Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:32:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?  (Read 1741 times)
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »

Waters is a kook who couldn't win DC
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 11:12:24 PM »

No, even if you don't consider her age she'd be lucky to outperform McGovern.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 07:10:48 AM by Arkansas Yankee »

Go for it.  Great head of the ticket.  White sunbelt suburbanites will flock to her banner.  White northern suburbanites will show how they have dropped all their prejudices.  The WWC will return to their home in the Party of FDR. Macomb county Michigan, my former home, will elect all Democrats.

PRAISE THE LORD! PASS THE POPCORN
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 07:07:48 AM »

Rep. Waters is a massive FF but she would never water down her message to appease triggered white snowflakes so no she has no chance.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »

I'm guessing in this scenario some kind of third party would end up picking up large number of suburbanites, probably throwing the election to Trump, in all honestly.
History505
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »

Very energetic and outspoken person but no.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

Yeah, lol at the idea that Hillary Clinton, a woman with 40% favorables, was the best Democrats were ever going to do in these suburbs. Pretty sure Waters would hold her own in Cobb County even, like MT Treasurer said. Trump's approvals are that damaged beyond repair.

Which is why ironic support for Maxine Waters is ridiculous. Not that she's ever going to win the nomination anyway, but Republicans would be making the same mistake that Dems made last year if they assumed Waters couldn't possibly win a GE. There isn't even one Democrat in the country that I think would be DOA against Trump. Polarization is way too high right now.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »

I highly doubt it, but I'd love to see it happen. I don't see her being able to win over white primary (let alone general election) voters in Iowa like Obama did, even if she can replicate his success in the black belt. If she somehow did get the nomination, it would likely ensure that Trump retains his share of the white working class vote and improves with college educated white voters.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2017, 05:30:50 PM by Cal »

She'd be a lot of fun in a nationwide election, and she's someone I genuinely do really like, but I can't see her winning a primary (no offense to her. Like I said, I really do like her a lot). Contrary to what a lot of people here have said, I think the person nominated will be someone who campaigns with a calm and steady hand. Rep. Waters likes to antagonize Trump, chant for his impeachment, and so on. The nominee, I think, will ultimately campaign based on showing their maturity, professionalism, emotional intelligence, and leadership in comparison to Trump, while occasionally criticizing him but not 24/7 and basing a whole campaign on it, which I can see Rep. Waters doing just for fun. Clinton had a very detailed policy plan, but devoted way too much of her general election campaign to criticizing Trump, trolling him on Twitter, and engaging with him (basically playing into his plan). The 2020 nominee should spend most of their time on themselves in order to contrast them with Trump, highlighting their policies and how they're beneficial, and projecting themselves as a calm and rational leader. As much as I like Rep. Waters, I think she'd troll Trump way too much.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 07:37:50 PM »

I am a centrist, and I like Waters, but she probably would not win unless she had a large majority of black voters.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 11:58:39 PM »

Rep. Waters is a massive FF but she would never water down her message to appease triggered white snowflakes so no she has no chance.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:06 PM »

Waters and Barbara Lee are among the best in many ways, I'd support either one of them, but don't think that either of them will run.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »

I am a centrist, and I like Waters, but she probably would not win unless she had a large majority of black voters.
BundouYMB

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »

Yes, I think she'd have a very good chance, and I would vote for her, donate to her, and volunteer for her.

Unfortunately, I don't think she'll run.
BundouYMB

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »

To elaborate: #TheResistance + black voters combined will make up a majority of Democratic primary voters, and Waters would have HUGE appeal to both of these blocs. Anyone who thinks she couldn't win the nomination is kidding themselves.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 12:11:09 AM »

To elaborate: #TheResistance + black voters combined will make up a majority of Democratic primary voters, and Waters would have HUGE appeal to both of these blocs. Anyone who thinks she couldn't win the nomination is kidding themselves.
There is the tiny fact that she'll be 82 on inauguration day... that's a full 3 years older than Sanders and 8 older than Trump. So yeah, pretty sure she won't be running.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 12:54:43 AM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2018, 12:56:19 AM »

No, but imagine her beating Trump in the general! All of the sweet Trumplican tears!
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 01:17:46 AM »

She's hilarious but she's got no chance for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure she's fine in her very safe house seat where she can troll Trump without having to worry.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »

God please no.
LeRaposa
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.91

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »

No. She's one of the most corrupt members of Congress.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies