What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the increasingly obedient nature of teenagers mean?  (Read 2579 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« on: November 23, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »

Well, we grew up in a world where we didn't really have to do anything to be entertained. We grew up being totally content staying home and playing video games, browsing the internet, and texting. Really the only people that drink excessively, smoke pot, and have pregnancy scares are the "troubled kids".

That does make the silent generation analogy fit somewhat since I think those were basically the social norms in the 50s. I guess Generation Z is just a more diverse and socially tolerant (when it comes to things like LGBT rights) version of that generation.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:01 PM »

I guess they are called Generation Z, and per the metric of the book Generations (the four generational types repeat themselves), they would be a repeat of the Silent Generation, which was supposedly obedient (and payed the price having skipped being rebellious as youths, by being unusually susceptible to a mid-life crisis). Your mileage may vary, but I thought I would mention it.
The Vietnam War was made the Boomers rebel under the leadership of the Silents. What will make Generation (whatever comes after Z) rebel under the leadership of the Zs?

Impossible to say. For that type of rebellion to take place you need a semi-prosperous society where people's basic material needs are met. Looking at the way things are going right now it's tough to see us getting there, especially if we face catastrophic climate change. Though I suppose between the depression and WWII it might have been tough to see things getting better if you were an adult at the time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies