Flake on hot mic: GOP is toast if we become party of Trump & Moore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:48:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Flake on hot mic: GOP is toast if we become party of Trump & Moore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Flake on hot mic: GOP is toast if we become party of Trump & Moore  (Read 3121 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

Well, he's right.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 01:13:46 PM »

I hope he does primary Trump in 2020. I'd vote for him in the primary.
Also, yes he's right.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »

I hate to agree with this useless goofball, but on this he's completely right.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

I hate to agree with this useless goofball, but on this he's completely right.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »

Too late.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »

Obviously. But it is the fault of the supposedly more levelheaded voices like Flake for not providing a credible alternative.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »

Obviously. But it is the fault of the supposedly more levelheaded voices like Flake for not providing a credible alternative.

This doesn't get said enough.

For as bad as Trump is, the GOP establishment (Rubio, Kaisch, Jeb! etc.) were peddling Bush era nonsense that has been discredited.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the base took a flyer on Trump given these were their options.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:48 PM »

Trump and Moore are not a package deal.  Flake's utterances are self-serving.

If Trump was THAT BAD, personally, why didn't he endorse Hillary and campaign for her?  Lieberman did that for McCain in 2008. 

That's why I think the Flakes of the world are full of crap.  They don't think Trump is any worse than Clinton on a personal level; they just want their open borders, free trade, and they don't want to "owe" religious types. 

When a candidate is THAT bad as the #NeverTrump crowd suggests, it's time to endorse the opposition.  That they didn't reflects on THEIR credibility.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »

He's right, as usual. Trump will lose in a landslide in 2020 (SUBURBAN CURBSTOMPING) and within 5 days the Republican voters will have forgotten him.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »

Trump and Moore are not a package deal. 

You're right. But that is part of the problem. Trump and Moore actually represent different factions of the party, and yet are both utterly reprehensible in similar (but not identical) ways. Having ONE strong crazy wingnut block is comprehensible. But when the party has room to strongly support such distinctly different deplorables, it starts to look like the problem is the whole damn party.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »

Says the guy who's too much of a wuss to actually fight for his beliefs in an election or do anything about them in the Senate.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »

If Trump was THAT BAD, personally, why didn't he endorse Hillary and campaign for her?  Lieberman did that for McCain in 2008. 

That's why I think the Flakes of the world are full of crap.  They don't think Trump is any worse than Clinton on a personal level; they just want their open borders, free trade, and they don't want to "owe" religious types. 

When a candidate is THAT bad as the #NeverTrump crowd suggests, it's time to endorse the opposition.  That they didn't reflects on THEIR credibility.

Lieberman endorsed McCain in 08 because he was a centrist and felt that McCain had the proper experience required to be commander-in-chief. That's very different than a conservative Republican like Flake coming out and endorsing Hillary, with whom he agrees on almost nothing. Flake wants to improve the Republican Party, not abandon it (as endorsing Hillary would have done).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »

Lieberman endorsed McCain in 08 because he was a centrist and felt that McCain had the proper experience required to be commander-in-chief. That's very different than a conservative Republican like Flake coming out and endorsing Hillary, with whom he agrees on almost nothing. Flake wants to improve the Republican Party, not abandon it (as endorsing Hillary would have done).

Hillary was compared to Margaret Thatcher. It's all a matter of perspective.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 05:20:15 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »

If Trump was THAT BAD, personally, why didn't he endorse Hillary and campaign for her? 
LOL.

Anyway I think most people in the GOP were lying to themselves all the way up until November 8th that Trump would finally change once he got elected, but electing him only rewarded his boorish and disrespectful behavior. Why change when he ran and won the presidency on his first try with no experience? It only confirmed his crazy.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »

People are afraid to do the right thing because people like you push them to compromise their integrity.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »

Well, if there's any decency left in the American electorate, he's right. 

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 09:34:10 PM »

This strikes me as one of those on purpose "hot mic" comments.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 09:37:35 PM »

He's certainly right, and he's becoming one of my favorite republicans.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »

If Trump was THAT BAD, personally, why didn't he endorse Hillary and campaign for her? 
LOL.

Anyway I think most people in the GOP were lying to themselves all the way up until November 8th that Trump would finally change once he got elected, but electing him only rewarded his boorish and disrespectful behavior. Why change when he ran and won the presidency on his first try with no experience? It only confirmed his crazy.

I think you're right on both the assumption that he'd change to be more effective and how winning only seemed to verify his delusional world-view.

It wasn't just the GOP who thought he'd change, that 'crazy Trump' was a marketing ploy for the election. I know I thought he'd be a much more effective advocate for (imho, awful) Republican policies, and even though I derided him during the campaign, I never dreamed he would be such an incompetent and stupid president.

And having his 'genius' confirmed is something he shares with Hitler. (Bear with me - this isn't  directly about Nazis, fascism, or all the horrors of Hitler's regime.) When Hitler took power, and started making aggressive foreign policy moves, his advisers and general observers thought he was stupidly insane. But he had a string of successes in defiance of conventional wisdom: the Anschluss, Alsace-Lorraine, Sudetenland. Hitler became convinced he was a supra-genius, and his conservative advisers fearful fools. He went all in, with Poland, then France and finally with Russia.

And it was on that last one that probability caught up to him. Hitler had never been a genius. He was just a guy who, in essence,  got lucky and had favorable circumstances. But I doubt he ever understood that, except maybe at the end right before killing himself.

Most of Trump's life, especially his time as a politician, has been the same. While we on the left can criticize Clinton for losing to Donald Trump of all people, the same is true from the other side. How much 'political genius' did it really take to win against a Democrat who's a poor campaigner with low charisma, embroiled in an FBI investigation, in 2016. One who's also the first woman major party nominee and has had mud (earned and not) flung at her for decades?

That Trump is mentally ill in ways that will only confirm his biases will just exacerbate the problem. Trump is going to keep thinking how awesome he is, until he makes an 'bigly' decision that explodes and sets off some sort of uncontrollable conflagration.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »

who care.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:51 PM »

Says the guy who's too much of a wuss to actually fight for his beliefs in an election or do anything about them in the Senate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies