Opinion of Francisco Franco?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:42:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Francisco Franco?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think about Francisco Franco?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Opinion of Francisco Franco?  (Read 2277 times)
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

This shouldn't even be in question, he was an obvious HP.

This is so right on. HP all the way.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 07:19:25 PM »

People voting FF are probably doing so to troll the results and not because they believe in such.

I think Francisco Franco is terrible.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »

My father lived under Franco's Spain in the early 70s since Yugoslav communists forced you to study abroad for a year

Franco was not a good man
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 12:16:06 AM »

My father lived under Franco's Spain in the early 70s since Yugoslav communists forced you to study abroad for a year

Worse than Tito?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2017, 12:28:53 AM »

Worse than Tito?

In the Yugoslavian University System...for whatever reason you had to spend a year abroad in both Spain and the USSR. Franco's Spain was a disaster but my dad would always saw the USSR wouldn't last based on his experiences. Even  in the 70s it was a dump with issues the Western world couldn't comprehend

Tito's Yugoslavia was a promised Land in comparison
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »

He saved Spain from communism, held it together, and made it strong. Was he an abusive tyrant? Yes. Dictators tend to be. At least he stopped the far left militants who were murdering catholics and didn't starve millions of his people to death. Compared to other dictators of the era and the alternative if he'd lost the war, Franco was good.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 09:54:59 AM »

Of course I have opposite political views comparing to him.

But I have to admit that he was very inteligent in his politics. He showed to Hitler that he could join the Axis, so, Spain was not invaded when its army was weak after the Civil War, when the Germans were occuping France and they wanted to control the Mediterran. But Franco did not join the Axis, became closer to the Western allies when the war was close to the end, and then, he could survive 30 years after 1945.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »

He wasn't a very nice man, was he? Of course pretty mild and inoffensive by the standards of Twentieth Century dictators, but that says more about the rest of the pack than him. Congrats on not committing genocide! Yeah...
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

^ I know. Nonetheless, I approve of his traditionalism, his nationalism, and the fact that he valiantly fought the far-left and won.

He might’ve literally prosecuted those of minority religions, but at least he triggered the libs!

Modern conservatism in a nutshell.

The funny thing about this is that it's their religion. So, a president could start tossing protestant Christians in jail and they'd be fine with it as long as he was still trolling the libtards and getting LOLs.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »

There is a big difference between ordinary liberals and communist mass murderers (who, if their track record in other countries is any indication, would have persecuted all religious groups had they won).
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »

There is a big difference between ordinary liberals and communist mass murderers (who, if their track record in other countries is any indication, would have persecuted all religious groups had they won).
Not all Republicans were communist and the Spanish Communists were saner than their, say, Soviet or Chinese counterparts.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 10:04:47 PM »

The atrocities committed by the two sides of the Civil War are not equal in scope. On the republican side, the brutality was a consequence of a breakdown of order as the various factions descended into infighting and anarchy (often with a capital A). By contrast, the far more sizable terror from the Nationalists came from the top down. Terror (rape, murder, torture) inflicted on the Spanish peasantry, working class and intellectuals was the primary strategy of Franco and his cronies.

It is interesting to note that individuals like Thomas from NJ and Pennsylvania Deplorable would happily endorse the mass murder of the majority of this forum, if circumstances called for it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »

He wasn't a very nice man, was he? Of course pretty mild and inoffensive by the standards of Twentieth Century dictators, but that says more about the rest of the pack than him. Congrats on not committing genocide! Yeah...

Paul Preston argued that his actions could be called a genocide (in fact he used the word Holocaust, which was probably a bit too much).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 11:05:28 PM »

It is interesting to note that individuals like Thomas from NJ and Pennsylvania Deplorable would happily endorse the mass murder of the majority of this forum, if circumstances called for it.

I wish I could say this surprised me.
1978 New Wave skinny trousers
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »

This shouldn't even be in question, he was an obvious HP.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 12:19:28 AM »

Unless you are suggesting that the majority of this forum is involved in actively slaughtering Catholics and political opponents as the militant left was in 1930s Spain, then no. Franco was the superior option given the political realities of Spain at the time. Considering how many would have died if Spain went the Stalin route, that is clear as day to me.

It would be like me saying you "endorse the mass murder of political opponents" if you say either side was better in the French Revolution or the Russian, Chinese, Greek, etc civil wars over communism.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 12:49:35 AM »

This is incorrect. The major events of anti-clerical violence came after Franco's reign of terror had already been rolled out in southern Spain, and was opposed by the republican authorities.

The thing that is "clear as day" to me is that you are happy to endorse the murder and rape of your political opponents.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:59 AM »

Unless you are suggesting that the majority of this forum is involved in actively slaughtering Catholics and political opponents as the militant left was in 1930s Spain, then no. Franco was the superior option given the political realities of Spain at the time. Considering how many would have died if Spain went the Stalin route, that is clear as day to me.

It would be like me saying you "endorse the mass murder of political opponents" if you say either side was better in the French Revolution or the Russian, Chinese, Greek, etc civil wars over communism.

What? If you're worried about the violence of the civil war engendered by leftists and the possibility of communist takeover then why would you consider Franco a good guy when he caused the civil war and radicalisation by launching a military coup against the democratic government of Spain?
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 06:35:08 PM »

>supports fascists
"You can't call everyone you don't like a fascist"

And to Pennsylvania Deplorable: is he an FF or HP? Choose one, it really isn't that hard.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies