Secession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:00:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Secession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Read below
Question 1: Yes

Question 1: No

Question 2: Yes

Question 2: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Secession  (Read 2892 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: November 20, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »
« edited: November 20, 2017, 09:15:42 AM by Senator Scott🍂 »

Yes/not sure.  I do believe that the United States is ripe for a split/secession movement along some lines so that, ideally, conservative and liberal Americans can "co-exist" without having the other side's policies forcibly imposed upon them after every election.

Not being a world superpower (or being a far weaker superpower) would be a bonus, in my opinion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »

I do believe that the United States is ripe for a split/secession movement along some lines so that, ideally, conservative and liberal Americans can "co-exist" without having the other side's policies forcibly imposed upon them after every election.
Of course, liberals in conservative secessionist states and conservatives in liberal secessionist states would still have "the other side's policies forcibly imposed upon them" — just by a government closer to home. Personally, I'm not particularly eager to see how the LGBTQ+ community would fare in the independent Republic of Alabama.

For that we have planes, trains, and automobiles.  We will never have utopia no matter what the government does or how the borders are drawn, but how can you maintain a stable republic where the likes of Bernie Sanders and Roy Moore share the power?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »

I do believe that the United States is ripe for a split/secession movement along some lines so that, ideally, conservative and liberal Americans can "co-exist" without having the other side's policies forcibly imposed upon them after every election.
Of course, liberals in conservative secessionist states and conservatives in liberal secessionist states would still have "the other side's policies forcibly imposed upon them" — just by a government closer to home. Personally, I'm not particularly eager to see how the LGBTQ+ community would fare in the independent Republic of Alabama.

For that we have planes, trains, and automobiles.  We will never have utopia no matter what the government does or how the borders are drawn, but how can you maintain a stable republic where the likes of Bernie Sanders and Roy Moore share the power?

The key is to decimate or absorb the subcultures, not surrender to them.

Counterculture > Subculture
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

Why are we assuming that everyone can (or should) relocate to a state-turned-nation where their politics are in the majority? Even assuming an EU-style Schengen area is established in the former United States (and given the politics of immigration in places like Alabama and Texas, I'd say it's highly unlikely they would ever agree to such a system), that's just not a realistic proposition for most people. What, then, happens to the Obamacare patients in Alabama who suddenly lose their insurance when their state leaves the Union? What happens to the LGBT couple whose marriage is no longer legally recognized? This isn't "utopia" we're talking about, but we're all Americans and we have an obligation to look out for the rights and well being of our fellow citizens. It seems rather callous to abandon these people to the mercy of their states simply to avoid the difficulties of representative democracy in a pluralistic society.

As far as marriage rights and healthcare are concerned, presumably the liberal-leaning states would quickly adopt same-sex marriage and have an easier time transitioning to a better single or multi-payer healthcare system without resistance from the X number of states that only elect people who oppose those things, as well as environmental protection, abortion rights, voting rights, a living wage, etc.  Representative democracy only works if the citizenry shares some core values.  Polarization doesn't work in anybody's favor, especially in the United States which is arguably more politically polarized than it's been since the 1860s.  When you try to force national unity on an unwilling populace, tribalism becomes inevitable.  We are left with a no-win situation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies