Should Parents be Allowed to Pull the Plug on Their Children?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:01:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should Parents be Allowed to Pull the Plug on Their Children?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: The Question Above
Yes

No

Some Third Thing

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Should Parents be Allowed to Pull the Plug on Their Children?  (Read 1029 times)
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »

In a situation where a minor is alive but in very poor health, should parents be allowed to pull the plug on their children or should the consent of the patient be required?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »

No way! Them being your kids doesn't give you the right to murder them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:47 AM »

Yes, of course.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:37 AM »

What the f##k. That's literally murdering a child because their parents said so, and anyone who would say yes is a horrible person. The idea that children are their parents property needs to be beaten to a bloody pulp and destroyed.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »

What the f##k. That's literally murdering a child because their parents said so, and anyone who would say yes is a horrible person. The idea that children are their parents property needs to be beaten to a bloody pulp and destroyed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

So if a 6 year old, let's say, is brain dead or some other condition that we ourselves would favor getting the plug pulled for us, we have to let that kid just suffer and live on in that condition?  Why should a child be shown less mercy than someone making that decision for us, as adults, in cases where it's known we don't want to linger on and on with?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
« Edited: November 17, 2017, 11:13:50 AM by Torie »

So if a 6 year old, let's say, is brain dead or some other condition that we ourselves would favor getting the plug pulled for us, we have to let that kid just suffer and live on in that condition?  Why should a child be shown less mercy than someone making that decision for us, as adults, in cases where it's known we don't want to linger on and on with?

Most would draw a huge distinction between being "brain dead," and basically having no sentience, and merely having "poor health." Regarding what adults do, their preferences vary widely. I would off myself in situations, where I suspect a vast majority of adults would not. Children should not have such preferences imposed on them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »

Most would draw a huge distinction between being "brain dead," and basically having no sentience, and merely having "poor health."

Ok let me rephrase.  I have a living will.  It says no feeding tubes/blah blah blah.  I made my choice that I don't want heroic life saving treatments.....if I'm that bad let me go. 

A child can't make those choices in advance.  So why can't the parents decide?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »

You don't "pull the plug" on someone who is in poor health. That is euthanasia, and something else altogether. Should parents be allowed to pull the plug on a child whose body is sustained only by artificial means and will not recover? Yes, of course. Who else would do it? The government?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »

You don't "pull the plug" on someone who is in poor health. That is euthanasia, and something else altogether. Should parents be allowed to pull the plug on a child whose body is sustained only by artificial means and will not recover? Yes, of course. Who else would do it? The government?

Ok that's what I mean, not just poor health.  Holy fyckballs some people........
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »

Most would draw a huge distinction between being "brain dead," and basically having no sentience, and merely having "poor health."

Ok let me rephrase.  I have a living will.  It says no feeding tubes/blah blah blah.  I made my choice that I don't want heroic life saving treatments.....if I'm that bad let me go. 

Well we are making progress now. If you propose limiting the parental directives to those that would be respected by the medical profession (and no docs will not off you just because you don't like the quality of your life), that seems sensible to me at first blush (at least until I see hypo that makes me uncomfortable). No heroic measures typically obtain, where it merely delays death by a bit.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »

Well we are making progress now. If you propose limiting the parental directives to those that would be respected by the medical profession (and no docs will not off you just because you don't like the quality of your life), that seems sensible to me at first blush (at least until I see hypo that makes me uncomfortable). No heroic measures typically obtain, where it merely delays death by a bit.

Yeah I'm not saying pull the plug for a case of pneumonia or the flu........
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »

Yes. Survival of the fittest. I don't want any weak links in those with my genetic inheritance.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »

Unsure.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »

For clarification, by “poor health” I mean only being kept alive by artificial means, not something like the common cold.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:56 PM »

yes, of course (not a monster)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »

It's like, who the hell else is supposed to make the decision? The only alternative I can think of is the government, which is rather horrifying.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

indeed.  The question isn't "should parents be forced to kill their sick kids?".  "ALLOWED TO" is the verbage.  Except for the authoritarian statists and dumb people without kids, I can't think of any group that would vote "no" here.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Santander.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 03:06:03 PM »

indeed.  The question isn't "should parents be forced to kill their sick kids?".  "ALLOWED TO" is the verbage.  Except for the authoritarian statists and dumb people without kids, I can't think of any group that would vote "no" here.
Because apparently not murdering kids isn't an option.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Santander.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »

what part of "allowed to" means "must do" to you?
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 10:41:50 AM »

It doesn't. I don't believe parents ever have the right to murder their children.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »

It doesn't. I don't believe parents ever have the right to murder their children.
So, if the child is in a vegetative state with no chance of recovery, they should be left on life support until the machines break? Or are you proposing that kindergarten students compose a living will?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »

And that's a totally acceptable position to take (for a person that doesn't have kids that has a problem thinking things through and authoritarians...you're both, yes?).  But that's not what you said in your last post.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies