Obligatory Franken Potential Replacement Poll (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:38:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Obligatory Franken Potential Replacement Poll (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is Appointed to Replace Franken if he Resigns or is Expelled?
Ellison

Walz

Smith

McCollum

Peterson

Nolan

Swanson

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 117

Author Topic: Obligatory Franken Potential Replacement Poll  (Read 7579 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« on: November 16, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »

People who don't think Ellison would do well in Minnesota miss that the Minnesota was a state that was overwhelmingly for Bernie.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:26 PM »

You kid, but I bet one of his living children would be decent.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

People who don't think Ellison would do well in Minnesota miss that the Minnesota was a state that was overwhelmingly for Bernie.
But Trump came close to winning MN. Would Islamophobia sink Ellison?
Bernie won the Minnesota Caucus 61.6% or 118,135 votes, so I don't see Ellison having a problem especially because he is pro-worker. Also Minnesota has multiple Muslims/POC in office. If there is a special election I think it would be close but I think the Bernie wing would carry the victory over the establishment.

I would like to see Ellison as the Minnesota senator, we need more progressives in the midwest.

All of the Muslims in office in MN are in ultra safe D legislative/congressional seats. It's not as if we've seen a Muslim win a competitive general election.

Trump did so well in Minnesota because Hillary was a distinctly bad fit for the state and took the upper Midwest for granted. Ellison would do fine.

That said, I don't think he wants it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »

- It is very unlikely Franken resigns unless something else drops.

- Ellison would be a horrible choice and would likely lose statewide.  I live in rural Minnesota and sadly a black Muslim from Minneapolis would do even worse than Clinton did outstate.

Why would someone who voted for Barack Obama twice in 2008 and 2012 not vote for someone based on being a Muslim?  

Because Obama wasn't a Muslim?

Plenty of folks didn't know that, though.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:20:14 AM »

If you think CAIR is a "dodgy" organization, you've succumbed to Islamophobic fear mongering.

Nation of Islam, on the other hand...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »

If you think CAIR is a "dodgy" organization, you've succumbed to Islamophobic fear mongering.

It wasn't just CAIR, it was certainly individuals in CAIR that were openly pro-Hamas.

No one in Minneapolis cares about this anymore, but wait till someone's running statewide.

Also there were maybe 5 Sanders-Trump voters in Minnesota, just as there would've been about that number of Hillary-Trump voters had Sanders won the nomination. Anyone bringing up the caucus results clearly doesn't understand how caucuses work in Minnesota or the sort of people who vote in them.

For example in heavily Trump swinging Aitkin county, Hillary received 3,134 votes in the general election. Sanders received...180 votes in the DFL caucus. In fact there was 349 votes total...about 11% of the total number of votes Hillary received. And furthermore Hillary actually did better in most of rural Minnesota in the caucus than she did statewide. This is all blathering #analysis about a non-existent "Bernie wing" of the party.

No one in Minneapolis may care anymore, but they frankly never should have. I have family in the Twin Cities, and I find it absurd it was ever a problem with the so-called progressives there.

And I think Rick Nolan would tell you otherwise, especially since caucuses are non-reflective bull sh*t.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »

If Frankenstein goes....they should appoint that female Somali Muslim state legislator...just to see GOP heads explode

She's probably, actually, unelectable statewide. Though if you take Keith out of Congress, she'd be perfect for his seat.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

If Frankenstein goes....they should appoint that female Somali Muslim state legislator...just to see GOP heads explode

She's probably, actually, unelectable statewide. Though if you take Keith out of Congress, she'd be perfect for his seat.

I would normally agree with your take but I think I'm todays current political environment....people are willing to vote for those they think Trump will harm the most. For example....see Virginia's HoD elections

There's a major difference between a state legislative election, a congressional election, and a statewide election.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »

I would normally agree with your take but I think I'm todays current political environment....people are willing to vote for those they think Trump will harm the most. For example....see Virginia's HoD elections

There's a major difference between a state legislative election, a congressional election, and a statewide election.

I don't think there is but 2018 will show us.

You think damn near objectively wrong.

It wasn't just CAIR, it was certainly individuals in CAIR that were openly pro-Hamas.

No one in Minneapolis cares about this anymore, but wait till someone's running statewide.

Also there were maybe 5 Sanders-Trump voters in Minnesota, just as there would've been about that number of Hillary-Trump voters had Sanders won the nomination. Anyone bringing up the caucus results clearly doesn't understand how caucuses work in Minnesota or the sort of people who vote in them.

For example in heavily Trump swinging Aitkin county, Hillary received 3,134 votes in the general election. Sanders received...180 votes in the DFL caucus. In fact there was 349 votes total...about 11% of the total number of votes Hillary received. And furthermore Hillary actually did better in most of rural Minnesota in the caucus than she did statewide. This is all blathering #analysis about a non-existent "Bernie wing" of the party.

No one in Minneapolis may care anymore, but they frankly never should have. I have family in the Twin Cities, and I find it absurd it was ever a problem with the so-called progressives there.

And I think Rick Nolan would tell you otherwise, especially since caucuses are non-reflective bull sh*t.

Nolan was just narrowly re-elected over a terrible opponent. His Sanders endorsement had nothing to do with it.

Minnesota caucuses are low turnout affairs where only highly engaged voters and activist types show up. Sanders would've won Minnesota, and probably by a larger margin than Hillary, but not because of the caucus results or because tons of his supporters voted Trump in, the general election. And Sanders underperformed his state numbers in the areas with the biggest swings to Trump anyway.

There's no way to know, but my strong suspicion is Nolan would have won a much healthier margin with Sanders at the top of the ticket, as Trump wouldn't have won the 8th by 15% against Sanders.

There is a certain breed of Democrat in the DFL than can hold the very conservative, rural North, and they lose when turnout is down. It's frankly miraculous Nolan held on in '14, as turnout plummeted to just over 37%, and Oberstar went out as the longest-serving Minnesotan in Congress in '10 when turnout went down to 42%.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies