What if Al Franken doesn’t resign and Roy Moore loses?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if Al Franken doesn’t resign and Roy Moore loses?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What if Al Franken doesn’t resign and Roy Moore loses?  (Read 1584 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:49:00 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2017, 11:52:16 PM by 136or142 »

Ok, let's get to the heart of the matter then, if Al Franken resigns (or is expelled) shouldn't Trump also resign or be impeached/convicted?

I seriously can't understand why Trump is given a pass by seemingly nearly everyone.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »

Heh, nobody responded to my point.  It seems even Atlas Poster for some reason think Trump deserves to be treated differently than everybody else.  Makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

Nobody needs to wait for Mueller's investigation.  There is way more than enough evidence to impeach and convict Donald Trump and remove him from the Presidency right now.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:32 AM »

He isn't given a pass, we just don't have the power to do anything about it.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:48 AM »

You have the same personal power to do something about Trump as you have to do about Franken.  You have even more power to do something about Roy Moore, especially if you live in Alabama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »

I mean, this should really go without saying, but I'm not sure everyone gets it:

What is "fair" is not really a factor in these political decisions about who should or should not be pushed out of office.  Same with Hollywood cancelling movies with Louis CK or Kevin Spacey or whatever.  Hollywood wants to make money.  That is what is driving their decisions.  The Hollywood moguls cancelling House of Cards or replacing actors in movies aren't doing it because they personally feel moral horror over what the actors have done.  They're doing it because the PR hit they would take from continuing those projects would cost them money.

Same logic applies to the political realm.  Dems choosing to stand behind Franken or not and Republicans choosing to stand behind Trump or Moore or not are doing so based on a political calculation, not because their own personal moral compass is telling them to do this or that.

And so, as long as the public itself is going to be inconsistent about how serious an offense one must commit before being booted from office, the politicians will be too.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 02:42:18 PM »

You have the same personal power to do something about Trump as you have to do about Franken.  You have even more power to do something about Roy Moore, especially if you live in Alabama.

So none?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »

So none?

You can phone your House Member demanding that they start the impeachment process against President Trump just as you can phone your U.S Senator demanding that they tell the ethics panel to take seriously the charge(s) against Al Franken.

In the case of Roy Moore a person can donate money to the candidates and, if they live in Alabama, vote.

Again, I simply do not understand why so many people are insisting on the resignations of Moore (as a candidate) and Franken (as a Senator) but not saying anything about Trump. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »

Again, I simply do not understand why so many people are insisting on the resignations of Moore (as a candidate) and Franken (as a Senator) but not saying anything about Trump. 

Because, as I said in my previous post, the calls to resign or not are political.  Individual members of Congress are seen as disposable.  Dems can get away with distancing themselves from Franken because the Democratic party electorate nationwide isn't going to throw a tantrum if they do so, in the way that the Republican party electorate would if Republican leaders tried to throw Trump under the bus.  And that's because the POTUS is seen as a culture war symbol in a way that an individual Senator is not.

I mean, really, it's the same reason why Dems immediately threw Anthony Weiner under the bus over sexting, but did not call on Bill Clinton to resign over Lewinsky.  It's because individual members of Congress are expendable.  I noted this at the time of the Weiner scandal:

EDIT: I mean, look, these are the actual words used by Tim Kaine, regarding Weiner:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If that's what Kaine thinks, then was he also in favor of Clinton resigning back in 1998?

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies