Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does Maxine Waters have a chance at winning the 2020 Dem nomination?  (Read 1716 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:49:02 PM »

Really, does she. I disagree with Rep. Maxine "Auntie Maxine" Waters (D-Calif.) on some issues, but I like her combative style. If she decides to run, she would be the oldest president in American history at age 82.

If she reconsiders and decides to run, would she run a vanity campaign, or would it be a serious campaign?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »

What?

Obviously not. not, and not.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »

I have a feeling the "muh anti-establishment" may sink her. And as only a US rep, she may not have a solid enough base to overcome that.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:59 PM »

I do like her, but she's hardly at the top of the list.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:04:30 PM »

lol
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:59:53 AM »

I have a feeling the legitimate adversarial feelings toward the political establishment may sink her. And as only a US rep, she may not have a solid enough base to overcome that.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »

I don't think she does.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »

God no.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:34:19 AM »

I consider her one of the most vile Democratic officeholders currently in office.

Her running for office would force other Democrats to go on the record of whether or not they'd support her if she got the nomination, whether or not they thought she's qualified, too extreme, etc.  Their answers will be part of the public record.  Having to answer is a no-win situation.  She's not a black candidate in the tradition of Harris or Booker (or Obama); she's a black candidate in the tradition of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.  (Shirley Chisholm was one of a kind and an FF back in the day.)
Rjjr77
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:35:18 AM »

Guaranteed Trump Re-election if she did
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »

I consider her one of the most vile Democratic officeholders currently in office.

Her running for office would force other Democrats to go on the record of whether or not they'd support her if she got the nomination, whether or not they thought she's qualified, too extreme, etc.  Their answers will be part of the public record.  Having to answer is a no-win situation.  She's not a black candidate in the tradition of Harris or Booker (or Obama); she's a black candidate in the tradition of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.  (Shirley Chisholm was one of a kind and an FF back in the day.)

No, because she'd be a fringe candidate with no chance. I don't recall any Democrats being pushed on those questions about Dennis Kucinich.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »

No, because she'd be a fringe candidate with no chance. I don't recall any Democrats being pushed on those questions about Dennis Kucinich.

But they WERE asked this about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »

No.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:20 PM »

But they WERE asked this about Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

Uh, what? I don't remember that ever being asked about Al Sharpton. Jesse Jackson actually won states in the primary, so he wasn't a fringe candidate ala Sharpton and Kucinich.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

I live w/in 1.5-2 miles of where she was born and I work even closer.
No, she has no chance at winning a presidential nomination.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »

I'd vote for her in the primary, to get Trump reelected.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

And then you'd feel how the ironic Trump supporters felt if she actually ended up beating him, lol.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »

No, her solution to todays problems is "impeachment" as if we won't face the same issues under Pence.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 07:58:18 PM »

And then you'd feel how the ironic Trump supporters felt if she actually ended up beating him, lol.

Trump needs to get re-elected on his own merits.

America is potentially stupid enough to elect Maxine Waters if the right set of circumstances occur.  It's not likely, but it's now possible.

As for her legitimate adversarial feelings:  Ms. Waters has contempt for white folks, and does little to hide this.  I consider her someone who would decide all issues between "black" interests and "white" interests (whatever they are) not on the merits, but on her desire to even up history; to do as evil men did to black folks in the Jim Crow South.  If this is how folks want to right past wrongs, then, by all means, let's have at it at the ballot box.  Somehow, I doubt that will provide any healing or promote working understanding between people, but I don't think Maxine Waters cares about that one iota.
James Monroe

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »

If she's was much younger Waters would be the perfect candidate to go against Trump. Waters is a fierce leader who would hopefully overcome the barrier of being a WOC against a media that is eager  to take down any powerful women willing to challenge the patriarchy.  I couldn't think many congressional people who could help unite the Democratic base, as just about all self-identified Democrats I know absolutely worship her. The main thing challenging her statue beyond her age and just being a congressional representative is the racism and misogyny that pollute the country, though Trump unpopularity could help secure a victory for Waters.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »

If she's was much younger Waters would be the perfect candidate to go against Trump. Waters is a fierce leader who would hopefully overcome the barrier of being a WOC against a media that is eager  to take down any powerful women willing to challenge the patriarchy.  I couldn't think many congressional people who could help unite the Democratic base, as just about all self-identified Democrats I know absolutely worship her. The main thing challenging her statue beyond her age and just being a congressional representative is the racism and misogyny that pollute the country, though Trump unpopularity could help secure a victory for Waters.

Roll Eyes
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

This my friends, is why Democrats will not defeat Trump in 2020.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »

This my friends, is why Democrats will not defeat Trump in 2020.

James Monroe is a troll account
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »

This guy needs to call Invent Help.  I think he's invented a new style of Political Correctness that may not be patented, lol.
James Monroe

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:05 PM »

I don't see what issue people have with my point of analysis. If Maxine Waters was younger and had a higher position in power such as senator or governor, she could be a formable candidate to run against Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies