Would you give up a safe senate seat for a cabinet position?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:17:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you give up a safe senate seat for a cabinet position?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would you give up a safe senate seat for a cabinet position?  (Read 318 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »

I noted that many cabinet members of several administrations, Democratic and Republican alike, are senators who resigned their seat. After assuming the posistion, they often don't last for the full eight or even four years of the president's tenure. When thinking about a "long time job guarantee in politics" that's actually a bad deal. At least in my opinion. I wouldn't give up a safe or modestly safe seat in the senate in exchange for a few years as cabinet secretary (aside from the fact that I wouldn't like to be a cabinet member). Same with ambassadorships aside from the U.N. I wouldn't also give up a governorship in return, though that depends on how much time you have left until termlimits throw you out of office anyway.

It's a little more plausible with resigning a seat in the House, but not the senate. Ken Salazar for example gave up his senate seat for being Secretary of the Interior, which is literally a B-department. He could still be around today, instead he left the Obama administration in

Any thoughts?
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »

It depends on how high up the cabinet position is, and also whether I think I'm really qualified to hold that position.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »

I suppose it would depend on a handful of factors:

1. How productive is Congress since I joined? If it's like the Obama years, then I'd probably want to leave.

2. How old am I? If I am advanced in age, I might want to consider topping off my career with a cabinet post where I can leave a bigger mark.

3. How long do I think the president offering the job will serve, and how long might I be able to hold the post?

4. What kind of president is this? If it's some blowhard, scandal-ridden a-hole like Donald, then no, absolutely not.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

I'm not going to give up, say, the Chairmanships of the Committee on Foreign Relations to be H.H.S. Secretary. Conversely, if I had been in the Congress for some thirty years and was offered a chance to become Secretary of State, that seems like an easy offer.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

Almost definitely no. I wouldn't give up my Senate seat even if my seat was competitive. They'd have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. Tongue I just like the legislature more than the executive and even if it seems like they don't accomplish anything, there's still things you can do. The only position that might entice me is Interior, but I don't like the idea of letting my governor force some random on my constituents that they didn't elect.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »

No. I'd only accept a cabinet position if I was out of a job. A House or Senate seat you can hold for years, while cabinet members are lucky if they last more than four.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »

No. I'd only accept a cabinet position if I was out of a job. A House or Senate seat you can hold for years, while cabinet members are lucky if they last more than four.

Bingo. If it is truly a safe senate seat then short of you're getting caught in a self-created scandal oh, you have a job for life. A cabinet position you may be able to hold on possibly for a full 8 years, probably less. Good position if your outgoing and plan on retiring within that time anyway.

After all, cabinet secretaries don't have to deal with fundraising one third of the time
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:25:34 PM »

Sure, if it's something like State, Defense, Homeland Security, Justice or Treasury, or a lower tier department I'm qualified in (not that I can think of one).

The UN Ambassadorship is also an exception to that rule, as is the position of FBI Director (as they serve for ten years), and of course a Supreme Court nomination (as they serve for life).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »

Only for State, and only if I agreed with the President's foreign policy and his name isn't Trump.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:58:22 PM »

For Secretary of State or Secretary of Homeland Security. Attorney General seems interesting but my background isn't in law and I don't think I'd like the other ones.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 02:09:15 PM »

Only for State, and only if I agreed with the President's foreign policy and his name isn't Trump.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

I suppose it would depend on a handful of factors:

1. How productive is Congress since I joined? If it's like the Obama years, then I'd probably want to leave.

2. How old am I? If I am advanced in age, I might want to consider topping off my career with a cabinet post where I can leave a bigger mark.

3. How long do I think the president offering the job will serve, and how long might I be able to hold the post?

4. What kind of president is this? If it's some blowhard, scandal-ridden a-hole like Donald, then no, absolutely not.

Bingo
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 08:11:52 PM »

For Secretary of State or Secretary of Homeland Security. Attorney General seems interesting but my background isn't in law and I don't think I'd like the other ones.
Tom Vilsack once threatened to resign as Secretary of Agriculture since he hardly had anything to do.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 12:20:24 AM »

State, Treasury, Defense, Attorney General, or FBI Director are the only ones I’d probably do it for. Maybe a powerful Chief of Staff or U. N. Ambassador.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies