Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:15:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27791 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 16, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »

Ughhhhh come on Franken you were supposed to be one of the good ones. Well, damn, good chance this ends in his resignation.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »

I see Senate Democrats trying to get him to resign. They have cover since the Governor of Minnesota is a Democrat and would appoint another Democrat. Plus, it would look very hypocritical (though the two situations aren’t comparable) to excuse Franken while calling Moore unfit to serve.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »

Kirsten Gillibrand reacts:

Seung Min Kim @seungminkim
NEW: Gillibrand tells reporters the allegations against Franken are “deeply concerning,” says she believes the woman who accused him

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/931204194605895680
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

It's deeply unfair to men of good character and/or people who are redeeming themselves that they resign just because of Roy Moore.
If you’re a sexual harasser you’re not a man of good character.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »

Some have done worse than the allegations against Franken with little consequence, and such a system isn’t fair, but if we really want the big fish to go down, we need to go after the smaller fish as well. There cannot be excuses or defense for the violation of another person’s body.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 04:58:23 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning. Staying in represents a form of hypocrisy on the part of Democrats.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »

I love people who claim dems are so inconsistent for being even slightly openminded about Franken, who has had a couple of fairly minor allegations, while they support a President who not only has nearly 20 accusers, he also has basically admitted exactly what he is accused of, and in some cases even worse. AND, most seem to be supporting the child molester down in Alabama. Amazing.

For the record, I think Franken should resign, but I don't feel those who disagree are some kind of crazies or are somehow being wildly inconsistent.
I think Franken ought to make himself an example for others by staying in office, fighting for justice for those harassed and sexually assaulted using that senate seat, and doing penance for his past. He shouldn't resign.

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning.
That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »

The only way he can set a good example is by resigning.
That's not true.

Given the environment in which we now find ourselves, I don't think the penance you describe can be achieved. Forgiveness must be earned, but that cannot happen when the environment does not allow for forgiveness.
If the environment somehow doesn't allow for forgiveness (which I don't think is the case but whatever) then it is not Al Franken's fault, it is the fault of others who refuse to believe he can redeem himself. Franken could give other public officials an inspiration to reform themselves as well and bring quicker resolution to the problem of sexual predation, harassment and whatnot, but hey, that was never possible because people like you refused to give him the chance.

My opinions have absolutely no effect on what will happen to anyone in Congress. I'm just saying what I think is possible given what is going on right now, and Franken being an inspiration is not it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »

This is why I was thinking Franken might have to quit right after news broke of the first woman. There's almost never just one woman, and if you have more than one woman that means you have a pattern of being a sexual predator.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies