Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should have resigned over Lewinsky affair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:07:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should have resigned over Lewinsky affair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gillibrand: Bill Clinton should have resigned over Lewinsky affair  (Read 5335 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:27 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/us/politics/gillibrand-bill-clinton-sexual-misconduct.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:09 PM »

RIP Gillibrand
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »

I disagree. It's not like either Clinton is especially popular within the party right now. Hillary is being blamed for losing the 2016 elections...and Bill quite possibly is at blame for losing Hillary the 2008 nomination.

This doesn't help Gillibrand, but it doesn't really hurt her....and let's face it, an incumbent Al Gore probably would have beaten Dubya.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:21:26 AM »

I disagree. It's not like either Clinton is especially popular within the party right now. Hillary is being blamed for losing the 2016 elections...and Bill quite possibly is at blame for losing Hillary the 2008 nomination.

This doesn't help Gillibrand, but it doesn't really hurt her....and let's face it, an incumbent Al Gore probably would have beaten Dubya.

That's not what I meant.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:26:08 AM »

This is a gutsy move. She’s sticking by her principles, which is good.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:33:28 AM »

I don't believe this will impact her. The Clintons have no cards to play after losing to Donald fcking Trump. Nobody cares about siding with them anymore.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:40:09 AM »

That's not what I meant.

Yeah she's going on the list now.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 12:42:34 AM »

That's not what I meant.

Even if we assume Hillary had Vince Foster killed (which probably did happen), that's a huge step down from placing a hit on a sitting Senator (assuming that's what you are referring to).
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »

Like her mentor Hillary, Gillibrand changes with the wind

Gillibrand in 2016:

I was truly honored that President Bill Clinton campaigned for me

https://medium.com/@SenGillibrand/why-i-m-supporting-hillary-clinton-for-president-9bff244ca353
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »

Gillibrand also announced today that she's donating away any money that she received from Al Franken's PAC:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/360738-gillibrand-to-donate-money-from-frankens-pac-to-group-combatting-sexual

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 12:57:26 AM »

Gillibrand in 2016:

https://medium.com/@SenGillibrand/why-i-m-supporting-hillary-clinton-for-president-9bff244ca353

Aren’t you just upset that she’s a potential competitor to Harris? Yes, you are. Half the forum is convinced this is RIP for her career so I suppose it’d be one more of the few times a politician has flipped to the suicidal position.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 01:00:13 AM »

Gillibrand in 2016:

Aren’t you just upset that she’s a potential competitor to Harris? Yes, you are. Half the forum is convinced this is RIP for her career...

Not me.  I think this is politically shrewd.  No one actually wants to defend Bill Clinton anymore.  I think there's more upside than downside in her saying this.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 02:15:15 AM »

Smart move. The Clintons have little credibility left, furthers her as a fighter of misogynistic abuse and endears her to the progressive wing. Win win win.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 02:37:00 AM »

Gillibrand in 2016:

Aren’t you just upset that she’s a potential competitor to Harris? Yes, you are. Half the forum is convinced this is RIP for her career so I suppose it’d be one more of the few times a politician has flipped to the suicidal position.
Weird reply. Btw you’re attributing other people’s opinions to me. Please don’t.

Its a shrewd move, no one wants to be associated with the Clintons anymore and she’s probably one of the 2020 contenders who have been most closely associated with them over the years. So I can see why she’s trying to distance herself.

But she also comes across as a massive hypocrite, considering she wasnt bothered by this when she was fundraising and campaigning with Bill for all those years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:00:22 AM »

Gillibrand in 2016:

Weird reply. Btw you’re attributing other people’s opinions to me. Please don’t.

Its a shrewd move, no one wants to be associated with the Clintons anymore and she’s probably one of the 2020 contenders who have been most closely associated with them over the years. So I can see why she’s trying to distance herself.

But she also comes across as a massive hypocrite, considering she wasnt bothered by this when she was fundraising and campaigning with Bill for all those years.

I was referring to other posters, not you.

I've met Bill and worked on his wife's campaign with him before. It doesn't mean I approved of his behavior at the time at all. In my view, Hillary should have left him. On the other hand, how she deals with her family is her business. You can support and work with people without approving of everything they did. There isn't a single politician on the national stage today who I agree with on everything or approve of everything they did in their careers. That doesn't mean I won't support one or more of them if I am involved in politics.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 06:33:47 AM »

Gillibrand in 2016:

Gillibrand considered Hillary her mentor of sorts. So, I don't think HRC would be happy but Hillary has little power or leverage apart from fundraising which is way over-rated & big donor $ can actually have some liabilities in the Dem primary.

Having said that, Gillibrand was more conservative than Hillary when she was the in House. She was a true blue dog & now she wants to be to the left of Sanders, co-sponsoring every obsolete Left Wing policy including on worker related organizations & what not. She is a co-sponsor on every possibel progressive policy - From Lifting the Cap & expanding Social Security, Wall Street Speculation Tax, Free  College, Glass Steagal, Medicare-for-all & so on. You name it & she is there.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »

She's exactly right.  Clinton should have quit in 1998 and let Gore take over.  The Democrats were on the verge of expanding the coalition that had crystallized in 1992.  Effectively, the Monica scandal allowed the Republicans to run with the morality issue and sent the entire evangelical vote their way. 

I just want the Clintons to go away.  And I'm saying this as someone who voted for Hillary last year.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:13 AM »

It's looking increasingly likely that the race will boil down to two political veterans in their late 70s.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »

“Ken Starr spent $70 million on a consensual blowjob. Senate voted to keep POTUS WJC. But not enough for you @SenGillibrand? Over 20 yrs you took the Clintons’ endorsements, money, and seat. Hypocrite,” former Hillary Clinton adviser Philippe Reines tweeted late Thursday, at Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »

Refreshing to hear ... wouldn't vote for her, but I kind of like her.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »

That's not what I meant.

Even if we assume Hillary had Vince Foster killed (which probably did happen), that's a huge step down from placing a hit on a sitting Senator (assuming that's what you are referring to).
You have to be kidding.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »

lmao this won't hurt her. Enough people hate the Clintons to agree with her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

lmao this won't hurt her. Enough people hate the Clintons to agree with her.

"Hate" is a strong word.  Most Dems like the Clintons, yet enough at least retrospectively think that Bill was a creep in his personal life that this dig at him isn't going to hurt her.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

One thing to clarify on my earlier comments: I said that this may be "shrewd" on Gillibrand's part, but I actually don't think her comments were pre-meditated.  That is, she didn't walk into the interview, having decided that she was going to say this.  She only went there when the interviewer pressed her on the subject, and listening to the audio, there's a long pause before she goes ahead and says yes, he should have resigned.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »

The first thing I thought was that this will get 'Clintonworld' annoyed; they blacklisted Senator McCaskill after she made similar comments in 2007, apparently joked about Ted Kennedy dying in 2009 etc etc.

All this will do is mean that a small band of Hillary die-hards won't vote for Gillibrand in the primary, like 2-3 staffers will run their mouths and a couple of donors will turn away.

However both 2008 and 2016 really show that whatever consists of 'Clintonworld' is mostly deadwood
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies