Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 11:41:19 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History
| | |-+  Alternative History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Gore nominated in 1988
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gore nominated in 1988  (Read 463 times)
darklordoftech
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:18:40 pm »
Ignore

What if Gore was the Democratic nominee for President in 1988?
keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: 4.50

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 10:20:19 pm »
Ignore

He would have lost but it would have been much closer more like a obama or trump win and less like Reaganís win.

if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.

PRESIDENT WASHINGTON 1796
darklordoftech
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:27:56 am »
Ignore

He would have lost but it would have been much closer more like a obama or trump win and less like Reaganís win.
How do the Democrats interpret his loss?
America's Sweetheart ❤
TexArkana
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 11:54:59 am »
Ignore

I hate to agree with Greedo, but basically this.

"For it is both a great honor, and my righteous duty, to eat that booty" - Abraham Lincoln

Rest in Peace John B. Anderson (1922-2017).
FF. Great sig.
mvd10
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:03:21 pm »
Ignore

What does an Obama or Trump win even mean? Their electoral college margins were somewhat similar but Trump lost the PV by 2 while Obama won the PV by 4 (I assume you mean his reelection victory).
GeorgiaModerate
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »
Ignore

How do the Democrats interpret his loss?

I think it depends on the margin.  If Gore was closer than Dukakis (which I agree is likely) then it may just be chalked up as a year that was going Republican in any case. 

But if Gore was blown out, it may have worked against the Democratic willingness to move to the center that got Clinton nominated and elected in '92.  So in that campaign probably Jerry Brown does better, and we'll handwave that as a result, he's more prudent and doesn't mention that he'd consider Jesse Jackson as a running mate, which was something that really broke his momentum.

Let's say that Brown wins the nomination.  Presumably Ross Perot still runs, so we have Bush vs Brown vs Perot, with an economy sliding into recession.  This could be fairly interesting.

The fundamental fight is not between left and right but between proudly-ignorant, reckless and incompetent indecency and those who oppose it.  -- Benjamin Wittes
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:02:19 pm »
Ignore

Gore could conceivably win. People forget, Dukakis led Bush by 17 points at one point in 1988 and Atwater won't be able to dig up dirt on and attack Gore the way he did Dukakis, plus Gore had a center right voting record at that point (environmental issues aside), so you can't smear him as liberal or smear liberalism itself to the extent that it was smeared with Dukakis.

Granted, you could argue 1988 was destined to be a Republican year regardless given the economy and the stability abroad, but low unemployment and stability didn't help Gore in 2000, so it alone might not be enough to carry Bush over the finish line. In either case, a HW Bush vs. Gore election in '88 would be a close one.

darklordoftech
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:27:39 pm »
Ignore

Gore could conceivably win. People forget, Dukakis led Bush by 17 points at one point in 1988 and Atwater won't be able to dig up dirt on and attack Gore the way he did Dukakis, plus Gore had a center right voting record at that point (environmental issues aside), so you can't smear him as liberal or smear liberalism itself to the extent that it was smeared with Dukakis.

Granted, you could argue 1988 was destined to be a Republican year regardless given the economy and the stability abroad, but low unemployment and stability didn't help Gore in 2000, so it alone might not be enough to carry Bush over the finish line. In either case, a HW Bush vs. Gore election in '88 would be a close one.
Crime would certainly be less of an issue if Gore was nominated while the environment may have been more of an issue. I wonder if Gore would have attacked Bush over his oil past and Reagan's environmental record.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 11:17:40 am »
Ignore

But if Gore was blown out, it may have worked against the Democratic willingness to move to the center that got Clinton nominated and elected in '92.  So in that campaign probably Jerry Brown does better, and we'll handwave that as a result, he's more prudent and doesn't mention that he'd consider Jesse Jackson as a running mate, which was something that really broke his momentum.

I know the conventional wisdom is that the Dem. primary electorate "learned their lesson" after nominating liberals like Mondale and Dukakis by moving to the center with Clinton, but I don't actually buy it.

I think Clinton won because 1) the big names like Cuomo, Bradley, Gephardt, and Gore sat it out, 2) he was a very highly skilled politician, and 3) he was the only Southern candidate running in a year where the primary calendar favored the South, and he didn't have to deal with Jesse Jackson in the race, siphoning off black votes.  Thus, he cleaned up among both Southern whites and blacks.

So I'm not sure Gore '88 being nominated and losing the GE prevents Clinton from being nominated in '92.  What it might have done though is prompt Clinton to run a somewhat different campaign, that would avoid too many parallels between himself and Gore.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout