IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:31:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 80564 times)
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

Why do you want to get rid of one of the last Blue Dogs?

Why wouldn't you want to get rid of a blue dog in Chicago? It's not like this is a Republican area. In fact, Lipinski is to the right of Alabama's Senator-elect, LOL.

Yeah. Who cares unless they're going after Collin Peterson or one of the red state Senators.

Exactly. Districts like this are where the Justice Democrats should have been running in the first place.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »

And the 3rd Congressional is not what you think of as Chicago. I mean look at this map. Yes, the furthest NE corner of the map are in Chicago, but the vast majority of the district is in the blue-collar suburbs, with a population largely made up of religious descendents of Irish, Polish, Greek, Italian, Czech and Mexican immigrants. This district has even been called a home to the Reagan Democrats. Whether you like it or not, Lipinksi represents the values of his constituents. Outside forces trying to shoehorn in someone who doesn't represent her constituents but will toe the national party line is narrow-minded, and really appalling.

yeah dude, the southwest suburbs are well-known for their hatred of affordable healthcare and opposition to a higher minimum wage. there's a tendency in this thread to view Lipinski as some sort of champion of the working class, from the mythical "communitarian" chunk of the political compass. in truth, he's just a fossilized conservadem increasingly out of step with his district — not just on issues like abortion and LGBT rights, but on a whole host of economic issues.

Yeah I never get the idea that because there's working class immigrant groups, that somehow gives you a right to oppose LGBT rights.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

And the 3rd Congressional is not what you think of as Chicago. I mean look at this map. Yes, the furthest NE corner of the map are in Chicago, but the vast majority of the district is in the blue-collar suburbs, with a population largely made up of religious descendents of Irish, Polish, Greek, Italian, Czech and Mexican immigrants. This district has even been called a home to the Reagan Democrats. Whether you like it or not, Lipinksi represents the values of his constituents. Outside forces trying to shoehorn in someone who doesn't represent her constituents but will toe the national party line is narrow-minded, and really appalling.

yeah dude, the southwest suburbs are well-known for their hatred of affordable healthcare and opposition to a higher minimum wage. there's a tendency in this thread to view Lipinski as some sort of champion of the working class, from the mythical "communitarian" chunk of the political compass. in truth, he's just a fossilized conservadem increasingly out of step with his district — not just on issues like abortion and LGBT rights, but on a whole host of economic issues.

Yeah I never get the idea that because there's working class immigrant groups, that somehow gives you a right to oppose LGBT rights.

Discrimination is only bad if opposing it is politically convenient #ModerateHeros
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »

It's funny how out of touch people on here and nationally are with the good, humble, hardworking people of this district.  Even if Lipinski loses due to a small and angry minority, he will run in the general and win.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2017, 08:15:38 PM »

It's funny how out of touch people on here and nationally are with the good, humble, hardworking people of this district.  Even if Lipinski loses due to a small and angry minority, he will run in the general and win.

In Tennessee?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »

In Tennessee?

Sure.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:52 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2017, 09:14:11 PM by Arkansas Yankee »

Does Illinois allow primary loser to run in the general?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:36 PM »

Does Illinois allow primary loser to run in the general?

Nope
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »

Cool pic of Chicago's Republican Congressman yucking it up with Paul Ryan after the tax bill passed

News also broke today that Lipinski will be headlining the March for Life.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »

I think Gillibrand should be disciplined by schumer and other democrats. You don't endorse someone to challenge someone in your own party.

Second, Lipinski is a typical catholic democrat from a working class district. Really no different from Dan Rostenkowski or Jerry Costello.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »

I think Gillibrand should be disciplined by schumer and other democrats. You don't endorse someone to challenge someone in your own party.

Second, Lipinski is a typical catholic democrat from a working class district. Really no different from Dan Rostenkowski or Jerry Costello.
Yes, Dan Lipinski is no different from a lot of Democrats who are no longer in office. He should follow their example, and Gillibrand should be commended for helping him along.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »

He voted against the tax bill and was part of a press conference opposing it held by the Blue Dogs. So what if he's smiling in a picture with Paul Ryan?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »

He voted against the tax bill and was part of a press conference opposing it held by the Blue Dogs. So what if he's smiling in a picture with Paul Ryan?

So he's not literally a republican. The f**ker refused to endorse Obama FFS.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #138 on: December 21, 2017, 07:42:15 PM »

Yes, Dan Lipinski is no different from a lot of Democrats who are no longer in office. He should follow their example, and Gillibrand should be commended for helping him along.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #139 on: December 21, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

So he's not literally a republican. The f**ker refused to endorse Obama FFS.

I looked at the wikipedia list of Clinton endorsements in 2016.

He is not there either.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: December 21, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »

Cool pic of Chicago's Republican Congressman yucking it up with Paul Ryan after the tax bill passed

News also broke today that Lipinski will be headlining the March for Life.
Wait, why does he look exactly like Joe Manchin?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2017, 08:32:08 PM »

We have a two party system.  TWO choices for president.  The fact that Hillary/Obama won the district says that out of two bad choices, they choose the lesser evil.  That doesn't mean that the national Democratic party is in touch with the people of IL-3.  Dan L is.  
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »

Lipinski isn't a Democrat.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The district swung to the Democrats in 2016 and went for Bernie, who isn't pro-life or homophobic like Lipiniski.

This district deserves a progressive, and will elect one.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »

I personally don't care about putting effort into primarying incumbent congresscritters unless they are utterly terrible. Lipinski is a safe vote for the Democrats on everything but a couple wedge issues, which I don't see a need to cause a ruckus about (unless he would be spearheading efforts against the gays, which he is not). Not optimal if you are taking the Lipinski situation from a partisan hack perspective, but whatever. Like I said, I don't care. Lipinski will never be a deciding vote on a measure.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:34 PM »

We have a two party system.  TWO choices for president.  The fact that Hillary/Obama won the district says that out of two bad choices, they choose the lesser evil.  That doesn't mean that the national Democratic party is in touch with the people of IL-3.  Dan L is.  

lmao, you're so convinced that the views of "the people of IL-3" align with your personal politics. Would you vote for Bernie? They did.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: December 21, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »

lmao, you're so convinced that the views of "the people of IL-3" align with your personal politics. Would you vote for Bernie? They did.

It voted for Bernie largely because the 2016 primary in Chicago essentially became a proxy war for the Mayor - Rahm backed Clinton, his Hispanic opponent Chuy Garcia backed Sanders. Hispanics in Chicago ended up breaking pretty strong for Sanders thanks to this endorsement, and the 3rds Democratic Base is heavily Hispanic.

I have been meaning to make a more dedicated post in this thread with maps, and I will soon, but here is the basic point. All the white ethics that people are talking about in Southwest Cook are Republicans now - or at least a majority. The Democratic vote is now increasingly tied to the northeast third of the district and the Chicago arm which combined contain roughly half the vote. So while Lipinski probably represents everyone on both sides of the line fine, he is probably weak in a primary. The problem for dems though is that this district is the weakest of chicago metro Democratic seats. Running a staunch progressive in the General probably isn't the smartest idea.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: December 21, 2017, 11:20:20 PM »

It voted for Bernie largely because the 2016 primary in Chicago essentially became a proxy war for the Mayor - Rahm backed Clinton, his Hispanic opponent Chuy Garcia backed Sanders. Hispanics in Chicago ended up breaking pretty strong for Sanders thanks to this endorsement, and the 3rds Democratic Base is heavily Hispanic.

I have been meaning to make a more dedicated post in this thread with maps, and I will soon, but here is the basic point. All the white ethics that people are talking about in Southwest Cook are Republicans now - or at least a majority. The Democratic vote is now increasingly tied to the northeast third of the district and the Chicago arm which combined contain roughly half the vote. So while Lipinski probably represents everyone on both sides of the line fine, he is probably weak in a primary. The problem for dems though is that this district is the weakest of chicago metro Democratic seats. Running a staunch progressive in the General probably isn't the smartest idea.

The white ethnics are still voting Democrat in Oak Lawn, Chicago Ridge, Burbank, and LaGrange if just barely. The thing with this district is that do to population loss it is expanding out into exurban Will County and the eastern fringes of DuPage.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »

I personally don't care about putting effort into primarying incumbent congresscritters unless they are utterly terrible. Lipinski is a safe vote for the Democrats on everything but a couple wedge issues, which I don't see a need to cause a ruckus about (unless he would be spearheading efforts against the gays, which he is not). Not optimal if you are taking the Lipinski situation from a partisan hack perspective, but whatever. Like I said, I don't care. Lipinski will never be a deciding vote on a measure.

I mean supporting President Obama in 2012 was hardly a wedge issue
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »

The white ethnics are still voting Democrat in Oak Lawn, Chicago Ridge, Burbank, and LaGrange if just barely. The thing with this district is that do to population loss it is expanding out into exurban Will County and the eastern fringes of DuPage.

Agreed. In Mt. Greenwood they vote Republican at the top of the ticket, and Canaryville increasingly so as well. However, many of the Polish voters are still D-registered, as are many Greeks.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies