No Scrubs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:23:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Scrubs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: No Scrubs  (Read 3614 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
« edited: November 19, 2017, 05:06:08 PM by Progressive »

CLINTON RESIGNS, ADMITS SEXUAL ABUSE

August 1998

"I admit that I had sexual relations with that woman. I took advantage of a young woman, and while my legal counsel has convinced me that what I did was not illegal, it was morally wrong. After much consultation with my loving and too-forgiving wife, Hillary, I have decided to step down as president. My moral transgressions should not define America's future, and I pray to our Lord and our people that this country will always be fond of a place called hope. God bless you, God bless the United States of America."

Al Gore is sworn in as America's 43rd president, with Ann Richards, former governor of Texas, nominated by Gore and voted in by Congress as vice president.

NEXT: Sexual abuse allegations rock other parts of the White House and politics.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »

Al Gore is sworn in as America's 43rd president, with Strom Thurmond, the Senate Pro Tempore, a Republican as vice president.

I'm so ready for this TL lol but doesn't the 25th Amendment mean a President (now, in this case, Al Gore) can nominate someone to become Vice President if that office is vacant (b/c of his succession to the presidency), w/ the approval of Congress (i.e. meaning that, rather than Strom ascending to the Vice Presidency, the office is temporarily vacant 'til Gore nominates someone & Congress confirms them, as is what happened w/ Ford re: Nixon & Rockefeller re: Ford)?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »

Al Gore is sworn in as America's 43rd president, with Strom Thurmond, the Senate Pro Tempore, a Republican as vice president.

I'm so ready for this TL lol but doesn't the 25th Amendment mean a President (now, in this case, Al Gore) can nominate someone to become Vice President if that office is vacant (b/c of his succession to the presidency), w/ the approval of Congress (i.e. meaning that, rather than Strom ascending to the Vice Presidency, the office is temporarily vacant 'til Gore nominates someone & Congress confirms them, as is what happened w/ Ford re: Nixon & Rockefeller re: Ford)?

Fixed Smiley
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »

Fall 1998

Sexual Assault Commission

President Gore announced that Vice President Ann Richards would create a sexual assault investigation commission to investigate sexual assault in the federal government and recommend prosecution to a special prosecutor in the Department of Justice.

Vice President Richards toured the country talking about sexual assault and abuse, and secured commitments from business leaders to create better practices for reporting and investigation sexual assault in the private sector.

Election 1998

America appeared frozen. Control of the House and Senate remained Republican, with virtually no change in the Senate and a few Democratic gains in the House, largely stemming from support of President Gore's commitment to rooting out government corruption and sexual assault.

GINGRICH ACCUSED OF SEXUAL ASSAULT, HARASSMENT: TO RESIGN

Nearly a dozen former male and female aides came forward alleging that Gingrich was "wildly sexual," "perverse," and "sickeningly abusive" in his Speaker office. Although Gingrich was already planning on resigning due to GOP discontent in the House, the Speaker's resignation put a dark stamp on the GOP which was trying to derail the Gore-Richards agenda. Making matters worse, the 2000 presidential election would likely be framed in the light of sexual assault allegations.

NEXT: GOP LEADERSHIP RACE; PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION PRIMER
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

DRAIN THE SWAMP!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »

GORE SIGNALING TO AIDES HE WILL NOT RUN IN 2000; STEAMING MAD AT VP RICHARDS

End of 1998/Beginning of 1999

President Al Gore has signaled to his top aides including close political confidant Donna Brazile that he will not seek the Democratic nomination for a full-term presidency in 2000, leaving the door open to a bevy of potential scenarios going forward. According to aides close to Gore and senior White House officials, Gore feels 'sidelined' and 'deflated' with an agenda largely focused on sexual assault and the mechanics of government corruption. Gore has reportedly asked Congressional leaders to take on renewable energy initiatives but has been met with little support from leaders who feel paralyzed in the Capitol.

Meanwhile, President Gore is furious with his vice president, Ann Richards. In a TV interview, Vice President Richards suggested that if government were "full of women and gay men," sexual assault would not have to consume so much air time and work time on Capitol Hill and in the White House. Richards went on to suggest that "the next president" must embrace an "ambitious economic agenda" to elevate women in American society, making it less feasible for men to discriminate and abuse women."

The next morning, early, President Gore called the Vice President.

GORE: "Ann, bottom line is you're not a team player and now you're derailing our agenda, and..."

RICHARDS: "Mr. President, our agenda is a good government. By going out there in public I'm showing that the Gore White House cares about this issue."

GORE: "This can't be about personal ego..."

RICHARDS: "Let me cut you off right there, because it's..."

GORE: "Do not cut me off. I am the president. You are not the top dog here and you need to stand down and your aides are going to be told the same thing. Ann, back off. Get it?"

RICHARDS: "Listen to me carefully because I'll say it one time. I agreed to this appointment as a favor to you and the party. Your running mate was a disgrace and almost sank our entire party. Now you want to bask in his stench?"

GORE HANGS UP.

Next: Gore makes an official announcement, the 2000 race gets underway
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

Any thoughts?

Not sure if I should stick with it or go to my 2012: Romney timeline
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

stick with it.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 03:01:11 AM »

Yeah, it's great! I'm curious to see how it goes.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2017, 08:51:47 PM by Progressive »

GORE WON'T RUN; BUSH AND CLINTON ACCUSED OF ADDITIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULTS; CANDIDATES PILE ON

As a cold winter rolls into Washington in 1999, numerous women have come forward alleging sexual assault perpetrated by former presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush. Although President Gore has not been accused of sexual assault, these allegations against Clinton continue to dog the Democrats and derail the Gore agenda, which has essentially become a vessel for strengthening sexual assault investigations and enforcement in the federal government. First Lady Tipper Gore has joined Vice President Ann Richards touring the country discussing best practices in the private sector for preventing and reporting sexual violence and harassment. Meanwhile, Republicans are in no better shape with the former president and numerous members of Congress on the receiving end of sexual harassment and assault allegations.

SHOCK: According to sources within the White House, President Gore is attempting to remove financial resources from the Office of the First Lady due to Tipper Gore's decision to join Ann Richards on tour. A top aide to the First Lady leaked to TIME Magazine in February 1999 that the First Lady and President have "not talked all that much" since Gore was inaugurated president.

President Gore finally unveiled the worst kept secret in Washington: he was not going to run for president in the year 2000. Political aides and close friends have reported that Gore is perpetually unhappy, deflated, and uninspired since taking office as president. Reportedly, Gore continues to resent the mess that his predecessor Bill Clinton left him, and is disappointed that his press team has been unable to snatch the narrative away from sexual assaults in Washington.

The 2000 campaign is in full swing. Numerous candidates have announced their intention to run for their party's nominations next year. The Iowa Caucuses were just a year away on January 24, 2000. Here is a list of candidates who will be competing. President Gore has signaled to his Vice President that neither he nor his political organization will support her in the primary and they will instead look for a "uniter, not a divider" to be the Democratic standard bearer. Meanwhile, the George H.W. Bush fallout has taken a toll on the Bush family political legacy.

The Democrats: Vice President Ann Richards (D-TX), former U.S. Sen. Bill Bradley (D-NJ), U.S. Sen. John Kerry (D-MA), U.S. Sen. John Edwards (D-NC), House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt (D-MO), Gen. Wes Clark (D-AR), and Sen. Bob Kerrey (D-NE).

Early polls suggest indicate that Richards and Gephardt lead the Democratic field but polling is still volatile.

The Republicans: Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), former Labor Secretary Elizabeth Dole (R-NC), Rep. John Kasich (R-OH), former Vice President Dan Quayle (R-AZ), Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI), former U.S. Rep. Jack Kemp (R-NY).

Neither Gov. George W. Bush (R-TX) nor Gov. Jeb Bush (R-FL) entered the 2000 race, despite much speculation, after their father admitted to "regrettably sexually assaulting several women."

Early polls indicate that Dole and Quayle lead the GOP pack but polling is still volatile.

NEXT: 2000 Iowa Caucuses!
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

Kemp 2000!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »

LADIES NIGHT!

IOWA VOTES: THE 2000 CAUCUSES

The Democrats

Ann Richards    31.2%      [X]
Dick Gephardt    18.8%
Wes Clark           18.0%
John Kerry          10.5%
John Edwards       9.7%
Bill Bradley          6.4%
Bob Kerrey          3.9%

REST - %

The Republicans

Elizabeth Dole      25.4%  [X]
Dan Quayle            25.0%
John McCain          19.6%
Jack Kemp            14.0%
Orrin Hatch            7.1%
John Kasich            4.5%
Tommy Thompson  1.6%

REST - %

The 2000 Democratic and Republican Iowa Caucuses have dramatically rewritten the course of American political history forever. Two women, icons in the party within their own right, have won the causes, political establishment be damned. Top Gore aides had largely supported Dick Gephardt and John Kerry behind the scenes, whereas top Republicans had reluctantly rallied behind Dan Quayle with some outsiders opting for John McCain.

Nonetheless, Richards and Dole have accomplished an incredible feat but have a long way to go. New Hampshire was known for throwing a twist in presidential races.

In another surprise, President Al Gore announced that his wife, Tipper Gore, was separating with him and would be relinquishing her official role as First Lady to...join the Ann Richards campaign trail.

Stay tuned! Next post will be the New Hampshire primary and you do NOT want to miss the wild ride.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »

Incredible. I hope this TL ends with a total destruction of the patriarchy, that would be wild
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »

#AllinwithAnn
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »

I could get behind Dole.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

NEW HAMPSHIRE VOTES: FIRST IN THE NATION 2000 PRIMARY

The Democrats

John McCain            38.5%   [X]
Elizabeth Dole         27.4%
Dan Quayle            27.1%
Jack Kemp               5.0%

REST - 2% dropped out after Iowa.

What a night! Granite State voters looked at Iowa Caucus results and laughed--thrusting the primaries into full throttle competition mode.

For the Democrats, frontrunner Ann Richards was upset by Gen. Wes Clark who surged to a first place finish with the support of independent men who broke for Clark with 50% of the vote, to Kerry and Richards' 16% each. Sen. John Kerry and former Rep. Dick Gephardt have dropped out of the primary, leaving the race between Vice President Richards and Gen. Clark.

The next primaries will be Delaware and Washington state.

For the Republicans, Sen. John McCain similarly surged to first place with the help of independent men. Vice President Dan Quayle fell to an embarrassing third place, just behind former Sec. Elizabeth Dole, the Iowa Cacuses winner. Jack Kemp has dropped out. The rest of the GOP primary will consist of Sec. Dole, Vice President Quayle, and Sen. McCain.

The next primaries will be Delaware and South Carolina.

STAY TUNED FOR PRIMARY ANALYSIS
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

Angry New Hampshire men?!
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 09:32:51 PM »

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »

NEW YORK TIMES MAUREEN DOWD: DO RICHARDS AND DOLE HAVE A GUY PROBLEM?

On the verge of primaries in Delaware, purported frontrunners Ann Richards and Elizabeth Dole were met with embarrassing defeats in New Hampshire. Pundits and political know-it-alls are still parsing through the meaning behind their defeat, but one thing is clear. Richards and Dole can't cut it on lady comrades alone. Independent men and male stalwarts in both parties rejected the frontrunners in the Granite State, posing a curious question: do they both have a guy problem? Before I get criticized for being a woman-hating woman, hear this theory out. With the unprecedented dismantlement of rape culture in government, Hollywood, business and other worlds, Richards and Dole's candidacies scored a lifeline in what would have probably been "next in line" primaries, going to Gore for the Democrats and one of the Bush kids for the GOP. But with women emboldened, it's possible that men have been turned off from a focus on sexual assault in presidential politics. Now, pundits and know-it-alls are asking, will men unite to defeat the leading ladies? Only time will tell.

REACTION: Women in both Democratic and Republican circles are protesting Dowd, calling her a misogynist and hack.

NEXT: Delaware primaries.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 10:32:14 PM »

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

NEW HAMPSHIRE VOTES: FIRST IN THE NATION 2000 PRIMARY

The Democrats

John McCain            38.5%   [X]
Elizabeth Dole         27.4%
Dan Quayle            27.1%
Jack Kemp               5.0%

REST - 2% dropped out after Iowa.

What a night! Granite State voters looked at Iowa Caucus results and laughed--thrusting the primaries into full throttle competition mode.

For the Democrats, frontrunner Ann Richards was upset by Gen. Wes Clark who surged to a first place finish with the support of independent men who broke for Clark with 50% of the vote, to Kerry and Richards' 16% each. Sen. John Kerry and former Rep. Dick Gephardt have dropped out of the primary, leaving the race between Vice President Richards and Gen. Clark.

The next primaries will be Delaware and Washington state.

For the Republicans, Sen. John McCain similarly surged to first place with the help of independent men. Vice President Dan Quayle fell to an embarrassing third place, just behind former Sec. Elizabeth Dole, the Iowa Cacuses winner. Jack Kemp has dropped out. The rest of the GOP primary will consist of Sec. Dole, Vice President Quayle, and Sen. McCain.

The next primaries will be Delaware and South Carolina.

STAY TUNED FOR PRIMARY ANALYSIS

B-b-b-but what about the Angry NH Women???
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

FEBRUARY 2000 AND MARCH 7 2000 SUPER TUESDAY:
 A HARSH WINTER INDEED

The Democrats

ANN RICHARDS VICTORIES
Delaware
Washington
California
Connecticut
Georgia
Maryland
Massachusetts
New York
Ohio
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington (caucus)

WES CLARK VICTORIES
Hawaii
Idaho
Maine
Missouri

The Republicans

ELIZABETH DOLE VICTORIES
South Carolina
Michigan
Washington
California
Connecticut
Georgia
Maryland
Massachusetts
Missouri
New York
Ohio
Washington (caucus)

JOHN MCCAIN VICTORIES
Delaware
Arizona
Puerto Rico
Virginia
Maine
Rhode Island
Vermont

DAN QUAYLE VICTORIES
North Dakota
Minnesota

THE SCOOP

What a rough primary race it has been on both sides so far.

On the Democratic side, Ann Richards has begun to coalesce grassroots and base support, but Wes Clark is not giving up, hoping for an upset in the South Carolina primary on March 9, 2000 with the support of veteran families. Buoyed by the strong support of Democratic and independent women across all racial and socioeconomic groups, Ann Richards pulled off significant victories and is nearing in on the nomination. Sources close to Wes Clark tell us that he will drop out if he does not win or "come close" to victory in South Carolina. Meanwhile, Ann Richards has begun to reach out to potential vice presidential candidates.

The Republican side has gotten complicated. John McCain is now handily winning independents in various states, and Vice President Quayle has dropped out after an embarrassing showing. Elizabeth Dole is winning women and conservative voters, but Republican primary-goers admit lukewarm support in exit polls. Numerous surveys suggest a strong enthusiasm gap between Dole and Richards supporters. Sources tell us that John McCain will analyze the Western Caucuses of March 10, 2000 (Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado) in which 91 delegates are at stake. Dole remains ahead in the delegate count, but McCain is not strategically eliminated. Numerous news outlets have reported that Dole has offered McCain the VP slot if he dropped out, but Bob Dole, former senator and presidential contender quipped "we don't need him!"

NEXT: Crucial Democratic South Carolina primary on March 9, 2000 and Western Contests (March 10, 2000) in Wyoming(GOP only), Colorado, and Utah.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:44 AM »

BTW, I will take suggestions for potential VP contenders for the Dem and GOP frontrunners here.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »

BTW, I will take suggestions for potential VP contenders for the Dem and GOP frontrunners here.

Howard Dean for Richards. It would be a strong, balanced and liberal ticket. Other strong options would be John Kerry- military experience and establishment support- and Bob Graham, who's from a... very important swing-state. If Richards wants to be bold she could go with Jeanne Shaheen, but it's risky.
As for Dole, McCain is actually a very solid choice imho, though the rivalry could be problematic. Connie Mack III could be a good way to shore up Florida, and George Pataki or Chuck Hagel could be options if she wants to appeal to moderates.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »

Ann Richards/Bob Graham 2000!!! Or, if we're really going through with this, Ann Richards/Jeanne Shaheen or Richards/Feinstein. Elizabeth Dole/Tom Ridge for the Republicans
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies