If Roy Moore wins, Will he be expelled from the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:12:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Roy Moore wins, Will he be expelled from the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will he be expelled?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: If Roy Moore wins, Will he be expelled from the Senate?  (Read 1506 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »

Will Roy Moore be expelled if he wins the Alabama senate race?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »

I wouldn't put it past senate Rs to just seat him and act like nothing happened.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:06:00 PM »

Nope, it'll be like nothing happened.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:18 PM »

No, because I have 0 faith in the Senate Republican Caucus.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »

No. McConnell would rather have a reliable vote than have an actually decent human being in that seat.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:57:18 PM »

No. McConnell would rather have a reliable vote than have an actually decent human being in that seat.

I definitely don't see Moore being a reliable vote for McConnell. Have you not followed the campaign recently? Moore has declared war on McConnell.
You're right, but he's a reliable vote compared to Doug Jones, which is all that matters in the end.
UncleSam

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »

I definitely don't see Moore being a reliable vote for McConnell. Have you not followed the campaign recently? Moore has declared war on McConnell.
You're right, but he's a reliable vote compared to Doug Jones, which is all that matters in the end.
At that point the alternative wouldn't be Doug Jones though, it would be a Kay Ivey appointee into another special election. I'll bet McConnell would take that in a heartbeat over Roy Moore.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »

It could be a nasty long process though. Back in the 1990's when Senator Bob Packwood was accused of multiple cases of sexual harassment, it took 33 months after a long ethics committee investigation for the Senate to expel him. It could happen with Moore if he wins as well.
Nichlemn

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »

There will probably be a lot of finger-wagging from Republicans and "efforts to expel", that die away after a month or so when Moore is no longer in the headlines.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:10 PM »

ofc not
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:23 PM »

No, because then rapists in the Senate would be worried they're next.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »

Of course he will. But it won't be because of the sexual problems - though that will be the front. Rather, it is because Moore is an unreliable Republican vote at best, and a unyielding ideologue at worst. McConnell wants another Strange (though not Strange) who will happily follow the Senate Leaderships goals and motives.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »

I have much less faith in Senate Republicans than I do in Alabama voters.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:02 AM »

Are we talking about the same Mitch McConnell who actively pushed Bob Packwood and Larry Craig out of the Senate entirely?
It's not the 1990s or early 2000s anymore. McConnell has long lost any semblance of a soul.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »

Are we talking about the same Mitch McConnell who actively pushed Bob Packwood and Larry Craig out of the Senate entirely?
It's not the 1990s or early 2000s anymore. McConnell has long lost any semblance of a soul.
He went full turtle. You never go full turtle.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »

At that point the alternative wouldn't be Doug Jones though, it would be a Kay Ivey appointee into another special election. I'll bet McConnell would take that in a heartbeat over Roy Moore.

Yeah, McConnell (and probably the entirety of the GOP caucus in the Senate) would almost certainly *like* to expel Moore and replace him with an Ivey-appointed Republican.  The calculation they'd have to make though is whether it's too politically risky.  As long as Trump's in Moore's corner, my guess is that they don't do it.  If they somehow convinced Trump that dumping Moore was a good idea, then I think they'd do it.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »

Without a doubt McConnell would want Moore gone, but I'm not sure he has the power to kick him out over what are at this point just accusations. If Moore was expelled, a republican would be appointed to fill his place, so the GOP would have nothing to lose by doing it. This is what I hope happens.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »

Without a doubt McConnell would want Moore gone, but I'm not sure he has the power to kick him out over what are at this point just accusations.

The Senate can kick him out over whatever they want.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, like I said, I assume that this is what McConnell and the rest of the GOP caucus would like to do.  But if Trump's going to attack them for doing so, then they presumably won't.  They would need Trump on board for this to work.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »

lol no. They'll just say MUH Al Franken and call it fine.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »

I'm not sure. I can't see McConnell bringing such a motion to a vote without a solid majority of the GOP caucus in favor. But then the question becomes, do Democrats sign on, or do they try to keep Moore in the Senate in order to hurt the Republicans, representing a state they can't win anyway?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »

I suspect Roy Moore will argue that even if the charges are true, he can't be expelled from the U.S Senate because they occurred before he was elected to the U.S Senate and the whole process will bog down.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2017, 11:05:39 AM »

I Don't see it happening. Could be a great way if sending Sessions back to Alabama before the entire Russia thing grows by too much.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »

I'm not sure. I can't see McConnell bringing such a motion to a vote without a solid majority of the GOP caucus in favor. But then the question becomes, do Democrats sign on, or do they try to keep Moore in the Senate in order to hurt the Republicans, representing a state they can't win anyway?

The Dems are not going to vote to keep Moore around.  They're not about to drink political poison over something like that.

I suspect Roy Moore will argue that even if the charges are true, he can't be expelled from the U.S Senate because they occurred before he was elected to the U.S Senate and the whole process will bog down.

Like I said, my guess is that McConnell doesn't push for expulsion unless he's got Trump on board, and that looks dicey at best.  But *if* McConnell decides to go ahead with expulsion, then my guess is that he pushes it through as fast as possible.  The Ethics Committee will move at lightning speed to get this over with as fast as possible, and I don't think Moore can do anything to slow it down.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2017, 09:19:58 PM »

I believe it will depend on the veracity of the notations in the yearbook. 

Moore has denied it entirely and denied knowing Nelson.  If the entire notation is not his.  He survives.  If it is entirely his, he is dead meat.   If is part his and part not his, I am not positive what happens.  But, I think he tossed out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies