Let's build an relevant "urban/suburban/rural county" map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:30:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Let's build an relevant "urban/suburban/rural county" map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Let's build an relevant "urban/suburban/rural county" map  (Read 11809 times)
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »

Did this ever get finished?
Bus Wanker

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »

Took a stab at Illinois. Struggled with Rockford vs Springfield vs Champaign-Urbana, on whether they are urban or mini metros. Mostly based on my own perceptions, I determined Rockford (Winnebago County) to be urban and Springfield (Sangamon County) and Champaign just barely miss the cut. With all the new high rises in Champaign as well as the fairly dense downtown core, I could definitely see the argument for urban though. I'm somewhat comfortable leaving Sangamon as a mini metro.

I don't have the minimum number of posts to link a photo, so here's the url:
ibb.co/e0KiyF

I know there are some arbitrary constraints with this, but it's weird to see Rockford considered urban...

... while Peoria is not:

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Although I always thought the Peoria skyline pic was a bit deceiving about Peoria. Having spent a bit of time there, I never though it felt urban at all. They have some large buildings that make it look more urban than it really is in photos, again, in my opinion. On the ground, I actually think Champaign is easily more urban.

Rockford I've only driven through so I don't know much about it. Based on its size and maybe a subconscious bias about it being in northern IL rather than central, I labeled it urban. But I'd be way more likely to move it down to mini metro than bump Peoria up to urban.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies