour and fratboy humour here. It is crucial. If we try to convince people that a slap on the ass is basically equal to rape then we will figuratively get our asses handed to us in elections. People will not stand for it. Please do make the argument that there is a difference between Franken and Moore and that grabbing someones ass in public is not something that you should lose your job over. Do discuss whether that is appropriate behaviour, but don't overreact.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »

I'm all for Democrats playing hardball and not giving a f**k about the rules once they take power but keeping the creepy old rapists in the party is not going to make voters respect the Democrats.

Also to the Democrats who are still calling Tweeden a liar even after Franken f**king admitted to it: Seek end of life services please and thank you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »

And now a third accusation

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/11/20/al-franken-arianna-huffington-harassment/883718001/
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »

Lol. I'm gonna believe Arianna Huffington over the New York Post.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »

If the sexual harassment happened while he was in public office, then the only right thing for him to do is to step down.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »

If the sexual harassment happened while he was in public office, then the only right thing for him to do is to step down.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »

If this is the standard then those wanting Trump to pay a price need to be quiet.  He hasn't done anything while in public office.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »

If this is the standard then those wanting Trump to pay a price need to be quiet.  He hasn't done anything while in public office.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #358 on: November 21, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »

The diarist is whining about the PC police. While I certainly don’t think anyone should be dogpiled, I hardly think maligning the accuser is the way to go here.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #359 on: November 21, 2017, 01:17:02 PM »

I'm disgusted at all the people defending Al Franken. There's even photo proof!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »

No joke there are Daily Kos morons claiming It's photoshopped.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

Yea I don't know about this one. Huffington herself said it was not inappropriate, and iirc, part of some skit they were doing. Although I could have that mixed up either way since I only skimmed the article at the Dr's office, but either way she said herself that it was nothing.

I crossed out accusation because she didn't accuse anyone. It was more like a news article trying to invent one.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

No joke there are Daily Kos morons claiming It's photoshopped.

These same people (rightfully) threw Moore under the bus. I thought it was beyond political party, but it appears I was wrong.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2017, 01:33:06 PM »

He has done some bad things. He also called for an Ethics Committee investigation on himself. He deserves a shot at redemption, period.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »

He has done some bad things. He also called for an Ethics Committee investigation on himself. He deserves a shot at redemption, period.

At least there is Fraken who takes responsibility and then those who keep digging themselves a deeper hole whether by adding on to the lies and propaganda or by justifying themselves through their entitlement.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2017, 02:43:52 PM »

Fair enough.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2017, 05:06:42 PM »

Al Frankenstein must go
elcorazon

« Reply #367 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #369 on: November 22, 2017, 03:49:34 PM »

I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

It's pretty clear he's not going to resign.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning. Staying in represents a form of hypocrisy on the part of Democrats.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning.
That's not true.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »

That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2017, 05:10:38 PM »

That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
If the environment somehow doesn't allow for forgiveness (which I don't think is the case but whatever) then it is not Al Franken's fault, it is the fault of others who refuse to believe he can redeem himself. Franken could give other public officials an inspiration to reform themselves as well and bring quicker resolution to the problem of sexual predation, harassment and whatnot, but hey, that was never possible because people like you refused to give him the chance.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

There's a difference between not feeling Franken should resign, and actively looking to dig up dirt on his accusers to discredit them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies