Requiring a diploma to vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:25:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Requiring a diploma to vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Requiring a diploma to vote  (Read 3355 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:38 PM »

About 25 years ago, someone on a local computer bulletin board system suggested that a high school diploma should be a prerequisite for voting.

I adamantly oppose this idea, but I do think civics education should be a part of every person's basic schooling. I also think that anyone who is wealthy but does not have a college education should be required to get one before enjoying the rights and privileges that other adult citizens have. They shouldn't get to coast through life on their inheritance. They should have to earn what they have, like everyone else has to.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:27:40 PM »

It seems kind of arbitrary to me. For instance, what makes someone who got their diploma so much more informed than the 17 year old who dropped out a year before graduating? Of course, I am very much in favor of maximum turnout, so I would never agree with this, but I still don't get the perceived benefits.

If the election of Trump has taught us anything, it's that even well-educated and/or wealthy people can make terrible choices.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:59 PM »

This is an awful idea because somebody can fail high school for any number of reasons, but that said I'd be in favor of being required to pass, or at the very least attend, some sort of civics class before being allowed to register.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »

You should be required to recite the middle part of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody to vote
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:17:05 AM »

Elitist trash. If you're a real citizen in good standing, you have a right to vote
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:32:49 AM »

Voting is a right, not a privilege.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 12:52:15 AM »

AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 01:44:56 AM »

Disturbing how some on the left want to limit the right to vote
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 01:56:44 AM »

Restricting voting rights is a terrible idea, no matter how you go about it. To the contrary we should work on expanding voting rights. I can't believe how tough it is for criminals to vote in many states. I say you should be able to vote even when in prison. You may have violated the law, but you are still a citizen.

Remember how in the "good old days" when nobody thought that women had the mental capacity to vote? Yeah well, if only women were deciding elections we would never have had the deplorable orangutan in the white house.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 02:02:11 AM »

Obviously, a college diploma or higher should not be prerequisite.

I would require a High School Diploma OR an equivalent (like a GED) for voters...though proof would only be required for registration, and not physically at the polling place.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 02:07:05 AM »

I think I supported the idea as a high school student. Like most ideas from back then, it's trash.

As Americans, we need to do a better job instilling civic virtue in the classroom, but this is not a fix.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 02:31:09 AM »

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 05:51:51 AM »

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »

It would discriminate against non-white voters. Much like the 'intelligence tests' under Jim Crow.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 07:43:49 AM »

About 25 years ago, someone on a local computer bulletin board system suggested that a high school diploma should be a prerequisite for voting.

lol
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

I’m torn on this.

Voting is certainly a right, but we don’t let children vote, so there are some qualifications to be able to take part in this right.

So there could perhaps be more qualifications to vote that include education level.  I mean, if a majority of the voting population ended up not even being high school graduates (extremely unlikely but possible), that wouldn’t be ideal.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 08:48:14 AM »

I’m torn on this.

Voting is certainly a right, but we don’t let children vote, so there are some qualifications to be able to take part in this right.

So there could perhaps be more qualifications to vote that include education level.  I mean, if a majority of the voting population ended up not even being high school graduates (extremely unlikely but possible), that wouldn’t be ideal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »

I’m torn on this.

The "Democratic" Party, folks.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »

It would discriminate against non-white voters. Much like the 'intelligence tests' under Jim Crow.

Basically it would be against any low-income person, which, of course, is proportionally more people of color. Low income folks are more likely to drop out due to economic reasons as well as various other reasons. It would also disenfranchise many elderly voters who may not have graduated or wouldn't have the documentation to prove their graduation.

It's a really, really horrible idea. Yes, we need informed voters, but we also just need people to be involved in the political process, and that means more voters.

A better option would be to have fact-sheets at polling stations that cover what the positions up for the vote do and maybe 250-word blurbs written by the candidates with contact info on how to learn more about them. A mini computer lab for research and people to help the visually disabled and illiterate on hand, as well. Of course, that's way too expensive to actually do, so I have a preferred option:

Making voting day a voting "week" and require all employers to provide one day of paid vacation during that week to all employees. This way, professions that require there to always be staff on hand (hospitals, jails, and many other things I can't think of) can keep their schedule sound--as well as places like McDonalds and other retail places that are loathe to allow time off--so that everyone has a more equal chance to vote. Also continue to allow early voting, obviously. On demand transit to polling stations--work with taxi companies as well as public transit to make sure people know they have access even if they can't pay for the ride.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »

I have always been for One dollar One vote.  One's vote is weight by the amount of tax dollars one pays.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »

A better option would be to have fact-sheets at polling stations that cover what the positions up for the vote do and maybe 250-word blurbs written by the candidates with contact info on how to learn more about them. A mini computer lab for research and people to help the visually disabled and illiterate on hand, as well.
[/quote]

We do get booklets like this sent out for the London Mayor and Assembly Elections. They're a good idea.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »

Restricting voting rights is a terrible idea, no matter how you go about it. To the contrary we should work on expanding voting rights. I can't believe how tough it is for criminals to vote in many states. I say you should be able to vote even when in prison. You may have violated the law, but you are still a citizen.

Remember how in the "good old days" when nobody thought that women had the mental capacity to vote? Yeah well, if only women were deciding elections we would never have had the deplorable orangutan in the white house.

I agree with all of this, except for allowing prisoners to vote.

I certainly believe that folks not incarcerated, including folks on active Probation, should be allowed to vote.  Prisoners, however, are not taxpayers, and they are folks whose rights have been taken by due process of law.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »

I’m torn on this.

Children are persons, but they do not have the RESPONSIBILITIES that go with Constitutional Rights.  A contract entered into with a child will not hold up.  Adults are legally responsible for children. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies