Donald Trump and Roy Moore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Donald Trump and Roy Moore
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Donald Trump and Roy Moore  (Read 1400 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »

I don't see what Trump has to gain by leaving Moore to twist in the wind: irrespective of any personal shortcomings, Moore would be Trump's strongest ally in the Senate. That's all that matters.

Trump should just fly to Alabama for yet another runway campaign stop and embrace Roy Moore while he's there. With Trump's visible support, Moore will win by a much stronger margin than what the polls are showing now and thereby frighten the GOP senate leadership from any attempt at his expulsion.

Moore is a loose cannon. Trump said one of the reasons he backed Strange was because he was an automatic yes vote on anything he wanted.

That was a good reason for choosing Strange then, but that is water under the bridge now.

I still think keeping Moore hands-off is foolish for Trump (and the GOP leadership) unless he thinks that Moore can win without his visible support -- which, in fact, would make Moore even more obstreperous when he is elected. In return for a sure(r) vote in the senate, Trump should fly to Alabama and stump for Moore. 
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »

Trump just heard someone say "Big Luther" and thought it would be more fun to Tweet.

The Chad Luther and the Virgin Roy.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »

I don't see what Trump has to gain by leaving Moore to twist in the wind: irrespective of any personal shortcomings, Moore would be Trump's strongest ally in the Senate. That's all that matters.

Trump should just fly to Alabama for yet another runway campaign stop and embrace Roy Moore while he's there. With Trump's visible support, Moore will win by a much stronger margin than what the polls are showing now and thereby frighten the GOP senate leadership from any attempt at his expulsion.

Moore is a loose cannon. Trump said one of the reasons he backed Strange was because he was an automatic yes vote on anything he wanted.

Stop insulting loose cannons.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »

Stop insulting loose cannons.

Yeah, good point. At least loose cannons don't try to molest kids.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 06:54:31 PM »

If Moore does lose, I'm sure Trump will talk about how Strange could have won.

Strange would have won with no problems, it's Alabama. If Moore loses it's 100% on him (although I think he'll still win easily).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:08 AM »

Yes, that calculation makes sense. The Senate is full of Republicans from the right and center who vote nay as means of grand standing. Trump didn't want another Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or John McCain. He wanted someone who will keep his mouth shut and vote yes.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

Yes, that calculation makes sense. The Senate is full of Republicans from the right and center who vote nay as means of grand standing. Trump didn't want another Rand Paul, Ted Cruz or John McCain. He wanted someone who will keep his mouth shut and vote yes.

Perhaps Trump can persuade Strange to resign, at which time AL Gov Kay Ivey appoints Sessions (or anybody else) to his old seat.  This creates a new vacancy, and (perhaps) a new Special Election, where Moore would have to start from scratch in the electoral process.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »

It's almost like someone in the White House somehow read my post:

Trump all but endorses Roy Moore

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:26 PM »

There's something unusual about the way Donald Trump has treated Roy Moore. Trump never shies away from controversy, and yet, AFAIK, hasn't said or tweeted anything about the news in Alabama. Furthermore, Trump initially endorsed Strange over Moore, despite Moore seemingly being the more "Trumpist" candidate of the two, and very much in line with Trump's favorite guys like Joe Arpaio.

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is - what is the relationship between these two on a personal level? More specifically, did Trump know something beforehand that told him to keep Moore at arm's length, even if it wasn't anything specific that we know now?

It's almost like someone in the White House somehow read my post:

Trump all but endorses Roy Moore

Quote from: Restricted

Obviously, someone finally got around to telling the Moron-in-Chief about about Moore predilection for pedophilia and sexual assault.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »

Ari Fleischer‏Verified account
@AriFleischer
 8m8 minutes ago

To anyone critical of Trump believing Moore, pls see what Rep. Clyburn said re Conyers:  Clyburn said he was not sure the claims “have any real substance. You can’t jump to conclusions with these types of things. For all I know, all of this could be made up.” (Source: NYT)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »

@AriFleischer
 8m8 minutes ago

To anyone critical of Trump believing Moore, pls see what Rep. Clyburn said re Conyers:  Clyburn said he was not sure the claims “have any real substance. You can’t jump to conclusions with these types of things. For all I know, all of this could be made up.” (Source: NYT)

And this is why, from a tactical perspective, the left needs to have no tolerance or excuses for our own on this issue. Excusing sexual assault CANNOT become 'both sides do it'.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 09:48:22 AM »

@AriFleischer
 8m8 minutes ago

And this is why, from a tactical perspective, the left needs to have no tolerance or excuses for our own on this issue. Excusing sexual assault CANNOT become 'both sides do it'.

Absolutely correct but they're teetering with the way Franken, especially, is being handled.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »

@AriFleischer
 8m8 minutes ago

Absolutely correct but they're teetering with the way Franken, especially, is being handled.

I don't know what to think about Franken's case.

Conyers, on the other hand, is flat-out sexual harassment, documented, and a settlement reached.  There's no gray area there. 

I lost all respect for Clyburn, and, pretty much, all respect for the Black Caucus.  None of these folks have anything credible to say about Trump, or anyone else, at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies