Elections in Forgottonia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:00:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Elections in Forgottonia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elections in Forgottonia  (Read 564 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2017, 09:57:13 PM »

In the 1960's, a group of legislators named a 16-county area in western Illinois "Forgottonia," claiming that the region had been left behind - or forgotten - by Washington and Springfield. Since, the term has frequently been applied more broadly to "the rest" of Illinois - outside of Chicago.

To celebrate Illinois' bicentennial and my having a bit more time on my hands over the next couple of months, I'm going to put together a few posts (we'll see how far it goes) to explore the split between Chicago and "the rest," particularly how "the rest" would vote if we Chicagoans weren't around.

Hope you enjoy. Like many binges I go on here on Atlas Forum, how deep this will go remains to be seen. It could be capped at a couple of posts or I could still be making posts on this thread two or three years from now. Cheers!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »

Obligatory self-plug.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:46:55 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2017, 10:52:32 PM by Mr. Illini »

Below is a table with the results of the Presidential, Senatorial, and Gubernatorial elections in Illinois from 1990 through present day. These elections are split into three groupings - how the state minus Cook County voted, how Cook County voted, and then how the state as a whole voted. Third parties are excluded.

At this point, as stated, I've defined "The Rest"/"Forgottonia" as Illinois minus Cook, but that was short-sighted because at some point I would like to do some work using "The Rest" or Forgottonia as Illinois minus Cook and the collar counties, as I actually feel like that is a more accurate representation of the state's climate (obviously the collars are more closely tied to Cook than they are the rest of the state. Oh, well.

Some things we can notice...

I did not actually think, before I ran the numbers, that Forgottonia would have voted much to the left heading back in time despite the southern portion of the state (or, Little Egypt) having certainly become much more Republican over the last 27 years. This was because I included the collar counties in this example, and those areas are well-populated and have certainly marched left.

What I believe this tells us is that 1) I overestimated the population weight of the collar counties and 2) downstate's swing has likely been greater than the swing in the suburbs. To a smaller degree, the collars have grown, but that's not a great explanation because in that sense, their growth and increasing Democratic-voting would provide a counterbalance to the increasing Republican-voting (and population decline) downstate.

Durbin's margins downstate are truly impressive - as was Obama's 2004 performance. For Obama, obviously Keyes was not a good candidate and hopped in at the last minute amid the Ryan scandal, but even so, it is rare to see such margins (and probably unthinkable in the climate we're currently existing in).

One place that we do see that collar Democratic strength is in the 2016 Presidential. We know that downstate swung heavily toward Trump, so Clinton's 47% in Forgottonia is a testament to the how strongly the collar counties were repelled by Trump/Pence.

Another collar-muscle-flexing moment - the 1998 Gubernatorial. Poshard was unquestionably popular downstate, but he lost Forgottonia, explained only by Ryan's numbers in the collars. My, how things have changed.

A situation like 1990 is really hard to imagine these days - Republican Edgar won, but only got 55% in Forgottonia. Compare to 2014 where Rauner needed 63% in Forgottonia to pull off the victory statewide.

Impressive that Clinton won Forgottonia twice.

I am hoping to keep going with this back through hopefully at least the 1960's, but that is enough for tonight.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:51:22 PM »

Thanks, A Strange Reflection - I'll have to be careful not to waste time duplicating.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »

Of course I post and then discover that someone else did a chunk of the work for me. Oh well, hope the senate and governor results are enjoyed.

One of the amazing things is how much work various posters here have done over the decade plus that I've been on. A search for just about any state (or alternate) can turn up quite a lot. For example, it's only with some of their work that I was able to produce my redistricting rules.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

Thanks, A Strange Reflection - I'll have to be careful not to waste time duplicating.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be annoying. Besides, we aren't using the same definitions (you're dividing Illinois into Cook Co. and everything else, whereas I had the collar counties together with Cook). So by all means continue this. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies