Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:09:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Al Franken accused of sexual harassment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Franken accused of sexual harassment  (Read 27494 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: November 16, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

This is really sad.  He needs to resign.  The sad part is we will lose Franken, but Moore will win for sure now.  I hate this country.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

More and more Democrats are supporting the ethics investigation. My guess is Franken stays until that's over.

Aren't the Republicans going to turn any ethics probe into a total circus?

Bread and circuses.
It's the greatest show on earth!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »

So for an ethics probe, won't they be dragging this woman in front of the Senate?  If so, it seems like a bit more than she should have to go through, no?
Tbf accomodations can be made, she went public already, and she at least should be allowed to refuse.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

Leeann Tweeden might have given Franken an out:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'll admit I was hoping for exactly this.  The best case for everyone is for this to come out, for Al Franken to genuinely apologize and reflect on his conduct, and for the victim to be as gracious as Leeann Tweeden is and forgive him.

That's the only way any good can come of this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »

So on the same USO tour where Franken "groped" her, Here she is grabbing the guitar players ass, After he pushed her away.

Wow.  Thanks for posting this.  I'm not sure how this makes me feel.  It brings up thoughts of 'locker room banter'...USO tours entertaining mostly young men stationed in places that they'd rather not be provides incentive to be raunchy and inappropriate.

It certainly takes away any equivalence to Roy Moore's preying on young adolescent girls.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »

Ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass ass
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »

So on the same USO tour where Franken "groped" her, Here she is grabbing the guitar players ass, After he pushed her away.

As a man who's been inappropriately touched by a conventionally attractive woman without my consent, this makes me cringe.
As a man who has been through a few episodes like this, it is actually X's opinion that offends me most.  As if he is some moral authority of anything.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »

As a man who's been inappropriately touched by a conventionally attractive woman without my consent, this makes me cringe.
As a man who has been through a few episodes like this, it is actually X's opinion that offends me most.  As if he is some moral authority of anything.

All due respect, but if you were offended by my post then frankly that says a lot more about you than it does about anything else (and none of it good).
The spirit of your argument is absolutely correct...this behavior is inexcusable and unacceptable.  But you come off as respecting the rule more than the reasons for the rules, and that makes it seem like virtue signaling. 

I've been groped inappropriately and I went through a very uncomfortable experience as a young child from another boy that I wont go into detail about.  I've been stalked and harrassed online as a young teenager.

My take is that this is a cycle of abuse that perpetuates itself, and yes, is unfortunately up to those abused to stop it.  For me, that starts with forgiveness.  Not only for their sake, but mine.  Showing a little grace where there is pain and darkness.

Your post showed nothing but haughty moral grandstanding when seen through the lens of my life experience.  And yes, that reaction says a lot about the "nothing good" that I have experienced, so in that way...you were right.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

Furthermore...I know more than one person who were sexually abused as children by adults who are afraid to seek help or talk beyond hushed tones to those they trust because they are afraid of the consequences meted out by people who have no connection to the situation for the abuser.

Your attitude perpetuates that, X.  They have found a way tto forgive with no professional help.

This needs to be a conversation.  An airing of dirty laundry.  Working through it.  NOT an inquisition.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »

In cases where people use their power to abuse those with less power for simple dominance and sexual gratification, it is pretty cut and dry.

But so many assaults are committed were the power dynamic is much more convoluted and the relationship complicated. These are the types where the legal system and most certainly the public at large fail the victims.  The existence of mandatory reporting laws prevent therapists from helping the victim beyond the most basic anonymous details.  An unintended negative consequence of a law with the best of intentions.  How do we address this?

I actually don't think we disagree much.  We focus on different parts of the problem because we approach it very differently.  And no, it is not unreasonable to expect our elected officials to not sexually harass others.  I also think if we go after this with too much anger and we look for vengeance, we will only help the toxic culture of silence and secrecy that has kept the cycle going.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies