IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 80552 times)
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 18, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »

Can someone explain to me why Dan Lipinski is so bad?
Very Conservative Democrat in Safe D Chicago Region seat.
>implying that makes him bad
 It is also worth noting, this district has always been very socially conservative. Dan Lipinski is by no means a conservative on economic issues (he endorsed Bernie sanders for President). He represents his constituents well and is a beacon of hope for a party that continually rejects the rights of the unborn.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »

The only reason Democrats tolerated Lipinski was because his district was full of Archie Bunker-like WWC voters who would bolt to the Republicans if a mainstream liberal replaced him on the ballot.
The fact that Trump performed even worse than Mitt effing Romney proves that this is no longer the case.
This is false. The district has a white majority but is incredibly diverse. It has a large, conservative polish population and socially conservative Hispanic population. A democrat would certainly win this district even if they are progressive, but that would not represent the district as well as Congressman Lipinski.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »

"A very conservative Democrat"? The American Conservative Union has given Dan Lipinski an average approval score of 19% for his votes in the House - years 2005 to 2016.

that's pretty friggin high for a Democrat in 2017.
Yeah, which is sad.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »

HRC should endorse anyone but Lipinski, as long as the Republican doesn’t support an anti-gay marriage amendment.
why?

Your signature is actually a great argument for opposing Lipinski.
I like how he is pro life, supports religious freedom, and is more moderate on this fiscal issues.  If D's want to be competitive in places like W. VA or IA again, they will need to run candidates like Lipinski.
You're making our point for us.

If we want to be competitive in Iowa, fine.

CHICAGO IS NOT IOWA.

And the 3rd Congressional is not what you think of as Chicago. I mean look at this map. Yes, the furthest NE corner of the map are in Chicago, but the vast majority of the district is in the blue-collar suburbs, with a population largely made up of religious descendents of Irish, Polish, Greek, Italian, Czech and Mexican immigrants. This district has even been called a home to the Reagan Democrats. Whether you like it or not, Lipinksi represents the values of his constituents. Outside forces trying to shoehorn in someone who doesn't represent her constituents but will toe the national party line is narrow-minded, and really appalling.

Preach.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 08:12:33 PM »

This is the single most obnoxious active thread on Atlas at the moment. If you're a pro-Lifer, fine, support "King Dan" or whatever. If you're pro-Choice like most normal Democrats, it is natural to want Lipinski, who sits in a safely blue seat, to go.

I do not care about his "constituent services" or whatever. He is not left-wing for a Democratic congressperson in a safe seat and for that reason alone he should go.
The logic that the national party is more important than the district is what made “safe democrat seats” in the south go Republican and northern “safe Republican seats” go Democrat. Local concerns and views should always come before the national party’s desire.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:14 PM »

Lipinski is one of Mike Madigan’s strongest allies. Didn’t know before, but that just makes me dislike him even more.
It probably makes him invincible though
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »

Stephen Lynch better be taking note of this primary.

He's not nearly as bad as Lipinski, but yeah, if Newman wins or even comes close, it could give Lynch's opponents momentum.

I wonder what the dynamic is in South Texas (too late for a primary this year, I know). Are Democrats there really that conservative?
Yes and for good reason. Hispanic Americans, especially Hispanic Texans, are generally social conservatives.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »

So glad that people like Lipinski are mostly dying off every single year.

Bigoted Dan lives to fight another day.
not really dying off.  on the poll Lipinski led with 18-45 yo.  One possibility is that the millennials have more minorities which on the poll leaned Lipinski.  I wonder why Newman did so well with whites but not minorities?
https://patch.com/illinois/oaklawn/lipinski-newman-statistical-dead-heat-democratic-primary
White liberals are far more socially liberal, especially in this district.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies