What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean?  (Read 2510 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:46 AM »

https://nytimes.com/2017/07/31/well/family/binge-drinking-drops-among-teenagers.html

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/25/5748178/todays-teenagers-are-the-best-behaved-generation-on-record

https://www.vox.com/a/teens

http://www.businessinsider.com/generation-z-sex-alcohol-driving-study-2017-9

http://theguardian.com/fashion/fashion-blog/2014/jul/28/real-reason-french-women-have-stopped-sunbathing-topless

Study after study shows that teenagers today are the most obedient in a long time. What's causing this? What might this suggest about their political views now and in the future?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:06:04 AM »

This isn't as good as it sounds-

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »

I guess they are called Generation Z, and per the metric of the book Generations (the four generational types repeat themselves), they would be a repeat of the Silent Generation, which was supposedly obedient (and payed the price having skipped being rebellious as youths, by being unusually susceptible to a mid-life crisis). Your mileage may vary, but I thought I would mention it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:05:47 AM »

I guess they are called Generation Z, and per the metric of the book Generations (the four generational types repeat themselves), they would be a repeat of the Silent Generation, which was supposedly obedient (and payed the price having skipped being rebellious as youths, by being unusually susceptible to a mid-life crisis). Your mileage may vary, but I thought I would mention it.

So Millennials are the Greatest Generation?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »

So Millennials are the Greatest Generation?

Correct, or what the book Generations called the GI Generation.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »

Our society is less oppressive and covered up than it used to be (for the most part). There really isn't much for teens to be rebelling against in terms of social causes.

If anything, they see adults acting totally irresponsibly and their form of rebellion is by being mature and boring. 
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 05:15:24 PM »

They're being raised by Millennials. 
Hydera

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »

Basically this, Have video games for boys then netflix and smartphones for both genders and you get a generation of kids who don't rebel as much as other generations growing up did.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

They're being raised by Millennials. 
Teenagers (born 1997–2004)? Must've been a whole lot of teen pregnancies back then.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 07:38:10 PM »

Basically this, Have video games for boys then netflix and smartphones for both genders and you get a generation of kids who don't rebel as much as other generations growing up did.
Why would video games and smartphones make them rebel less?
Our society is less oppressive and covered up than it used to be (for the most part). There really isn't much for teens to be rebelling against in terms of social causes.

If anything, they see adults acting totally irresponsibly and their form of rebellion is by being mature and boring. 
Haven't age restrictions increased over time?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:28 PM »

Also, the degree to which they and their parents obey authority gives me the creeps: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Dozens-of-Students-Ordered-to-Get-Blood-Test-Over-Can-of-Beer-442932733.html?ll
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »

Now that's just f**king crazy. Same as requiring drug tests for student athletes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:33:24 AM »

One could probably attribute the decline in alcohol use among teens with the increased use of marijuana compared to previous generations, no?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:34:58 AM »

One could probably attribute the decline in alcohol use among teens with the increased use of marijuana compared to previous generations, no?

Clearly marijuana is a gateway drug to not drinking alcohol. Tongue
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 12:21:40 AM »

This is terrible news. In my day, I wouldn't have put up with the crap that today's teens are forced to put up with.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 01:21:38 AM »

Marijuana use doesn't seem to have increased that much since 2000.

https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/mtf_students_pastyear_mj_use_2016.jpg

https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/mtf_12thgraders_dailyuse_cig_mj_2016.jpg

This is terrible news. In my day, I wouldn't have put up with the crap that today's teens are forced to put up with.
Good for you. Civil disobedience is key to maintaining a liberal democracy.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:22:19 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 01:25:14 AM by darklordoftech »

Marijuana use doesn't seem to have increased that much since 2000.

https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/mtf_students_pastyear_mj_use_2016.jpg

https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/mtf_12thgraders_dailyuse_cig_mj_2016.jpg

I can't help but notice that in the first half of the 1990s, teenager were disobeying authority in large numbers.

Good for you. Civil disobedience is key to maintaining a liberal democracy.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 12:53:05 AM »

The Vietnam War was made the Boomers rebel under the leadership of the Silents. What will make Generation (whatever comes after Z) rebel under the leadership of the Zs?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:27 AM »

Well, we grew up in a world where we didn't really have to do anything to be entertained. We grew up being totally content staying home and playing video games, browsing the internet, and texting. Really the only people that drink excessively, smoke pot, and have pregnancy scares are the "troubled kids".
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

There is enormous contentness and complacency in American life for young people.  We're becoming the people on that spaceship in WALL-E --- I look around and 90% of people are glued to a screen, whether its a laptop, a desktop computer, a tablet, a smartphone.

Personally, I'm bored as hell.  I've spent most of my time on the Internet since 1999.  I'm getting tired of it.  And yet as I say this, I'm on the Internet.  You just can't pull yourself away.  You go outside for a walk and then about 10 minutes in, you have to go back online.

The youngest kids all have their tablets and a lot of the boys have their video games where they can fight in wars and express any anger they might have by blowing things up.  That's it.  They're satisfied.  Don't bother them.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »

Well, we grew up in a world where we didn't really have to do anything to be entertained. We grew up being totally content staying home and playing video games, browsing the internet, and texting. Really the only people that drink excessively, smoke pot, and have pregnancy scares are the "troubled kids".

That does make the silent generation analogy fit somewhat since I think those were basically the social norms in the 50s. I guess Generation Z is just a more diverse and socially tolerant (when it comes to things like LGBT rights) version of that generation.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »

There is enormous contentness and complacency in American life for young people.  We're becoming the people on that spaceship in WALL-E --- I look around and 90% of people are glued to a screen, whether its a laptop, a desktop computer, a tablet, a smartphone.

Personally, I'm bored as hell.  I've spent most of my time on the Internet since 1999.  I'm getting tired of it.  And yet as I say this, I'm on the Internet.  You just can't pull yourself away.  You go outside for a walk and then about 10 minutes in, you have to go back online.

The youngest kids all have their tablets and a lot of the boys have their video games where they can fight in wars and express any anger they might have by blowing things up.  That's it.  They're satisfied.  Don't bother them.
I'd go outside if there were people outside to interact with. I also remember that my parents wouldn't let me outside and that I couldn't drive for much of my life.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:01 PM »

The Vietnam War was made the Boomers rebel under the leadership of the Silents. What will make Generation (whatever comes after Z) rebel under the leadership of the Zs?

Impossible to say. For that type of rebellion to take place you need a semi-prosperous society where people's basic material needs are met. Looking at the way things are going right now it's tough to see us getting there, especially if we face catastrophic climate change. Though I suppose between the depression and WWII it might have been tough to see things getting better if you were an adult at the time.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »

its bcuz people are getting better
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »

It sounds like schools have everyone cajoled into obedience. If schools back in my day did the things that schools today do, they'd be sued.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies