Opinion of the United Methodist Church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
Freedom Church

Horrible Church

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Opinion of the United Methodist Church  (Read 1487 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »

Freedom Church.  Seems pretty moderate on balance, even though they tend to be somewhat more conservative than me theologically.  I wouldn't mind being a member if they lifted their ban on gay clergy and weddings.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:49:34 PM »

Freedom Church.  Seems pretty moderate on balance, even though they tend to be somewhat more conservative than me theologically.  I wouldn't mind being a member if they lifted their ban on gay clergy and weddings.

That won't ever happen in my lifetime and probably not yours.  The UMC is in some regards a victim of its own success in evangelizing outside the United States. The Methodists in the US are but a fraction of the total membership of the UMC. That's why I foresee the UMC continuing to shrink in this country. The way it is organized makes it nigh on impossible for local churches to go beyond where they have gone on LGBT issues and I see no real future in this country for an otherwise liberal church that doesn't fully embrace the LGBT community.

It's a lot easier for individual members to change church than for a church as a whole to abandon its building and start anew elsewhere, which until the overseas portion of the church liberalizes on that issue is all that UMC members can do to go farther.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »

Freedom Church.  Seems pretty moderate on balance, even though they tend to be somewhat more conservative than me theologically. I wouldn't mind being a member if they lifted their ban on gay clergy and weddings.

That won't ever happen in my lifetime and probably not yours.  The UMC is in some regards a victim of its own success in evangelizing outside the United States. The Methodists in the US are but a fraction of the total membership of the UMC. That's why I foresee the UMC continuing to shrink in this country. The way it is organized makes it nigh on impossible for local churches to go beyond where they have gone on LGBT issues and I see no real future in this country for an otherwise liberal church that doesn't fully embrace the LGBT community.

It's a lot easier for individual members to change church than for a church as a whole to abandon its building and start anew elsewhere, which until the overseas portion of the church liberalizes on that issue is all that UMC members can do to go farther.

I believe most progressive American Methodists are expecting a schism.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »

It'll be painful if it happens. the progressive schismatics will have to buy new church buildings as the UMC is decidedly not a congregational church.  It'll be easier for progressive members to shift affiliation to other established liberal churches, and I don't see a way for a mass coordinated exodus to establish a new denomination.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »

Seems alright.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »

One is letting us use their building to host a swing dance, so Freedom Church.

In all seriousness, I don't really think any Church is completely horrible, and I try to be able to be a brother to Christians of all denominations.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:39:25 AM »

It'll be painful if it happens. the progressive schismatics will have to buy new church buildings as the UMC is decidedly not a congregational church.  It'll be easier for progressive members to shift affiliation to other established liberal churches, and I don't see a way for a mass coordinated exodus to establish a new denomination.

1) That explains a lot. If they were Presbyterians or Baptists, they would have schismed a while ago.

2) What's the progressive/conservative proportions in the United States? If progressives are the majority in the United States, could the US branch of the UMC walk out as one group?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

2) What's the progressive/conservative proportions in the United States? If progressives are the majority in the United States, could the US branch of the UMC walk out as one group?
Not easily.  The way it's organized, there is no US branch per se.  They have five regional conferences in the US and then several conferences covering various parts of the rest of the world.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »

I feel neutral on it, I think it's okay as fart as Methodist churches go.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »

HC, heretics ofc
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:32 AM »

Not easily.  The way it's organized, there is no US branch per se.  They have five regional conferences in the US and then several conferences covering various parts of the rest of the world.

That makes it even easier then, no? Presumably the progressives are concentrated in a couple regions. Why couldn't they walk out as a group?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »

That makes it even easier then, no? Presumably the progressives are concentrated in a couple regions. Why couldn't they walk out as a group?

Because their church properties would still be owned by the UMC they are leaving.  As I've pointed out before, the UMC is not a congregationally organized church.  For the most part, the churches are owned by the UMC, not the individual congregations nor by the regions.   It's a lot easier for individual members to leave the UMC than for whole congregations or groups of congregations.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »

Because their church properties would still be owned by the UMC they are leaving.  As I've pointed out before, the UMC is not a congregationally organized church.  For the most part, the churches are owned by the UMC, not the individual congregations nor by the regions.   It's a lot easier for individual members to leave the UMC than for whole congregations or groups of congregations.

There's the issue. I was wondering if regional bodies (e.g. Diocese of XXX) owned the buildings or the national/global body. Apparently its the latter.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »

My opinion of them has improved now that I know they left the ''Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice''. Still, Independent Baptist churches remain the best.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »

Technically, they're apostates, but most of those people tend to be decently morally centered.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »

FC, in spite of many things.

(Full disclosure: I was raised in the UMC.)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

Technically, they're apostates, but most of those people tend to be decently morally centered.

How are they apostates?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 05:50:27 AM »

How are they apostates?

He's Mormon I think? I think most of us are apostate by that standard.
swf541

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

How are they apostates?

He's Mormon I think? I think most of us are apostate by that standard.

Which is ironic since they seriously are apostates....
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »

Mom converted from orthodoxy to it. Not either, but I still have large respect for both, solid institutions.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 04:24:48 PM »

Larry Goodpaster is the most prominent Methodist Progressive I know of.

For the record, Wesleyanism is broadly popular throughout progressive and conservative circles. The church won’t schism over social issues, as it has broad agreement on theology.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »

It has broad agreement on the social gospel, but how to apply that in specific situations, especially LGBT issues and to a far lesser extent, the role of women in the church, is where a potential schism could occur.  But as I said, given the structure of the UMC, I don't expect a schism, just a slow migration of members for whom a liberal view of those issues is important to other churches where LGBT marriage and ordination are acceptable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies