Heinrich is 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:48:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Heinrich is 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Heinrich is 2020  (Read 2344 times)
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2017, 07:26:20 AM »

“Heinrich is 2020”
The Ballad of a Beautiful Man
No homo tho

WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 07:46:59 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 08:41:24 AM by WestVegeta »

CHAPTER I: THE CALL

OCTOBER 17, 2018

“-oh, by the way, happy birthday, Mr. Heinrich!”

“Thank you, Stacy.”

As his young staffer left the room, the Senator began to rub the bridge of his perfectly formed nose and turned his attention towards the stack of paperwork sprawled across his desk. A bill to prevent oil exploration in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge wasn’t the best birthday present he’d ever received, but work had to be done.

He started to thumb through the mound in front of him when his desk phone rang. “I wonder if that’s Jeff.” he thought, wondering if his equally busy friend, and soon-to-be former colleague, from Arizona was on the other side. However, the voice on the other hand was different that whose he’d expected.

“Hello, Senator Heinrich, Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you so much, but, erm, who is this?”

“I’m Rahm Emanuel, mayor of Chicago.”

“What the hell?” Martin thought, attractively. “Why would Rahm Emanuel of all people be calling me?”

“If you don’t mind me asking, Mayor Emanuel, why did you call me.”

“Look, as you likely know, I was President Obama’s Chief of Staff, and before that, an advisor to President Clinton-”

“I’m aware.”

“So, how would you like to join that club yourself?”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“How would you like to be President of the United States, Martin?”

Heinrich was taken aback. He was too involved in his current job, serving the people of New Mexico, to embark on such an undertaking. “Plus, I’m not nearly experienced enough, and I’m not sure if I even want to!” he mused.

“-Martin?”

Martin was pulled back to the conversation.

“I-I’m sorry, Mr. Emanuel, I could never be President. I’m devoted to serving my constituents here., and I still have re-election to worry about."

“That’s what he thought you’d say.”

“He?”

“President Clinton. He’s had his eye on you for a while.”

Once again, Senator Heinrich was bewildered by what he was hearing.

“Between you and I, Senator Heinrich, Bill isn’t too happy with the Missus’ choices. He thinks that Senator Booker’s ties to Wall Street and Big Pharma are going to be a liability in the primary, and that the rumors going around about Mnuchin of all people funding Senator Harris aren’t any better. The slightest trace of scandal on our nominee will be used by that goddamn tangerine to bolster himself. But you, you’re spotless! So he had me reach out to you, strictly off the books, by the way, to see if, just maybe, you’d be interested.”

“Well, I certainly appreciate that, but I don’t know if I’d be up to the task, Mr. Emanuel.”

“That’s alright, just consider it. Happy Birthday, Martin.”

“Thank you.”

Rahm hung up.

The Senator sat back in his chair, utterly shocked by the surreal conversation he just had.

“An offer to be President.” Martin mused, “now THAT’s one hell of a birthday present.”
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »

No homo tho
Not that there's anything wrong with that
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »

Excited for this!
kyc0705

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »

I like the story so far, but frankly, I want someone to write a Very Homo version Tongue
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »

I have not seen any Heinrich timelines so far. Go on.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 02:24:48 PM by WestVegeta »

CHAPTER II: ELECTION NIGHT

NOVEMBER 6, 2018

Martin, in all his chiseled glory, sailed to victory that night, retaining his Senate seat. However, many of his Democratic colleagues were less fortunate than he.

After his display of incredible competence handling Hurricane Irma, the already-popular Governor Rick Scott handily beat Senator Bill Nelson of Florida for his seat. Joe Donnelly of Indiana narrowly lost to Rep. Todd Rokita, the Republican nominee after a brutal primary. Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, after months of mulling over whether to run again, ultimately decided to try and keep her Senate seat, and subsequently lost to State Sen. Tom Campbell.

However, the Democrats managed a few victories of their own. Joe Manchin kept his seat, as the sole Democratic representative for West Virginia. Claire McCaskill retained hers, as did Sherrod Brown, John Tester, Tammy Baldwin, and Tim Kaine. Nevada ended up going to Jacky Rosen, and Arizona went from completely red to completely blue (or vice-versa, according to Atlas). After both McCain and Martin’s close friend, Jeff Flake, declined to run for re-election, their Senate seats were inherited by Kirsten Synema and astronaut Mark Kelly. And following the revelation of Ted Cruz’s sexual assault accusations by two of his aides, Beto O’Rourke barely eked out a half-point win against the world’s most punchable man.

The “Blue Wave”, as pundits began to label it, also saw the Party of Jackson gain 26 seats, leading to a narrow majority. However, the nature of the victory was much more troubling: many of these seats were in traditionally conservative areas, such as wealthy coastal areas and rural areas. While the candidates figured out what message would best suit their constituencies, there was no unified Democratic message. The party was split between Blue Dogs, Clintonesque Neoliberals, and Progressives. And all three of these factions were going to be duking it out over the next three years, each of them with their own twist on the Democrat platform.

And in the middle of it all was Martin Heinrich. He was, above all, dedicated to defending the environment and the health of the average citizen. He was certainly populist, but didn’t have the progressive bent that his fellow Congressmen like Senators Warren and Brown did. He wasn’t conservative enough to be Blue Dog, but his relative looseness on gun control would be appealing enough to that demographic. And while he wasn’t nearly as crazy about free trade as the neoliberal wing, his strong environmental tendencies would definitely see a Heinrich presidency’s US re-entering the international climate change crusade, and a more welcoming attitude towards immigrants, as seen by his intense support of the DREAM Act.

That is, if he would run.

Martin slipped away from his relatively modest watch party to get some fresh air outside. Julie, his wife, followed him.

“So, what do you think, honey?”

“About?”

“Running?”

“I’d say it went well, Jules”, said Martin, a hint of relief escaping with his laugh.

“Not for that…” she said, as a grin crept across her face

“Oh, THAT. I don’t know, hun, tonight’s been good for us, but the party’s being pulled in a lot of directions, and I don’t think I fit into any of them.”

“Who knows, maybe you could bring them together.” she said, loving wrapping herself around her husband’s beefy arm. Lucky.

“Who knows…” he said, looking out into the starlit sky with his wife.

Thoughts about his talk with Rahm were brought back into the forefront of his mind, after he buried them for the past few weeks so he could continue to focus on re-election. “At least I have a few months to think about it,” he mused.

“I doubt anyone announces before April, and we’ll see by then. It’s going to be a crowded field.”

WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 08:42:59 PM by WestVegeta »

Chapter III will probably be out tomorrow!
DFL

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

And following the revelation of Ted Cruz’s sexual assault accusations by two of his aides, Beto O’Rourke barely eked out a half-point win against the world’s most punchable man.

Big if true
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:45:27 AM »

Damnnn Ted, but would love to see a Heinrich 2020 run irl!
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »

Lied about Chapter III being done by Sunday, but I'll get it done tonight. Swim practice and Five AP courses doesn't make for a forgiving schedule :/
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:01 PM »

Amazing timeline. A+
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:59:39 PM »

It'll be even better once I crank chapter 3 out
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »

CHAPTER III: CORY IN THE HOUSE

APRIL 23, 2019

It was a bleak and rainy April day in Trenton, New Jersey, but for one man in the press room of the CURE Insurance Arena, it was all sunshine and roses. That man was Cory Anthony Booker, and the announcement he was about to make was the first step towards becoming President of the United States. He recited the speech he’d prepared repeatedly, anxiously gazing up at the clock in the room until his aide stepped in.

“Mr. Booker, it’s time!”, his devoted staffer said, excitedly.

“Thank you, Ron.”

The former Newark mayor stepped up to the podium, as applause roared.

“Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Just over two years ago, the message you heard all across our nation was that we were at a crossroads. We had a choice, a choice between the status quo and something bold and different. The choice was made for change. And two years, three months, and three days later, we have witnessed the damage that change has done. Now, we are once again at a crossroads. However, our decision, this time, is between deepening the divides that have wounded our country, demagoguery, and exclusion, and bringing the people together again, responsible leadership, and the creation of a more tolerant, more loving society. And today, I am here to ask you to choose me. I, Cory Booker, am running for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.”

Cheers erupted through the crowd as all news stations’ representatives began elbowing each other for the perfect shot of the man who could become the 46th President. As the speech finished up, pundits began frantically tapping away at their keyboards to write out their thoughts on the new revelation. The reactions, as usual with politics, were across the spectrum. The neoliberal wing of the Democratic party was elated with the “first declared democratic candidate” and his entry (much to the chagrin of Rep. John Delaney), while the progressive wing of the party gnawed at the bit, waiting for their champions to announce as well.

And President Trump, of course, had his two cents as well:

“Jersey Boy Booker thinks he can take my seat from me, but he’s wrong! The American people don’t want the guy from Key & Peele!”

No, he didn’t specify which one.

TVs in every leading Democrat’s office were on, watching the coverage of Senator Booker’s announcement. It seemed as if all at once, every one of them turned on their computer, opened Microsoft Word, and began to finish up their announcement speeches as well. All except one.

Martin sat in his Albuquerque office, having spent the past few weeks continuing to sexily mull over whether or not he would run. After prayer, introspection, and consultation with staffers and close family and friends alike, he was leaning towards going for it. As he watched Booker’s announcement play out on the screen in front of him, he thought back to the conversation he had with Rahm months before.

“Senator Booker’s ties to Wall Street and Big Pharma are going to be a liability in the primary.”

Senator Heinrich couldn’t help but agree. He got along with Cory, but the scenes unfolded in his head. The American people already voted against the Wall Street-connected Hillary Clinton, and as the party moved past that point, he imagined Booker getting lambasted for that as well. Trump, as tied to the hedge fund managers and stockbrokers as he was, would make short work of him. “Corporate Cory”, thought Martin, briefly putting himself in the shoes of the President. Donald would be sure to vilify him just as he did Hillary three years before.

The best case scenario was that Booker eked out victory against Trump, and four years later, he would lose to yet another populist, albeit less crass than The Donald, who preached devotion to Main Street over Wall Street. The worst case scenario was that America would once again repudiate Clintonesque neoliberalism, and the country would be stuck with four more years of Donald Trump.

Martin knew what he had to do. He picked up his phone, tapped his wife’s contact, and called her.

“Julie, I’m gonna do it.”
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »

Very disappointed at the lack of sex scenes with Jeff Flake.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »

Well, there's a romantic lunch scene next chapter if that's any consolation!
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »

“What the hell?” Martin thought, attractively. “Why would Rahm Emanuel of all people be calling me?”
I love this already
SamTilden2020

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »

“Jersey Boy Booker thinks he can take my seat from me, but he’s wrong! The American people don’t want the guy from Key & Peele!”

Booker does look like Keegan-Michael Key TBH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keegan-Michael_Key
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies