Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:20:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27418 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning.
That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
If the environment somehow doesn't allow for forgiveness (which I don't think is the case but whatever) then it is not Al Franken's fault, it is the fault of others who refuse to believe he can redeem himself. Franken could give other public officials an inspiration to reform themselves as well and bring quicker resolution to the problem of sexual predation, harassment and whatnot, but hey, that was never possible because people like you refused to give him the chance.

My opinions have absolutely no effect on what will happen to anyone in Congress. I'm just saying what I think is possible given what is going on right now, and Franken being an inspiration is not it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 05:58:45 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning.
That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
If the environment somehow doesn't allow for forgiveness (which I don't think is the case but whatever) then it is not Al Franken's fault, it is the fault of others who refuse to believe he can redeem himself. Franken could give other public officials an inspiration to reform themselves as well and bring quicker resolution to the problem of sexual predation, harassment and whatnot, but hey, that was never possible because people like you refused to give him the chance.

My opinions have absolutely no effect on what will happen to anyone in Congress. I'm just saying what I think is possible given what is going on right now, and Franken being an inspiration is not it.
I am talking in general terms. We don't need vengeance, we need a general understanding that yes, things have changed, and a thorough airing of dirty laundry is important, and that people generally should have a chance at redeeming themselves.
If society at large completely shuts the door on forgiveness, it almost certainly at some point will become a blame game with those who are deeply guilty and unrepentant hysterically pointing fingers elsewhere to muddy the waters, and sheer madness overall. And with with more morally mixed people, who did bad things because society told them to and/or society's twisted standards making them think it was okay, seeing their careers ruined in the process. Who needs that?
I would agree we absolutely need tough standards, but we need to start at an ideal pace, and adopt the correct thinking. We need to give people who show signs of proactiveness a path, and leave behind those who won't catch up. Franken called for an Ethics investigation on himself pretty quickly. We need to keep up the pressure, for sure, but that doesn't mean insisting on his resignation is necessary at all. Our present situation will only escalate. Sexual assault and harassment is a wide societal problem, and we need to do deal with it correctly.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2017, 06:01:01 PM »

Tim your childlike naïvite is actually cute instead of incredibly frustrating for once.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2017, 06:03:43 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 06:28:29 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

Tim your childlike naïvite is actually cute instead of incredibly frustrating for once.
What's really naive is seeing the various degrees of sexual misconduct as anything other than a general societal problem.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2017, 06:06:17 PM »

I would rather put my trust on people in daily kos who have presented a clear case that the accusations are false, than the main stream media.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #380 on: November 22, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »

I would rather put my trust on people in daily kos who have presented a clear case that the accusations are false, than the main stream media.
*Face palm*
Also, this is a bit off-topic, but based on your PM score, you're basically Joseph Stalin.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #381 on: November 22, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »

*Face palm*
Also, this is a bit off-topic, but based on your PM score, you're basically Joseph Stalin.
Joseph Stalin was extremely conservative on Social issues lol.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #382 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »

lol those dumb hicks who trust breitbart r so stupid amirite?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2017, 08:02:43 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/361635-two-additional-woman-accuse-franken-of-groping Two more women come forward with sexual harassment allegations.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:39 PM »

Assuming this is true... Frankenstein needs to switch to the GOP, where harrasmnent, is more acceptable or quit
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »

Assuming this is true... Frankenstein needs to switch to the GOP, where harrasmnent, is more acceptable or quit

I think we're beyond that point.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #386 on: November 22, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »

Franken needs to step down now and let whomever replaces him build incumbency and raise $$ for the 2018 special. I don't know what he's hoping for out of this ethics investigation, his popularity and credibility is shot and he's toxic among his colleagues. I can't believe the egos on some of these politicians.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #387 on: November 22, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »

He's not stepping down.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #388 on: November 23, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »

If Franken resigned, you'd just get another Democrat.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #389 on: November 23, 2017, 08:29:34 AM »

Up to 4 and growing but it doesn't seem like his colleagues are in a rush to see him resign. Hmmm
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #390 on: November 23, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »

Up to 4 and growing but it doesn't seem like his colleagues are in a rush to see him resign. Hmmm

The NY Post story shouldnt count, Arianna Huffington has refuted the claims.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #391 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

http://kstp.com/news/survey-franken-job-approval-plummets-many-say-he-should-resign/4678569/

Contrary to what some people are saying on this thread, the voters at large do care about sexual harassment. Only 22% of Minnesotans want Al Franken to stay on as their Senator, with only a 2% difference between men AND women. His approval rating is barely above Trump's now. Voters do care about their representatives being sexual predators, unlike some of my fellow Democrats apparently.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #392 on: November 23, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »

http://kstp.com/news/survey-franken-job-approval-plummets-many-say-he-should-resign/4678569/

Contrary to what some people are saying on this thread, the voters at large do care about sexual harassment. Only 22% of Minnesotans want Al Franken to stay on as their Senator, with only a 2% difference between men AND women. His approval rating is barely above Trump's now. Voters do care about their representatives being sexual predators, unlike some of my fellow Democrats apparently.

He'll recover.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #393 on: November 24, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »

His latest apology is about as lame as it gets.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #394 on: November 24, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »

Franken really did not deny anything here. He just said he didn't recall anything, as opposed to I would never do that. It is almost as if he is saying, that I have groped so many women, I can't really recall specific instances. It is all a blur in my mind.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #395 on: November 24, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2017, 10:20:01 AM by Grumpy Santa »

Franken really did not deny anything here. He just said he didn't recall anything, as opposed to I would never do that. It is almost as if he is saying, that I have groped so many women, I can't really recall specific instances. It is all a blur in my mind.

It seems like a blur in his mind as well.  But after his latest lame statement it's clear he's digging in his heels and not going without being literally dragged out of the building.
Val
FrankenFanGirl
Rookie
United States

« Reply #396 on: November 24, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »

I don't get how in every other industry anyone accused of this same type of misconduct either gets fired or loses all of the projects they're working on. Why don't we hold politicians to the same standard? He should resign... It's embarrassing for Minnesotans and democrats.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #397 on: November 24, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »

I don't get how in every other industry anyone accused of this same type of misconduct either gets fired or loses all of the projects they're working on. Why don't we hold politicians to the same standard? He should resign... It's embarrassing for Minnesotans and democrats.

He isn't up for reelection until 2020 and only he can choose to resign, which doesn't appear to be something he wants to do right now. The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that. At least not without cover from a ethics investigation or something.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #398 on: November 24, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »

I don't get how in every other industry anyone accused of this same type of misconduct either gets fired or loses all of the projects they're working on.

I don't think that's true.  If you're not in a position of high visibility, then a company isn't necessarily going to can you on the basis of sexual harassment accusations from private citizens who aren't themselves employees of the company.  The people who *do* get fired for such things are people who are public figures, because the company wants to save face.  Now, Franken *is* a public figure, but he has no direct superior, other than Minnesota voters, who can't fire him until 2020.  Of course, he could get "fired" by his fellow Senators, but that's a political decision rather than an HR decision.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: November 24, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »

Because  in every other industry, there are people who can see the direct cost of keeping them around who are able to fire them. The only people who can fire Franken are the Minnesotan public and the cost to them of keeping him in office is low, probably even lower than the cost of firing him.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies