IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:08:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 80583 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« on: November 17, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »

Boooooooo! Go Dan! #TheLipIsHip

I've never donated to a political campaign before. But if this gets close, I will find some money in the couch cushions to send his way.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

The only reason Democrats tolerated Lipinski was because his district was full of Archie Bunker-like WWC voters who would bolt to the Republicans if a mainstream liberal replaced him on the ballot.
The fact that Trump performed even worse than Mitt effing Romney proves that this is no longer the case.
This is false. The district has a white majority but is incredibly diverse. It has a large, conservative polish population and socially conservative Hispanic population. A democrat would certainly win this district even if they are progressive, but that would not represent the district as well as Congressman Lipinski.

Conservatives are still under the delusion that white Urban ethnics, let alone Hispanics, are socially conservative anymore. There may be a handful of regular Catholic Church attending Polish American voters who are probably the minority of Republicans in the district anyway. But those folks are dying off and being replaced by sons and daughters who oh, even if they still attend regularly, have very different views from the Catholic hierarchy on social issues.

Lipinski's big strength is simple incumbency name recognition and constituent service. People who may not know or care much about his position on abortion or gay rights, and wouldn't like his views at the new about it, still remember him as the guy who helped get that problem with their grandmother's social security check figure it out or a recommendation written for their nephew to West Point.

As somebody who interned in Lipinksi's office this summer, I can tell you firsthand, Lipinski's Congressional District has many socially conservative Polish, Irish, and Greek voters.

Lipinski is an effective Congressman both in constituent services and getting things done on the hill. Passes many amendments, an incredibly strong fighter for STEM education, big on the T&I committee. It's a shame to see the people who lament today's partisan polarization trying to throw out one of Congress' best bipartisan members.

Bingo
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »

HRC should endorse anyone but Lipinski, as long as the Republican doesn’t support an anti-gay marriage amendment.
why?

Your signature is actually a great argument for opposing Lipinski.
I like how he is pro life, supports religious freedom, and is more moderate on this fiscal issues.  If D's want to be competitive in places like W. VA or IA again, they will need to run candidates like Lipinski.
You're making our point for us.

If we want to be competitive in Iowa, fine.

CHICAGO IS NOT IOWA.

And the 3rd Congressional is not what you think of as Chicago. I mean look at this map. Yes, the furthest NE corner of the map are in Chicago, but the vast majority of the district is in the blue-collar suburbs, with a population largely made up of religious descendents of Irish, Polish, Greek, Italian, Czech and Mexican immigrants. This district has even been called a home to the Reagan Democrats. Whether you like it or not, Lipinksi represents the values of his constituents. Outside forces trying to shoehorn in someone who doesn't represent her constituents but will toe the national party line is narrow-minded, and really appalling.

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 02:09:59 PM »

He voted against the tax bill and was part of a press conference opposing it held by the Blue Dogs. So what if he's smiling in a picture with Paul Ryan?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »

Anyone know if the district is getting hammered with ads yet?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

Newman can win this primary. No doubt about it.
Is it possible for Lipinski to replicate what Joe Lieberman did in 2006?
No. IL has a sore loser law.
So he would have to organize a massive write-in campaign?

Give it a rest dude. If your friend loses then he is finished. Done. Over. Caput. Finito.
He will be an ex-congressman.
Was just trying to quantify how much was riding on this primary. Newman is an abortionist who doesn't deserve to win.

Uh citation on the claim she’s an abortionist?
She is running a disgustingly pro-abortion campaign and her opponent is a supporter of the unborn who is also simultaneously a Democrat with a good record serving his district. The choice is obvious.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Newman vote to ditch the Hyde Amendment and back federal funding going to abortion bondsman's.

Lipinski isn't Pro-life. He's just pro-birth. His ridiculous voting record on things like Obamacare and other programs that help those people are indicative of that. Democrats can do much better than someone to the right of Rick Nolan and Tim Walz in this seat.
I don't care about the fact he voted against Obamacare. Pelosi didn't need his vote.
Also, everyone is conveniently leaving out that Lipinski has repeatedly voted against GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:40:21 PM »

But I will admit they did a solid job on those ads.

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2018, 12:33:44 PM by Fmr. Rep. Illiniwek »

Whether you like him or not, guy's 13-year track record in Congress should outweigh how he got the seat 20 to 1 at least.

This is also misleading. Throughout the 90s he worked on the staff for 3 Illinois congressmen and for the Cook County State's Attorney. Yes the years immediately preceding his first election he was in Tennessee, but he spent the bulk of the 1990s serving the people of Illinois while (probably) living primarily in Washington (Like, you know, every congressperson in modern history?).

He lived in Tennessee for 3 years. Come on...

I'm just saying, his voting record and ideological fit for the district should matter way more in 2018 than some backroom politics that occurred before an election in 2004.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »

Whether you like him or not, guy's 13-year track record in Congress should outweigh how he got the seat 20 to 1 at least.

But his record in Congress is awful?

And as I said, that is what he should be judged on, whether you judge it the way I do, or judge it the way you do. MY POINT: That should matter a whole lot more than "Daddy stole him the seat"
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »

If his dad is allow to fix, and cheat to get him his seat in Congress, then progressives have every right to throw the absolute kitchen sink to kick him out of congress. There's a lot of chat on this thread about people from outside the district but look at this gem....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So not only did his Dad drop out after the primary, but he was then the one who helped make the decision to appoint his son, who hadn't lived in state since the 90s

I'm not sure where this is from, but I can't imagine it's true, since Lipinski was involved in Chicago politics throughout the 90s. It sounds like a straight-up lie.
It’s true.
If it is indeed the case that he was involved in Chicago politics throughout the 1990s, then for sure it was also untrue to call him a carpetbagger from Tennessee. (not necessarily vice versa).
You aren't a "carpetbagger from Tennessee" if you took a job there for 3 years. The guy did work on Chicago-based political staffs throughout the 90s. Even if he was primarily working in Washington in those roles, that still means he was very involved in Illinois politics.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »

Still sort of surprised we haven't seen a bigger campaign to write-in Lipinski for the R nomination. Seems like an obvious choice given the state of the race.

I believe the "sore loser law" prevents this.

Plus I doubt we could handle, nor should the 3rd deserve, Lipinski-Newman rd. 2.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

Hahahahaha
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

Lipinski will win this time around, but I imagine it'll be his final term in office - He's not used to, you know, campaigning, and seems to only be doing this to avoid being the laughingstock at the #NoLabels after-convention dinner. Hell, maybe he even resigns six months into 2019?

Only if he can give his seat to a family member, amiright? Tongue
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

SHE'S THE REASON LUIGI'S CLOSED DOWN?? ?? ?? That was literally my family's favorite restaurant. Now, this primary is personal. fk her!!!!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

Lipinski will always have my Endorsement as one of very few actually pro-Life Dems. But his recent campaign tactics are despicable and need to stop.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »

Tip: Bet on the candidate you don't want to win, so you'll have reason to celebrate regardless of what happens. I've got twenty bucks on Lipinski.
Might have to start doing this, I've been let down by Ossoff, Quist, and Parnell, and hopefully I can cushion the blow when Lipinski wins tonight's primary by 5%.

No better time than now. He's at thirty cents on PredictIt, which is a steal.

Yeah 30 cents is a steal, though I still do see this race as pretty much over.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:02:14 AM »

Tip: Bet on the candidate you don't want to win, so you'll have reason to celebrate regardless of what happens. I've got twenty bucks on Lipinski.
Might have to start doing this, I've been let down by Ossoff, Quist, and Parnell, and hopefully I can cushion the blow when Lipinski wins tonight's primary by 5%.

No better time than now. He's at thirty cents on PredictIt, which is a steal.

Yeah 30 cents is a steal, though I still do see this race as pretty much over.

As in Newman winning easily?

Yup. Like, I think that rational betting says take the incumbent at 30 cents, but I personally would be shocked if Newman doesn't win.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

I’m really torn on this whole Lipinski thing, part of me would like to see a Liberal Democrat (Newman) hold the seat, but my more “Pragmatic” side tells me that if Newman beats Lipinski, it will encourage Democrats to nominate unelectable candidates in competitive House seats (thus costing them a House majority), and throw Centrist Democratic Senators like Manchin, Donnelly, and Heitkemp, under the bus in November, thus costing them several senate seats. Due to these disturbing facts, I begrudgingly endorse Dan Lipinski’s renomination for Illinois’s 3rd congressional district.

Yaaas! Great points too.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

Illiniwek is just busy I guess.
I know where he stands at least.
Lipinski fans are free to empty-quote it, but they don't have to.

Y'all know I stand with TT and King Dan!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »

Marie under 2,000

Daniel Lipinski*
37,433   51.3%   
Marie Newman
35,550   48.7   
72,983 votes, 77% reporting (384 of 500 precincts)

You're not necessarily a homophobe just by opposing gay marriage. And for me, it's perfectly reasonable if you still don't support it personally, while at the same time accepting that Obergefell is the law of the land.
Holy hell you are a terrible human being

please take your antagonistic trolling elsewhere.  thanks.

Seriously.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »

Wow. Will is in and Newman is leading. Lots of Cook left. Very interesting
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »

Not sure if this is enough for Newman to hold the lead, to be honest. Let's see how Cook and DuPage go.

(how many dupage precincts are even in this district lmao)

I think it says just 2.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »

Not sure if this is enough for Newman to hold the lead, to be honest. Let's see how Cook and DuPage go.

I think it says just 2.

There's only two, and one of them already came in. It had 14 votes.

Anyway, let's go Marie! Hoping she can pull it out; it's gonna be close either way.
Yeah, I hadn't checked the reporting totals for awhile.

I kinda wanna know why that tiny section of DuPage was in the 3rd.

Someone probably coughed when they were drawing the line.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies