China to invest 83.7 billion in West Virginia to build petrochemical plants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  China to invest 83.7 billion in West Virginia to build petrochemical plants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: China to invest 83.7 billion in West Virginia to build petrochemical plants  (Read 2488 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:53:02 PM »

Potentially big news. That lump sum is more than the ENTIRE state's GDP.

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/11/19/more-about-china-energy-west-virginias-enormous-new-trading-partner/

This could be a pretty shrewd move. I wondered how he was going to navigate the coal miners. Coal is dying, and he actively courted their support. Looks like the pitch will be that he will shift them from mining jobs to chemical plant jobs.

The other big winner here will be the midstream providers in WV. If China is about to dumb billions into shale gas development, somebody has to get that gas to market.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:09:53 PM »

If it actually ends up providing jobs for West Virginians then it's a good thing and the administration should be commended. Of course I would prefer the government to create jobs to ensure income for these parts of the country, but corporate America will never allow that.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »

God, this needed to happen. I just hope that we can get leadership that decides to use some of the revenue for healthcare, education, infrastructure repair, or hell, even a UBI.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:39 PM »

It's not coal though, so all the people who used to work coal will reject it and wait for Trump to save them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. #sad.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:38:22 PM »

Plastic. It's about as close as they will get to coal.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »

#Winning

Thanks President Xi!
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

China is gonna create more jobs in West Virginia than Trump could ever hope to "create". RIP r/the_donald
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »

China is gonna create more jobs in West Virginia than Trump could ever hope to "create". RIP r/the_donald

Trump asked Xi to build there right after he helped the 3 thieves get out of China.  Wink
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »

If it actually ends up providing jobs for West Virginians then it's a good thing and the administration should be commended. Of course I would prefer the government to create jobs to ensure income for these parts of the country, but corporate America will never allow that.

Trump only cares about the parts of the country that supported him. Look at this, his Florida/Texas responses, etc. vs Puerto Rico, California, etc.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »

Shrewd political move by China. I will cool my China rhetoric for a few days in thanks.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »

If it actually ends up providing jobs for West Virginians then it's a good thing and the administration should be commended.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »

If it actually ends up providing jobs for West Virginians then it's a good thing and the administration should be commended.

I can't wait to see the air, water, and soil pollution, along with the use of eminent domain and destruction of West Virginia's local environment for the purpose of extraction and transportation of these resources from the state. Add to that I wouldn't expect any significant amount of in-state investment stemming from this; the state will be tapped for its resources and the wealthy will be siphoned away to wealthy investors and executives located far away. I suppose there will be some benefit from job growth, which will trickle down into other aspects of the local economy as well, but I wouldn't expect too much.
swf541

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »

I can't wait to see the air, water, and soil pollution, along with the use of eminent domain and destruction of West Virginia's local environment for the purpose of extraction and transportation of these resources from the state. Add to that I wouldn't expect any significant amount of in-state investment stemming from this; the state will be tapped for its resources and the wealthy will be siphoned away to wealthy investors and executives located far away. I suppose there will be some benefit from job growth, which will trickle down into other aspects of the local economy as well, but I wouldn't expect too much.

West Virginias environment is already destroyed.......
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 06:28:46 PM »

West Virginias environment is already destroyed.......

That's not exactly a sound reason for destroying it more.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »

*shrugs* that's a good thing.

I'm hoping some money running through the state will allow more green industry and investment in things that will make West Virginia's growth more permanent, but this is fine.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 06:49:32 PM »

Trump asked Xi to build there right after he helped the 3 thieves get out of China.  Wink
Just like he asked Papa Trump for a small loan of a million dollars.

Make no mistake, Xi is playing the long game here
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »

It won't mean a damn thing, because these people refuse to take the training for new jobs. They want coal or nothing at all.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 12:40:42 AM »

It's not coal though, so all the people who used to work coal will reject it and wait for Trump to save them. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. #sad.

If the water is coming from a petrochemical plant, the horse might have a good reason.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 12:52:12 AM »

Ban all foreign investment
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 01:27:19 AM »

No doubt the coal miners were right to vote for TRUMP. Freedom investment!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 05:52:28 AM »

Trump only cares about the parts of the country that supported him. Look at this, his Florida/Texas responses, etc. vs Puerto Rico, California, etc.

Trump cared about Texas?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 08:26:15 AM »

Not holding my breath for this to materialize on anything like this scale or to endure past Trump's term. China knows what it needs to tell Trump when they meet.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »

Shale oil is as dirty an industry as there is.

But let us not forget: a petrochemical industry attracts well-educated people who so far have been the political bane of Donald Trump. the Chinese may be investing, but if I worked for a Chinese company I would know where my paycheck comes from.

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

Shale oil is as dirty an industry as there is.

But let us not forget: a petrochemical industry attracts well-educated people who so far have been the political bane of Donald Trump. the Chinese may be investing, but if I worked for a Chinese company I would know where my paycheck comes from.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that petrochemical engineers and scientists tend to be more republican, at least compared to similar positions in some other industries.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »

It won't mean a damn thing, because these people refuse to take the training for new jobs. They want coal or nothing at all.
What??!?! That's complete bull and reveals a total lack of understanding of West Virginians. Are you really going to buy in to the whole "culture of poverty" bs?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies