IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:21:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81869 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: March 20, 2018, 11:43:10 PM »

In IL-18, it appears Berniecrat Junius Rodriguez has just barely taken the nomination.

Junius Rodriguez
14,938   41.7%   
Brian Deters
14,127   39.5   
Darrel Miller
6,720   18.8   
35,785 votes, 100% reporting (776 of 776 precincts)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1126 on: March 20, 2018, 11:43:50 PM »

Just popped in to check the results and my god what a mess this thread is.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1127 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:21 PM »

Some day some random tankie idiot or black nationalist will be the only person to file on the D side in a Safe R seat, win the primary by default, get over 30% in the general on the votes of people who know nothing about them aside from the party label and Beet will concern troll about what this indicates for the future of the Democratic Party.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1128 on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »

Some day some random tankie idiot or black nationalist will be the only person to file on the D side in a Safe R seat, win the primary by default, get over 30% in the general on the votes of people who know nothing about them aside from the party label and Beet will concern troll about what this indicates for the future of the Democratic Party.

Oh this happened in Illinois before, where a couple LaRouche nominees won some primaries. Exactly as impactful beyond that year as you'd imagine.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1129 on: March 20, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »

Oh this happened in Illinois before, where a couple LaRouche nominees won some primaries. Exactly as impactful beyond that year as you'd imagine.
Which resulted in the brief rise of the Solidarity Party.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #1130 on: March 21, 2018, 12:13:22 AM »

I support Newman but holy moly are some of her other supporters in this thread being massively hypocritical assholes right now.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1131 on: March 21, 2018, 12:22:24 AM »

In IL-18, it appears Berniecrat Junius Rodriguez has just barely taken the nomination.

Junius Rodriguez
14,938   41.7%   
Brian Deters
14,127   39.5   
Darrel Miller
6,720   18.8   
35,785 votes, 100% reporting (776 of 776 precincts)

Safe R.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1132 on: March 21, 2018, 12:34:18 AM »

AP calls IL-03.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1133 on: March 21, 2018, 12:48:26 AM »

Well, Lipinsky beat (albeit - barely) a very strong attack (and in process has shown he has his own strength, too), but, if nothing changes, one of the next attcks will get him. On the other hand - he needs to win exactly once before next redistricting, and who knows - how Illinois districts will look after that...
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1134 on: March 21, 2018, 01:18:31 AM »

Well, now that it's over I can honestly say that it's time to get behind Lipinski, if only to show the rest of the Country that we in the state of Illinois overwhelmingly hate Illinois Nazis.

Thank you for this very mature statement. It is everyone's job to push back against neo-nazis.

It's too late. The guy already got 12,000 votes. It's the biggest show of support for Nazism in American history. And if he loses in a landslide in November, he'll just point to Le Pen's loss in 2002 and reassert that history is on his side.

Most of those people probably were not aware of that, especially with only one candidate. Despite the numbers, we should always push back against neo-nazis.

I'm a bit late to the thread, as I just recently got off work and then had had to do a system restore thanks to Microsoft....

So from what I gather we had a Conservative Democratic that is Anti-Choice win in a heavily Democratic district in Chicago and the immediate suburban areas against a Progressive and Pro-Choice Dem?

The part that I might well be missing here is where is Lipinski's record or history as a Neo-Nazi or European style Fascist?Huh

I don't take this lightly, considering that my Sister is Jewish and in my younger years a few decades back participated in various "Antifa" style demonstrations against the Nazi scum trying to take over our neighborhoods in the Pacific Northwest as well as the Industrial States of the Midwest, and a few years after getting out of College in the Midwest came back to my small Oregon Town and within a year a Native American Homeless man was murdered by two White Supremacists barely a year out of the State Pen....

Hey---- I would rather the Progressive Dem have won this race, but anyone accusing a Polish-American of being a Nazi sounds a bit off in my book...

But since I was late to the Party and most of the thread appears to have been various arguments regarding Abortion and the like and various hyperbole between several different Atlas factions instead of maybe some awesome precinct and ward maps for this primary compared and contrasted against '16 and '08 DEM PRES PRIM results, not to mention statewide Primary elections maybe matched up with Socio-Demographic Maps of CD-03, etc....

Alas, I left this thread feeling emptier than I did before I started reading, and no hard feelings to anyone involved in the passion of the moment.... Smiley

So Lipinsky will likely limp along until 2020 where he loses with a higher Primary turnout and still votes overwhelmingly with the Dems in the 'House on in the interim on virtually all significant issues.

I recall writing a 300 College Level History 15 Page paper back in the early '90s about changing and comparative voting habits in Chicago between 1848 and 1860 as various Ethnic Europeans moved into the cities in large numbers when it was the fastest growing town in America.

Chicago is one of those cities where Ethnic Politics still play heavy, especially in a Democratic Primary.

Fine... the US House doesn't determine Reproductive Rights nor Marriage Equality, and let's say the House flips in 2018, this guy will likely be on the same train as most Dems.

Progressives move on, nothing to see here and there's another election down in the line in a Safe Dem district.

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1135 on: March 21, 2018, 01:36:29 AM »

Which resulted in the brief rise of the Solidarity Party.

Well the bar for a tankie is somewhat higher. A Communist got 103,000 votes in 1932, so it would have to surpass that to become the most forceful demonstration in American history.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1136 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53:20 AM »

The part that I might well be missing here is where is Lipinski's record or history as a Neo-Nazi or European style Fascist?Huh

I don't take this lightly, considering that my Sister is Jewish and in my younger years a few decades back participated in various "Antifa" style demonstrations against the Nazi scum trying to take over our neighborhoods in the Pacific Northwest as well as the Industrial States of the Midwest, and a few years after getting out of College in the Midwest came back to my small Oregon Town and within a year a Native American Homeless man was murdered by two White Supremacists barely a year out of the State Pen....

Hey---- I would rather the Progressive Dem have won this race, but anyone accusing a Polish-American of being a Nazi sounds a bit off in my book...

I could be wrong but from what I gather, a literal holocaust denier won as the sole candidate in the GOP primary in the same district, and I assume that's who the Nazi references are to.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1137 on: March 21, 2018, 02:08:00 AM »

I could be wrong but from what I gather, a literal holocaust denier won as the sole candidate in the GOP primary in the same district, and I assume that's who the Nazi references are to.

Yes, the Nazi references are to the random some-dude Republican nominee who was the only person to file as a Republican, not to Lipinski. It's a case of a fringe nut getting the nomination of the opposing party in a safe seat. People angry that Lipinski won were claiming they'd vote for the Nazi over Lipinski, thus the outcry.

The Nazi also got 12,000 votes in an unopposed primary and people were arguing about whether most of those voters supported him for being a Nazi or whether they just filled in the only bubble without realizing what they were doing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1138 on: March 21, 2018, 02:11:56 AM »

yeah and then a couple posters engaging in some absurd hyperbole claiming that a Nazi is somehow equivalent or preferable to a conservative Democrat

btw NOVA he was endorsed by IL AFL-CIO most of the blue collar unions, so you can like that about him.  My impression is he benefits in 2020 from higher primary turnout, unless there's a challenger that can break through and appeal to the urban hispanic/black vote.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1139 on: March 21, 2018, 02:12:51 AM »

Wait if Rauner pulls the comeback then that takes away Madigan's complete control of the gerrymander, right?

Oh wait Rauner will still want to protect Lipinski. Sh*t. Goddammit guys, why couldn't you have picked Biss?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1140 on: March 21, 2018, 02:14:24 AM »

yeah and then a couple posters engaging in some absurd hyperbole claiming that a Nazi is somehow equivalent or preferable to a conservative Democrat

btw NOVA he was endorsed by IL AFL-CIO most of the blue collar unions, so you can like that about him.  My impression is he benefits in 2020 from higher primary turnout, unless there's a challenger that can break through and appeal to the urban hispanic/black/'ethnic' vote.

I never claimed it was equivalent. I said Dems should cast blank ballots for House to make the vote closer than expected in order to remind Lipinski that he needs their support too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1141 on: March 21, 2018, 02:20:23 AM »

btw NOVA he was endorsed by IL AFL-CIO most of the blue collar unions, so you can like that about him.  My impression is he benefits in 2020 from higher primary turnout, unless there's a challenger that can break through and appeal to the urban hispanic/black/'ethnic' vote.

I never claimed it was equivalent. I said Dems should cast blank ballots for House to make the vote closer than expected in order to remind Lipinski that he needs their support too.

I mean I would cast a blank vote if it were between Newman and the Nazi guy so I can't really complain about doing that, though I'm not sure about your rationale here making much sense.  Seems like some others were saying something more extreme though.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1142 on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »

Aah... make much more sense. 'Pubs selected a Neo-Nazi dude and I missed the reference because of all of the pages I had to scroll through rapidly about the Dem Primary after I got off work where there were extremely heated opinions posted to put it mildly.

Wow!!!---

I'm assuming the IL Pub Party is all over this and guy is being named, shamed, and exposed by all political quarters, religious organizations, and news outlets if this is verifiable (Which knowing Atlas we probably already have at least a dozen folks ahead if the Media Coverage) Wink

Appreciate you clarifying some statements that I found extremely confusing within the context of the CD-03 Dem Primary.... Smiley

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1143 on: March 21, 2018, 04:07:10 AM »

A shame about the result but it being this close does at least partly show (as I said in January) that a good chunk of Lipinski district wants something different. To get 49% against a what six term incumbent is impressive; in a race in this close there’s nothing much you can do.

Hopefully Dan will now understand he needs the be on his toes a bit more (he said he’d vote for the Dream Act).

I saw some people attack Newman for being too pro choice; it’s worth noting she needed the money/energy early on from women’s groups to get off the ground. It was essentially the rocket fuel that got her the Sanders\Gillibrand\union endorsements. I saw people saying Susan’s list saved Lipinski but tbh they probably just offset his losses to other outside groups.

The campaign has given him a bloody nose, and despite predictions it hasn’t killed the Democratic Party. Primaries like this are healthy.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1144 on: March 21, 2018, 05:34:56 AM »

Even a broad church needs to have walls.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1145 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »

I mean I would cast a blank vote if it were between Newman and the Nazi guy so I can't really complain about doing that, though I'm not sure about your rationale here making much sense.  Seems like some others were saying something more extreme though.

A Nazi vs. someone who doesn't hate gay people. Hmmm, tough decision, I think I'd cast a blank vote too.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1146 on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:46 AM »

Kapartsky, I guess I'm just wondering if you'd feel the same about someone who was racist? Or an antisemitie? Misogynist? Would that be terrible, or not? Is it just homophobia that wouldn't condemn someone to meet your definition of "terrible"? If they said black and white people shouldn't be married, would that make someone terrible?

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm honestly just curious. Because I'd actually think it's kind of noble that you'd look for goodness in those people, when I can't.

We live in an imperfect culture. Almost everyone in it could be accurately described a 'racist' or a 'misogynist' to some extent, depending on how puritanical you want to be. Is it 'racist' to be more scared of a black person on the street than a white person? Is it 'misogynist' to believe that a man should pay for a first date? In both cases, if you look 'objectively', the answer is yes, but such things do not make the people themselves bad.

I've known a lot of people with what I'd consider terrible beliefs which doesn't affect them being a good person - this must be judged at a more fundamental level. People are complicated, and shouldn't be put into 'terrible/non-terrible' boxes on such things.

I'm reminded of the Onion article along the lines of 'raging bigot has the best barbecue' - or something along those lines. You say that you can't find goodness in such people, but I find it hard to believe if you found out that someone you had known for a long time and who had otherwise conducted themselves well did not believe that black and white people should marry, that this would cause you to completely paint them as evil. You would probably instead try to change their mind, so to not lose a fundamentally good person to a bad belief - which is the better course of action.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1147 on: March 21, 2018, 06:40:23 AM »

Where did you get the impression that anyone cares what you think?
One can say this about any person for any post on this forum, definitely including you. Your silencing tactics will not work.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1148 on: March 21, 2018, 06:47:56 AM »

It's almost like Beet never heard of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_gubernatorial_election,_1991
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1149 on: March 21, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »

btw NOVA he was endorsed by IL AFL-CIO most of the blue collar unions, so you can like that about him.  My impression is he benefits in 2020 from higher primary turnout, unless there's a challenger that can break through and appeal to the urban hispanic/black/'ethnic' vote.

I mean I would cast a blank vote if it were between Newman and the Nazi guy so I can't really complain about doing that, though I'm not sure about your rationale here making much sense.  Seems like some others were saying something more extreme though.

A Nazi vs. someone who doesn't hate gay people. Hmmm, tough decision, I think I'd cast a blank vote too.

Well, I can certainly say I wouldn't be voting for Newman in that race. She would be objectively the worst path for the country. Thank goodness we don't have the choice between two terribles.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies