IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:17:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 80620 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: November 18, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »

Yes! Flawless Beautiful Kirsten needs to keep endorsing real Democrats!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 03:45:11 PM »

I for one am very proud of Congressman Lipinski for his support of the unborn. He is also a dogged advocate for his constituents, an important voice regarding transportation issues, and a true freedom fighter. He deserves to have the seat for as long as he wants it.

He literally only has the seat because his dad pulled a trick to give it to him. He's a dynastic fool.

Not to mention that Lipinski is hardly a "dogged advocate for his constituents" when his constituents are significantly to his left.
Democratic district=/=massively socially liberal district

If they like Lipinski they are free to vote for him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:57:31 PM »

Yes! Flawless Beautiful Kirsten needs to keep endorsing real Democrats!
Gillibrand's a poseur, even if Lipinski needs to go.

I've always found it strange how Atlas as as a collective harps on and on about Gabbard being a phony (which is true) but thinks that Gillibrand's constant shape-shifting should be overlooked for some reason.

Because with Gillibrand it seems more likely that her current positions are close to her actual views. And there are other issues with Gabbard besides that.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 05:29:47 AM »

I really don't get why Lipinski fans are wringing their hands over this. If Lipinski is such an amazing fit for the district then he'll win re-election. If he loses, then I guess he wasn't a great fit after all. If you like Lipinski because of his positions on the issues, fine, but don't support him because he fits the stereotype of that particular slice of Chicagoland.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »

I really don't get why Lipinski fans are wringing their hands over this. If Lipinski is such an amazing fit for the district then he'll win re-election. If he loses, then I guess he wasn't a great fit after all. If you like Lipinski because of his positions on the issues, fine, but don't support him because he fits the stereotype of that particular slice of Chicagoland.
Oh, I don't doubt he will win. I'm just not a fan of Gillibrand's hypocritical political posturing. She used to be a Blue Dog too, after all and evidently didn't have a problem with conservative Dems back then...

She was also in a relatively Republican district. Notice she isn't currently supporting primary challengers of Collin Peterson or whichever of those Oregon guys is kind of moderate.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »

HRC should endorse anyone but Lipinski, as long as the Republican doesn’t support an anti-gay marriage amendment.
why?

Your signature is actually a great argument for opposing Lipinski.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:14:32 AM »

Stephen Lynch better be taking note of this primary.

He's not nearly as bad as Lipinski, but yeah, if Newman wins or even comes close, it could give Lynch's opponents momentum.

I wonder what the dynamic is in South Texas (too late for a primary this year, I know). Are Democrats there really that conservative?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »

Oh well. Lipinski will be toast in 2020 after this shows everyone how vulnerble he is.

True, if Lipinski wins tonight it won't be the 20-point margin that looked possible earlier.

I don't think this race is over quite yet though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:55:43 PM »

You're not necessarily a homophobe just by opposing gay marriage. And for me, it's perfectly reasonable if you still don't support it personally, while at the same time accepting that Obergefell is the law of the land.
Holy hell you are a terrible human being
This is Dems' problem today. If you ever disagree with them, you're "a terrible human being". Totalitarian.

You are correct. And that is why I have hoped for Lipinski's victory throughout, because this kind of absolutism on the issues is poisonous to democracy.
I'm pro-choice myself, but this kind of SJW litmus-test nonsense is the reason why Dems keep losing swing voters.

What "swing voters" are there in Chicagoland when the opponent is a literal Nazi?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »

I'm pro-SSM, (relatively) pro-choice, and pro-universal healthcare, and yet I'd vote for Lipinski just because the SJW left is so disastrous.

You also hate Palestinians so I don't think you get to play the "I'm a good rational liberal" card.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »

There is no discernible difference between evolution denial and believing a fetus is a person.

I'm fine with other beliefs, but not ones that are objectively false.

Not really, one is a belief that directly contradicts actual evidence and one is a different definition of a term.

I'm very pro-choice but this argument is just stupid.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »

I really don't understand all of you crossover Bernie/Lipinski people. They're literally as far apart as you can get. Literally the only thing in common is that they're white guys. There's nothing else there.

"Real leftists hate gays"
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 09:12:41 PM »

Gah, this is probably a mistake on the NYT website. Sad
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »

I think what NYTimes did is they entered all of Newman's numbers in the Will vote dump before they added any of Lipinski's numbers.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:36 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »

The GE isn't going to be remotely competitive so it really doesn't matter but please vote for Lipinski over the Nazi.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

Marie Newman ran a good campaign. But next time let's not go with a generic white liberal.
Yup. She pulled an Emily Cain.

Run to the district. Nominate someone pro-life, or at least not as strenuously pro-choice.

I am glad about the outcome. At least this preserves some ideological diversity within the Democratic caucus.
I mean Manchin and Cuellar and Costa were still gonna be there regardless...

I don't think running an anti-abortion candidate would be the best idea. But acting like the campaign is entirely about abortion is stupid. Find a candidate who is (1) a minority, and (2) can campaign on a variety of issues. Because there is a lot wrong with Lipinski.

In reality though I think Lipinski retires in 2020.

Also, dear homophobes in this thread: you are still scum.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »

Again:

The GE isn't going to be remotely competitive so it really doesn't matter but please vote for Lipinski over the Nazi.

You aren't helping things.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 09:45:10 PM »

While obviously the Newman supporters here who are OK with Nazis are terrible, be honest: 99% of Arthur Jones's votes in the GE will come from Republicans, not angry liberals on Atlas.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

We live to fight another day. Donna Edwards ran a spirited campaign against the incumbent in 2006 and barely lost, but she ran again in 2008 and wiped the floor with the incumbent. Let’s hope Marie Newman follows the same projectory into Congress in 2020.
Pshh, next time don't piss off the Dem base in the district. 90s-Neoliberal/Identity Politics/Any-Generic-Woman-Would-Do-ism needs to be a thing of the past.

You're calling the Bernie Sanders-endorsed primary opponent of an anti-ACA conservative Democrat "neoliberal?"

A lot of people on this forum have this bizarre idea that if you're left-wing/liberal on one issue you have to "sacrifice" by being conservative on another issue.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »

The part that I might well be missing here is where is Lipinski's record or history as a Neo-Nazi or European style Fascist?Huh

I don't take this lightly, considering that my Sister is Jewish and in my younger years a few decades back participated in various "Antifa" style demonstrations against the Nazi scum trying to take over our neighborhoods in the Pacific Northwest as well as the Industrial States of the Midwest, and a few years after getting out of College in the Midwest came back to my small Oregon Town and within a year a Native American Homeless man was murdered by two White Supremacists barely a year out of the State Pen....

Hey---- I would rather the Progressive Dem have won this race, but anyone accusing a Polish-American of being a Nazi sounds a bit off in my book...

I could be wrong but from what I gather, a literal holocaust denier won as the sole candidate in the GOP primary in the same district, and I assume that's who the Nazi references are to.

yeah and then a couple posters engaging in some absurd hyperbole claiming that a Nazi is somehow equivalent or preferable to a conservative Democrat

btw NOVA he was endorsed by IL AFL-CIO most of the blue collar unions, so you can like that about him.  My impression is he benefits in 2020 from higher primary turnout, unless there's a challenger that can break through and appeal to the urban hispanic/black/'ethnic' vote.

I never claimed it was equivalent. I said Dems should cast blank ballots for House to make the vote closer than expected in order to remind Lipinski that he needs their support too.

I mean I would cast a blank vote if it were between Newman and the Nazi guy so I can't really complain about doing that, though I'm not sure about your rationale here making much sense.  Seems like some others were saying something more extreme though.

A Nazi vs. someone who doesn't hate gay people. Hmmm, tough decision, I think I'd cast a blank vote too.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »

Where did you get the impression that anyone cares what you think?
One can say this about any person for any post on this forum, definitely including you. Your silencing tactics will not work.

I never claimed otherwise. It's just that those sorts of "moderate" concern trolls have a tendency to think that everybody pays attention to their opinions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies