State of the Senate right now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:01:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State of the Senate right now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: State of the Senate right now  (Read 25968 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2004, 09:52:15 PM »

Amen, Bullmoose!

You think we'd want more judges like Kennedy or Souter?

You're absolutely right.

In case you haven't figured it out, there's a reason why we're called moderates, its because we're not far right wing conservatives. I'll take a Kennedy over a Scalia anyday, and I'll take Souter over Ginsberg anytime.

The Republican Party is not a single thinking being (ala the Borg), if you wish to turn it into such, then go ahead...I'm sure there are plenty other parties who wouldn't mind the millions of moderate republicans joining them.
A-Max
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2004, 09:07:23 PM »

J.D. Ford.  What do you make of the GOP's cahnce in California given that the Gubernator is expected to campaign vigorously for our guy.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2004, 08:11:07 AM »

Marin definately would have been a better choice -- was she not able to raise enough money to beat Jone's name recognition or did she not hit TV - what happened?

You don't have an avatar, so I'll have to assume you are not from California.  I'll give some background in my answer then, just in case you aren't familiar with the state.

We have absolutely zero chance of winning this Senate seat.  Our candidate stinks.  He is Bill Jones, a former CA Sec'y of State, and a perfectly nice guy.  But to beat an incumbent Senator in a liberal state takes a GREAT candidate.  Jones is not that.

He ran a truly lackluster campaign for Governor in 2002, and got drilled in the primaries.  He said nothing of value in the senate primary and managed to win on name recognition.  I didn't vote for him in the primaries, I voted for Rosario Marin, a female hispanic that I thought had a better chance.

Bill Jones will get blown out even though Barbara Boxer is an awful Senator.  We get back only $0.77 on every federal tax dollar we pay.  This is the nation's largest state!  We should be able to get some decent federal aid.  We have crumbling roads.  We have the worst schools in the nation (aside from DC).  We get low Medicare reimbursement, given our standard of living.  CA taxpayers pay the bill for all the illegals that are on Medicaid and Medical even though the Federal government is supposed to pay those benefits.  It is probably the nation's largest unfunded mandate.

These are things that could beat Boxer if we had a decent candidate.  If a Republican said, "Boxer is the Democratic party's representative to California, I will be California's representative to the US Senate."  We might win, but not with Bill Jones.  He just isn't anything special.

Arnold is a great governor and great salesman, but this is going to be like trying to sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.  I even think Bush can win here, but I am very pessimistic about the Senate.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2004, 10:39:07 AM »

I don't know why all of you are so up in arms about Specter. He voted with Bush 89% of the time, and Toomey voted about 93% of the time as a US Rep.

And Rococo, even though it's impossible to truly tell, I highly doubt that there are more ultra right-wing Republicans then there are moderate Republicans. Same goes for the opposite end in regards to Democrats.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2004, 11:13:27 AM »

of,

100% correct.  Keep in mind though that there are plenty of Toomey supporters (as I've found on other boards) that think President Bush is a RINO and a liberal.

For me, it's not about ideology.  I actually agree more with Toomey than with Specter.  But I want Specter to win because we need him to maintain the beautiful ideological diversity that exists in the big tent of the Republican Party.  If Roy Moron wants to be a Republican, Arlen Specter should get to be one too.

I don't know why all of you are so up in arms about Specter. He voted with Bush 89% of the time, and Toomey voted about 93% of the time as a US Rep.

And Rococo, even though it's impossible to truly tell, I highly doubt that there are more ultra right-wing Republicans then there are moderate Republicans. Same goes for the opposite end in regards to Democrats.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2004, 09:33:09 PM »

Bill Jones will get blown out even though Barbara Boxer is an awful Senator.  We get back only $0.77 on every federal tax dollar we pay.  This is the nation's largest state!  We should be able to get some decent federal aid.  We have crumbling roads.  We have the worst schools in the nation (aside from DC).  We get low Medicare reimbursement, given our standard of living.  CA taxpayers pay the bill for all the illegals that are on Medicaid and Medical even though the Federal government is supposed to pay those benefits.  It is probably the nation's largest unfunded mandate.

Of course you guys get less money back from the federal government - the reasons are two:

1) you only have two senators for 35 million people.  Tough luck there Wink

2)  you keep electing senators and representatives from the long-term minority party - the Democrats.

Rococo4

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2004, 10:39:39 PM »

Yes it would be hard to tell, but I bet that more Republicans overall would prefer Toomeys voting record over Specter.  I dont really care how Specter has voted, as I have said before, I just dont want him to be in charge of the Judicary Cmte.  If he wasnt in line for that I would probably back him just to keep the seat safe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies