Childhood President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:04:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Childhood President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Childhood President  (Read 855 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »

Who was the U.S. President during by your childhood and what was your opinion of them?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »

I was alive during Clinton's second term, but I can't remember much of it, so I'll go with Bush.  I basically thought he was a stupid, but affable hick, like my grandparents from West Virginia.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »

I was alive during Clinton's 2nd term but way too young to even know that he was President. So I will go with Bush , and my opinion of him was he was cool, and awesome.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »

I didn't get to a have a singular president that defined my childhood.  I was born when LBJ was in office, so my school-age years were included Nixon, Ford, Carter, and Reagan, of which Carter was the one with the most time while I was in school.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »

I was alive during the Bush era, but I don't remember much about it. I never really had an opinion about him.
The majority of my childhood was pretty much just Obama's first term. I always kind of liked him even before I formulated true political opinions. A lot of kids here repeated their parents' rhetoric on Obama but I never hated him. When I got older and actually started caring about politics, I thought (and still think) that he's awesome.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

Bush was the butt of jokes and derision, and respected by very few during his second term. Even adults didn't regard him well. 

However, in 2004 he was overwhelmingly favored in the election in my 6th grade class. We had a tally in choir and the only kids that supported Kerry were me, my worst enemy, and his best friend/sidekick. Everyone else in the class of ~20-25 supported Bush.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »

While I was alive through all of Clinton's tenure, it is Bush who came in during most of my school years, and like any other Bay Area kid, my opinion was not a high one (I do know that one kid wrote to Bill and actually got  an answer though, while nothing of the sort came from Bush).

In middle school, we had to write letters to the guy, and, one kid headed his letter "Dear Mr. Bushwhacker"

And before that, even in 2002 and '03, it was common to see shrubs with the "No" sign all over them.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:08:44 PM »

Bill Clinton.  I liked him, and I've always felt it easy to associate the US Presidency with him.  It's one of the many reasons why Hillary's loss was so hard.  Having the Clintons back in the White House would have been nice for nostalgic reasons.  
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »

Baby Bush, Obama, and 45.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:00:34 AM »

While I was alive through all of Clinton's tenure, it is Bush who came in during most of my school years, and like any other Bay Area kid, my opinion was not a high one (I do know that one kid wrote to Bill and actually got  an answer though, while nothing of the sort came from Bush).

In middle school, we had to write letters to the guy, and, one kid headed his letter "Dear Mr. Bushwhacker"

And before that, even in 2002 and '03, it was common to see shrubs with the "No" sign all over them.

In 2nd grade we wrote to Bush and we all got a reply .

I believe this was in January 2005 , and I wrote to Bush about how cool of  president he is , and my winter break and hoped his winter break went well too .
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »

GWB, negative.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 12:13:41 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 12:15:33 AM by Crumpets »

Clinton was president until I was 7, so I tend to think of him as my "childhood president," but I really didn't follow politics at all until after 9/11, so Bush was the president I associate most with my formative political years (and not in a good way). Suffice to say, my family loved Clinton, so I definitely liked him as President, even if the only thing i knew about him was that he was the president.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 01:04:49 AM »

Clinton/Bush
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:27 AM »

Primaries wise : 2008 was the first I remember and in my 5th grade class we did a mock election and Hillary won because all the girls in the class chose Hillary while the boys were divided between Obama and McCain.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:57 AM »

My opinion of Bush is well known in these parts.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »

Billy C. But only remember that I heard his name. I also remember the television about the 2000 election.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

Bush was the butt of jokes and derision, and respected by very few during his second term. Even adults didn't regard him well.  

However, in 2004 he was overwhelmingly favored in the election in my 6th grade class. We had a tally in choir and the only kids that supported Kerry were me, my worst enemy, and his best friend/sidekick. Everyone else in the class of ~20-25 supported Bush.

Honestly I don't think this is uncommon. I remember many people from my 3rd grade class-some of which I still know and are hardcore Democrats today-loved George Bush in 2004.

We were all too young to understand policy or anything like that, so I think all we saw as kids was an affable guy on TV.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »

Honestly I don't think this is uncommon. I remember many people from my 3rd grade class-some of which I still know and are hardcore Democrats today-loved George Bush in 2004.

We were all too young to understand policy or anything like that, so I think all we saw as kids was an affable guy on TV.

I had a brief conversation with my second grade teacher once and she told me I was a fan of Bush once. I remember that Bush looked affable and Gore looked like a pale ghost. So this makes sense.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »

I never really saw Bush as a nice guy. I guess because my parents were (and are) Democrats and talked about politics regularly in front of me.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »

I never really saw Bush as a nice guy. I guess because my parents were (and are) Democrats and talked about politics regularly in front of me.

Mom has this theory that most of the kids who supported Bush back in 6th grade simply absorbed the political opinions of their Generic R fathers. I absorbed her political opinions, which boiled down to "Bush is an idiot, anyone's better than him".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »

Jacques Chirac. Not a fan.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 04:27:44 PM »

I knew all of the Presidents in order when I was 6 years old.  That was in 1963.  I also learned that year that 3 of our Presidents were assassinated.  About 6 months after learning that, JFK was assassinated.  I remember not seeing this as a remarkable event, but as something that happens to Presidents over the course of time.  I knew Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, that the Republicans were the party against slavery, and that he was a great man.  I knew that JFK was a Democrat, and that "we" (my mother, father and grandmother) were Democrats.  Lincoln was my hero as a little kid, but "ending slavery" was the only thing I really understood Lincoln did.

LBJ was the first President I remembered in the sense that I understood what he was doing in office.  My parents were the kind of anti-Communist liberals that made up the Democratic Party.  I remembered that LBJ signed laws that would make the lives of black folks fairer, and that was a good thing.  (I grew up in Long Island, not in the South.)  But I also knew that LBJ was doing what he needed to do to keep us protected from the Communists in Vietnam that would take our freedom away if they could.

I really looked up to LBJ.  When I was 10 and 11, I came to know more of what was going on, and I didn't understand why hippies and such were demonstrating against our country, rooting for our troops to lose.  And I remember news clips where people in Congress were criticizing LBJ on the war. I didn't know who they were or what they were doing, but it looked as if they were cowards, too afraid to protect "us".  Gradually, I came to view LBJ as the only man in Washington who would be strong on our behalf.  When I heard on March, 31, 1968 that LBJ opted out of running again, I felt scared; the only President with stones was packing it in.  (Such was my thought process at age 10 and 11.)

Four (4) months after LBJ packed it in, my Uncle Tom (my late father's brother) came to visit.  There was a political discussion, and he explained that the Vietnam War was undeclared and we had no business being there.  I forget his reasoning, but my mother and grandmother were convinced, and I thought I'd been had.  We're getting all of these folks killed for nothing?  LBJ came off his pedestal and never went back on it for several years.  By this time, I was a pretty confirmed Democrat.  (Research shows that party identification often begins as early as 6 years old; my childhood friends pretty much knew thy were Republicans in my Republican home town.)  There was redemption, in my mind, for LBJ.  He grew his hair long (as I did) in retirement, and I thought this super cool, given how much grief he got from hippies.  As LBJ died less than 4 years after leaving office, all of my impressions of him occurred before I was an adult. 

More importantly, LBJ was the force in the Establishment that rammed through the Civil Rights bills of the 1960s.  This was redemptive in my eyes.  I'm old enough to have seen, live on TV, black folks demonstrating for the right to vote on TV, and, to quote Mike Royko, "the worst elements of Southern Beer-Belly Manhood (being) allowed to provide the response".  I knew LBJ was from Texas, and that Texas was a slave state, so this was even more redemptive; he did what was right at the expense of the approval of his own people.  That took guts, and I knew that, even as a kid.

I will share this memory as well:  I grew up in a liberal Democratic household, where my parents voted for LBJ in 1964 for President and Nelson Rockefeller in 1966 for Governor of NY.  My best friend's dad was a founding father of New York's Conservative Party; they supported Goldwater in 1964 and Paul Adams, the Conservative Party's nominee for Governor in 1966.  (Nelson Rockefeller was the whole reason the Conservative Party was formed; to bring the GOP in line with conservatism in NY State.)  Yet I NEVER saw folks vilify those who voted for the opposition the way I have seen in the new millenium.  I NEVER saw ordinary Republicans react to LBJ the way Republicans of this era reacted to Obama, and I NEVER say ordinary Democrats react to Nixon the way Democrats today react to Trump, or even to Bush 43.  People were more mature back then; they didn't root for the country to lose in order that their party can win.  Sadly, I can't say that of today's electorate. 
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:29 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2017, 07:44:56 AM by Lechasseur »

I was born during Clinton's first term but I barely remember him as president, so I'll go with Bush. My parents are liberal (basically the only liberals in their families) so they hated Bush, I grew up hating him too but my opinion of him has vastly improved since I became a Republican at 16
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »

I remember being 3 and knowing what Clinton looked like and that he was the president, but I didn’t know his name or anything about him. I was pretty uninterested politics until I was 13 and my parents hated Bush.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »

Dubya.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: