Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:27:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27253 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: November 16, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »

The reason why everyone is coming out with such accusations is that at least 50% of men have done something like this at least once in their life. Of course, that doesn't make it less wrong, but you can make mistakes and still be a good person. I see no reason for him to resign as long as he owns up to it and apologizes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »

Ummmmm Moore is accused of being a pedophile that is a whole lot worse then what Al did
All sexual predators should be removed from office, period.

Congress would be empty.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:08:25 PM »

I hated him before, but now I stand with Franken. He's being treated very unfairly.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »

It's deeply unfair to men of good character and/or people who are redeeming themselves that they resign just because of Roy Moore.
If you’re a sexual harasser you’re not a man of good character.

You can make a mistake and still be of good character. I'm not necessarily saying Franken's a good guy - I don't like him - but most men have made such mistakes in their lives. I'll bet many of your friends and family members have done similar things at times in their past.

As long as they apologize and endeavor to be better people, I see no reason why their lives should be destroyed.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:14 PM »

It's deeply unfair to men of good character and/or people who are redeeming themselves that they resign just because of Roy Moore.
If you’re a sexual harasser you’re not a man of good character.

You can make a mistake and still be of good character. I'm not necessarily saying Franken's a good guy - I don't like him - but most men have made such mistakes in their lives. I'll bet many of your friends and family members have done similar things at times in their past.

As long as they apologize and endeavor to be better people, I see no reason why their lives should be destroyed.
These remain serious allegations, especially since there is HARD EVIDENCE (the photo)

The photo isn't even that bad. It was clearly done as an inappropriate joke, but it makes sense that the woman would be so upset by it because she was allegedly assaulted by Franken earlier. The kissing allegations are the bad part.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:18 PM »

And if many of my friends and family members have groped someone without their consent I’ll cut off contact from them.
Franken clearly did not "grope" in the photo - he made a joke about groping, which was inappropriate given the setting and the fact that the woman was actually sleeping. And if you think nobody you know has done similar, you are extremely naive.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »

And if many of my friends and family members have groped someone without their consent I’ll cut off contact from them.
Franken clearly did not "grope" in the photo - he made a joke about groping, which was inappropriate given the setting and the fact that the woman was actually sleeping. And if you think nobody you know has done similar, you are extremely naive.
Not just the photo, moron.

And you need to reread the part of my post you quoted.

If you think you would cut off contact with them, you are naive as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

People.
Santander is trolling you !
Stop trying to answer to his posts with any serious manner.
Cant you see he is going back and forth on the issue, just for attention ....

I hated him before, but now I stand with Franken. He's being treated very unfairly.

I'm not necessarily saying Franken's a good guy - I don't like him ...

I stand with him because the allegations against him are basically mistakes that any man could make in his life, unlike the kinds of predatory behavior that people like Roy Moore are alleged to have done. No, that does not make it okay, and the voters of Minnesota have a right to judge him for it, but he apologized, and I see nothing wrong with accepting it and moving on.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »

More and more Democrats are supporting the ethics investigation. My guess is Franken stays until that's over.

Aren't the Republicans going to turn any ethics probe into a total circus?

Bread and circuses.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »

FF!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

See! The accuser is not dumb. She is saying exactly the same thing I've been saying. Smiley
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »

I still think Franken should resign, but her statement gives me pause.

It is an unpopular thing to say, but a lot of men make poor mistakes in terms of treatment of women (especially men in their 20s and early 30's). Some grow out of it, and some unfortunately don't.

Yes, this is what I have been saying. Even women do things like kissing men who are not remotely interested in kissing them, or grabbing ass, especially when they are drunk. Of course, it is far more common behavior among men, and it is not right, but most people who have made these kinds of mistakes are not bad people.

It is different from the kind of predatory behavior exhibited by people like Roy Moore throughout his life and career.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »

Deal with it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Isn't that a Filipino bus?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »

Dunno.  I clipped it from Google images for a deportation bus.

How exactly do you deport someone from an island country on a bus? I guess that explains why it's such a hellhole.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »

Sheep base their thoughts on whatever's in the zeitgeist.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »

Come on people. You all (should) know that most men (and some women) have engaged in this kind of behavior during isolated incidents in their lives. It doesn't make it right, but as long as it is not a pattern, and as long as he apologizes (which he has), don't ruin his life over it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »

As I said in another thread, it's not that uncommon for women to grab ass. Certainly, men are responsible for more unwanted groping than women, but it's not such a great idea to use this as an excuse to beat up on men for being so awful.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »

If the sexual harassment happened while he was in public office, then the only right thing for him to do is to step down.

If this is the standard then those wanting Trump to pay a price need to be quiet.  He hasn't done anything while in public office.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »

The Senate could expel him, but for various reasons I'm not sure Democrats want to do that

They should want to. Aside from being, you know, the right thing to do, it would also put Republicans on the spot if Moore wins so that they have to expel him as well.

Don't be naive. Republicans have nothing to lose by not following political norms. If that was true, we wouldn't have Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court right now. I could come up with a few more examples if you'd like to debate this point further.

Having a pedophile as a member of their Senate caucus is something a little different PR-wise than breaking procedural norms that no person outside of the Beltway ever cared about to begin with.

Not to Republicans, no. Conservatives are happy as long as liberals are mad.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies