What circumstances would result in this map?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:51:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What circumstances would result in this map?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What circumstances would result in this map?  (Read 1195 times)
twenty42
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2017, 12:34:19 AM »

And what would the popular vote figures be?

It’s a 289-249 D win, by the way.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 12:35:54 AM »

2020: Trump bottoms out in the sun belt suburbs but maintains most of his support with working-class whites.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:00:24 AM »

2020: Trump bottoms out in the sun belt suburbs but maintains most of his support with working-class whites.

Yeah, this. I think MN would stay D, as the swing against him in the suburbs more than makes up any advantages he may have picked up in rural MN.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:01:57 AM »

Trump keeps his support with WWC, even gains more in the midwest but falls off a cliff with white college grads.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:48:14 AM »

Trump keeps his support with WWC, even gains more in the midwest but falls off a cliff with white college grads.

Maine would likely flip though, but basically yea.

Also it would have to be limited to sunbelt white college grads combined with substantially higher minority turnout. Which would make that map very plausible. This means that Trump would hold up better in some suburbs then others.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »

Agreed with the above. This is pretty much Kamala’s most viable path to victory with Michigan being a toss-up.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »

I'd give the D Ohio also, given its bellwether status.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »

Maine would likely flip though, but basically yea.

Also it would have to be limited to sunbelt white college grads combined with substantially higher minority turnout. Which would make that map very plausible. This means that Trump would hold up better in some suburbs then others.

This sounds right
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »

I'd give the D Ohio also, given its bellwether status.

Missouri was the perfect bellwether until 2008. Ohio seems to be going the same way. Florida is probably a better one now. No way Ohio votes D while PA, WI, MI, and MN vote R.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »

Honestly, if this map is true, it shows the holes in the GOP's Rust Belt Strategy.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »

Looks like Julian Castro got the nomination, where Castro overwhelmingly pulls the Latino vote, and where Castro is close enough to Clinton ideologically where he appeals to the Atlanta suburbs. No clue who the VP would be, probably someone with WWC appeal. Maybe John Bel Edwards?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »

If special elections are any indication, New Hampshire has turned violently against Trump.
I doubt they would vote to reelect Trump while the country at large goes to the opposite direction.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »

Kamala Harris with Trump at 38-40% approval. Of course this strategy kills the Democrats in the Senate long-term so this is a no go.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

If special elections are any indication, New Hampshire has turned violently against Trump.
I doubt they would vote to reelect Trump while the country at large goes to the opposite direction.

But Bush won it in 2000 and it's actually a Republican state at heart because something something tax policy independent streak prone to wild swings!

After Democrats landslide margins last year (2,000 votes for President and 1,000 votes for senate) and the state having trended Republican in 2008, 2012, and 2016, we can conclude that angry white women have turned the state Solid D.
Ouch.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 03:25:27 PM »

But Bush won it in 2000 and it's actually a Republican state at heart because something something tax policy independent streak prone to wild swings!

After Democrats landslide margins last year (2,000 votes for President and 1,000 votes for senate) and the state having trended Republican in 2008, 2012, and 2016, we can conclude that angry white women have turned the state Solid D.

LOL, well that stuff doesn't matter, duh!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2017, 07:44:31 PM by MT Treasurer »

LOL, well that stuff doesn't matter, duh!

You two can believe whatever you want or whatever supports your narrative, we'll see in one and three years how Republican those libertarian, wealthy suburbanites (Wink) still are.

Also, you didn't actually address Lyndon's point. Republicans have gotten clobbered in all NH special elections so far.

*2,736 votes, mind you. Which is not THAT close in a state like NH. Sure, she undeperformed in the state, but you'd think that the GOP would be able to win a "swing" state that is like 93% White in an election in which they're winning the White vote by 20 points nationally. The state also has an all-Democratic Congressional delegation and McCain/Romney/Trump were all considered "good fits" for NH and still couldn't win it. Chris Sununu only won by 2 against a weak opponent despite his "last name" and emphasizing his liberal stance on most social issues (especially abortion). He only lost the female vote by 7, whereas Trump and Ayotte both lost it by 13. He didn't do significantly better with males, the reason he won was the female vote.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2017, 08:45:15 PM by MT Treasurer »

Yeah, like I said I was surprised that the state was so close (and that Sununu won the gubernatorial race), but I still don't believe that there is enough evidence to support your theory that NH is trending Republican in the long term, especially if you believe that ME was just an "outlier" or a "one-off". We'll see in 2018 and 2020, though. Maybe I'm wrong and the state is actually trending Republican, but I seriously doubt it. There's certainly a lot at stake for me and IceSpear next year.

Also, I wasn't assessing the effectiveness of the Republican Party's electoral strategy. Like, not at all. But if Trumpism is the reason why Republicans can't win in NH, then why did Romney get crushed there?
mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »

Yeah, like I said I was surprised that the state was so close (and that Sununu won the gubernatorial race), but I still don't believe that there is enough evidence to support your theory that NH is trending Republican in the long term, especially if you believe that ME was just an "outlier" or a "one-off". We'll see in 2018 and 2020, though. Maybe I'm wrong and the state is actually trending Republican, but I seriously doubt it.
But what happened to all those angry NH women that made it titanium D? Something tells me your sample size that this assertion is based on is a little shallow 😉
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 09:02:14 PM »

Sununu will probably lose in 2018 since it’s a GOP WH midterm. You’ll also probably see plenty of Midwestern states elect Democrats (even Wississippi probably will elect a Democrat) but that doesn’t mean these states aren’t moving toward the GOP column long term.

That's why I said and 2020. Also, it's not as if the governor's race is the only race on the ballot, control of the State House and the Senate will be at stake as well. We'll see what happens in the Executive Council, Democrats should defeat at least one Republican.

I doubt that Walker, Reynolds, Husted, etc. are more likely to lose than Sununu, though. But again, only time will tell, and there's simply no point in arguing about this. I just find this forum's fixation on NH incredibly bizarre, tbh.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

Sununu will probably lose in 2018 since it’s a GOP WH midterm. You’ll also probably see plenty of Midwestern states elect Democrats (even Wississippi probably will elect a Democrat) but that doesn’t mean these states aren’t moving toward the GOP column long term.

That's why I said and 2020. Also, it's not as if the governor's race is the only race on the ballot, control of the State House and the Senate will be at stake as well. We'll see what happens in the Executive Council, Democrats should defeat at least one Republican.

I doubt that Walker, Reynolds, Husted, etc. are more likely to lose than Sununu, though. But again, only time will tell, and there's simply no point in arguing about this.

Those three states all voted to the right of NH so is it really that suprising that the republicans have a better shot at the gubernatorial races there than in NH?

Anyhow, when demographics, economics, and climate change finally put the GOP in the corner they’ll have to come to grips with the changing electorate and will need to dump the most toxic elements of their Party to win a national election. They’ll make inroads in NH at this point (dumping their Buchananite-Trumpian southern strategy offensive and overtly religious insanity).

The 2012 autopsy will be vindicated in the 2020’s.
Agreed.  I think the only socially conservative plank they'll keep in the long-term is gun rights.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies