Firefox Quantum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:46:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Firefox Quantum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your opinion of the latest version of Firefox
FU
HU
I use the even older version that can run DRA
I don't use Firefox
What is Firefox?
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Firefox Quantum  (Read 778 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »

Mozilla just did a major update to Firefox called "Quantum" that supposedly will make things more stable and secure (we'll see about that).  However, it breaks a number of add ons that either haven't or cant update to the new restrictions and they released it with no notice to end users who aren't developers that the update might break things, and no easy way to undo the update once done.

I can understand the motivation given by the MF, but the execution has been horribly botched in my opinion.  So for me, this is a Horrible Update, not a Freedom Update.  By the way, does anyone know of a good replacement for BBCode?  Their supposed feature to help you find replacements for broken add ons sucks.  Of the four broken addons I have, it only had an actual recommendation for one. That said, of the addons I had that broke, BBCode was the only one I was seriously using and thus miss as a result.  (The other three, were a tab handler that I'd kept around because of inertia despite being obviated by improvments in the UIs of browsers these days and the other two were my IRC and FTP clients and I don't do either of those these days and might have even broken on an earlier update.)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »

Thank God, I'm not the only one with that issue. I even thought my PC was gonna die.

I can't log in to YouTube anymore. I first thought my account had been deleted, but the other accounts don't work, either. Now I use Chrome for YT and I can log in there again.

I can't handle the new version of NoScript anymore, and my English/German/Spanish dictionary add-on doesn't work anymore. Angry
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 02:05:39 AM »

Mozilla used to be the greatest freedom *company online. Now they've been taken over by idiots who made the addon verification system and blocked FoxVox which I've been using for 10 years until now but approved addons that are literally adware because they're more willing to jump through hoops. Again, there are malicious addons listed as normal on addons.mozilla.org - once the leading place for browser extensions on the entire internet - but there are several good addons that don't work anymore solely as a result of being kicked out of the walled garden.

I've also heard a rumor that Mozilla's donated real money to domestic terrorist organizations. This seems far fetched, unlike the above which is clear and easily proven.

I used to be a staunch defender of Firefox, insulting Chrome and all it's users for that browsers entire existence for daring to unseat Firefox as the web's most well regarded browser. I feel that Mozilla has betrayed me for its many poor decisions in recent years. Beginning with Firefox 4 a long time ago in copying Chrome's fast version numbering becomes tech bloggers like Chrome more, and now more legitimate downgrades like the browser adding nagware for updates as part of the UI (little greet shape on the menu button). Don't nag me to update. Don't lock MY addons on the wrong side of a walled garden and force me to downgrade the whole browser just to get them to work. I'm not allowed to enable them even in advanced settings because the high and mighty minds at mozilla have decided that I'm a child and I'm not allowed to play with some of my old toys.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:33:30 AM »

About half of our forumites use Chrome. Even Safari is slightly more used than Firefox, and I think this number will go down in the next few days.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »

Welp, it installed on my system (WITHOUT my WRITTEN PERMISSION) and I have to admit it's faster, but it also disabled several important addons again WITHOUT my written permission.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »

I still think Firefox is better than Chrome simply because Chrome is a massive memory hog. My entire computer will slow down whenever I use it. Firefox Quantum is also faster than Chrome because Chrome is still massively overrated.
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »

Still reading us with the older Firefox (47) but I have my updates set to not happen. However per the Google News headlines, all the techies seem to be the opposite of us and they like it with them wanting to throw out Chrome.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 09:13:45 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2017, 09:16:42 PM by HillGoose »

How do I get it? i think mines the same

EDIT: Nvm I use Internet Explorer. I learned something new today lol
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »

Still reading us with the older Firefox (47) but I have my updates set to not happen. However per the Google News headlines, all the techies seem to be the opposite of us and they like it with them wanting to throw out Chrome.

Yea, now that I'm actually using FF Quantum it's blazing fast and while it has the faults I ranted about above I really like it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »

It updated me automatically when I opened it a few days ago, which is stupid.
honestly doesn't seem any faster to me, though perhaps the plug-in I'm using to replace (now defunct Sad ) Session Manager is slowing it down.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 12:50:14 AM »

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »

that's literally me tho
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 05:06:35 AM »

Quantum is great. Keep crying, chromecucks.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 05:21:07 AM »

Does anyone here actually use Opera? I'd love to hear your experience.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »

Reliability is important to me, and to me that's much more than stability in any one particular version of the program, but being able to trust that features I use will continue to be usable until I decide that they aren't needed.  The way the MF keeps forcibly rolling out changes means I can't trust them to provide a stable platform.  For now, it will continue to be my primary browser because it's not yet worth the effort to change, but when I next get a new computer, Firefox will not be my primary browser. I can't trust the MF won't break something else for me.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »

I actually have two browsers on my laptop (main computer) for odd reasons - I use Safari for day-to-day things; but I have Chrome installed for the increasingly few sites that still use Flash for video since I don't need a full version of Flash on my MacBook; and Chrome bundles Flash within the browser which is handy.  At this point the only thing that I really need to use it for is the WWE Network since most other places have switched to HTML5 or similar technologies for online video, and although I'll probably always keep it around just for troubleshooting purposes Chrome is a bit useless for me after they discontinue Flash support along with Adobe in 2020.  I really like Safari; its quick, I like the Reading List thing for when I want to have an easy list of sites that I need without needing to create and delete bookmarks (really handy when looking for jobs to apply for; if I like the sound of something I'll add it to that) and other little things that aren't really needed but are nice - they've also started blocking videos from autoplaying on sites which is very appreciated because they has always annoyed me!

On my PC which I mostly use for games I use Chrome; again purely for laziness.  I used to use Firefox and before I got this PC I kept both updated but, eh, I never used the thing so its a waste of disk space and considering that Edge is shockingly good I do have a backup available if odd things happen.  Never heard of this new Firefox thing but I might check it out - if its actually good I might have to check it out, since I don't have the issue of needing legacy add-on support.  Does seem a bit disappointing if they are doing the walled garden thing for add-ons; that's not very good...

Considering that lots of sites have been showing "IE is terrible; please move to something more modern" banners for... years now (including Microsoft's own!); I've always wondered why the few that haven't shifted to something that's actually good.  Especially since increasing amounts of web content uses HTML5 and support for thing in IE is, well, not good.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »

I actually have two browsers on my laptop (main computer) for odd reasons - I use Safari for day-to-day things; but I have Chrome installed for the increasingly few sites that still use Flash for video since I don't need a full version of Flash on my MacBook; and Chrome bundles Flash within the browser which is handy.  At this point the only thing that I really need to use it for is the WWE Network since most other places have switched to HTML5 or similar technologies for online video, and although I'll probably always keep it around just for troubleshooting purposes Chrome is a bit useless for me after they discontinue Flash support along with Adobe in 2020.  I really like Safari; its quick, I like the Reading List thing for when I want to have an easy list of sites that I need without needing to create and delete bookmarks (really handy when looking for jobs to apply for; if I like the sound of something I'll add it to that) and other little things that aren't really needed but are nice - they've also started blocking videos from autoplaying on sites which is very appreciated because they has always annoyed me!

On my PC which I mostly use for games I use Chrome; again purely for laziness.  I used to use Firefox and before I got this PC I kept both updated but, eh, I never used the thing so its a waste of disk space and considering that Edge is shockingly good I do have a backup available if odd things happen.  Never heard of this new Firefox thing but I might check it out - if its actually good I might have to check it out, since I don't have the issue of needing legacy add-on support.  Does seem a bit disappointing if they are doing the walled garden thing for add-ons; that's not very good...

Considering that lots of sites have been showing "IE is terrible; please move to something more modern" banners for... years now (including Microsoft's own!); I've always wondered why the few that haven't shifted to something that's actually good.  Especially since increasing amounts of web content uses HTML5 and support for thing in IE is, well, not good.

according to this website I found, I'm using Internet Explorer 11, is that good?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

Its called "Internet Explorer"; it isn't good
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 06:28:28 AM »

keeps doing some weird thing on this forum: when I scroll down the page sometimes the whole page or a large portion of it will disappear for a moment.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 05:48:11 AM »

Unfortunately, it seems like the consensus in Silicon Valley is: "if it ain't broke, break it". The mentality is nothing close to increasing overall usability, both in hardware and software.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 06:08:24 AM »

guys i found the truth about how many people be using which browser. internet explorer 4 lyfe

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »

guys i found the truth about how many people be using which browser. internet explorer 4 lyfe

That chart got IE and Chrome mixed up. If you want more accurate browser statistics, use this site: https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/

IMO, without looking at historical stats, it's pretty easy to forget just how far Internet Explorer has fallen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies