Will the Democratic ticket ever be two white men again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:15:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the Democratic ticket ever be two white men again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Will the Democratic ticket ever be two white men again?  (Read 2487 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »

Probably at some point.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »

Probably not until after 2040.  I could absolutely see multiple white men winning the Dem nomination during 2020-40, including a heterosexual Christian white man, but what I can't see is this person picking another white man as his VP with the party coalitions being anything close to what they are today.  Now, if Great Depression 2.0 happens in the 2020's and the elections become entirely about economics, this becomes more plausible.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

Just doing some statistics:

Assume white men make up 35% of the adult American population.

If two American adults are picked at random, the odds of them both being white men is about 12%.

If a different duo of people is chosen randomly for five events, then the odds of at least one duo containing two white men is just under 50/50.

Comparing random groups to reality:
1.  White men probably make up a majority of Republican voters, so conversely white men probably make up less than 35% of Democratic voters.  RESULT:  Lower odds.
2.  White men still hold a disproportionate amount of power.  (I haven't counted the number of white male senators, but I'm guessing it's still over 75%.)  RESULT:  Higher odds.
3.  Candidates are sometimes repeated over multiple elections.  RESULT:  Lower odds.

Overall, I think the above three mostly cancel each other out.  I would guess that it's quite a bit more likely than not that at least one Democratic ticket before 2050 will contain two white men.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »

If two American adults are picked at random, the odds of them both being white men is about 12%.

If a different duo of people is chosen randomly for five events, then the odds of at least one duo containing two white men is just under 50/50.

1.  White men probably make up a majority of Republican voters, so conversely white men probably make up less than 35% of Democratic voters.  RESULT:  Lower odds.
2.  White men still hold a disproportionate amount of power.  (I haven't counted the number of white male senators, but I'm guessing it's still over 75%.)  RESULT:  Higher odds.
3.  Candidates are sometimes repeated over multiple elections.  RESULT:  Lower odds.

Overall, I think the above three mostly cancel each other out.  I would guess that it's quite a bit more likely than not that at least one Democratic ticket before 2050 will contain two white men.

The issue is that, on the Democratic side, there is perceived to be a particularly strong benefit from picking a VP who is demographically different from yourself.  It would take a substantial realignment to change this.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 02:56:24 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »

The issue is that, on the Democratic side, there is perceived to be a particularly strong benefit from picking a VP who is demographically different from yourself.  It would take a substantial realignment to change this.

Except that with the exception of Obama who obviously picked Biden for plenty of other reasons, no Democratic nominee has ever done this.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »

If it happens that both people have closely aligned political philosophies and are popular among the general public, then it could happen.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies