Requiring a diploma to vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:23:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Requiring a diploma to vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Requiring a diploma to vote  (Read 3357 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »

This is an awful idea because somebody can fail high school for any number of reasons, but that said I'd be in favor of being required to pass, or at the very least attend, some sort of civics class before being allowed to register.
So where's the money to hold all these classes going to come from? If there's a fee, its a de facto poll tax. If there's not, better get ready for a massive tax increase or cuts in spending. Of course even if free I'm sure that a single mom working two jobs might have some issues finding time for it, as well as college students, people without adequate transportation, etc.

So basically...this is a bigger voter disenfranchisement than Republican voter ID laws and you're a Horrible Person.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »

No. People have the right to vote for who they want no matter how idiotic someone else may find it. I find reasons certain people voted for the current President to be asinine and irritating, but that's the cost of living in a country with free and fair elections. I would rather be able to complain about that than not having an election to complain about at all.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »

Restricting voting rights is a terrible idea, no matter how you go about it. To the contrary we should work on expanding voting rights. I can't believe how tough it is for criminals to vote in many states. I say you should be able to vote even when in prison. You may have violated the law, but you are still a citizen.

Remember how in the "good old days" when nobody thought that women had the mental capacity to vote? Yeah well, if only women were deciding elections we would never have had the deplorable orangutan in the white house.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »

No, but yes to increasing civics education.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »

Seriously, this.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »

Atlas Liberals: Trump is a Fascist!
Also Atlas Liberals: We should disenfranchise underprivileged, disproportionately minority, Americans!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »

It would discriminate against non-white voters. Much like the 'intelligence tests' under Jim Crow.

It wasn't the idea of intelligence tests that was a problem per se, but the racist manner they were implemented. It's difficult to see how such tests could be implemented in a culturally neutral manner, so it's one of those utopian ideas that sounds fine in abstract but have proved utterly worthless when made concrete.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 11:47:56 AM »

Just because Republicans have engaged in voter suppression in recent years doesn't mean we should reawaken the demons of our segregationist and Jim Crow past by doing the same to them (which is what I assume this proposal is meant to do).  Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »

I have always been for One dollar One vote.  One's vote is weight by the amount of tax dollars one pays.

Countries aren't corporations with shareholders.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

This.

I do support a stronger civic education, though.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »

Also Atlas Liberals: We should disenfranchise underprivileged, disproportionately minority, Americans!

You notice how many liberals are against this just in this thread? Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

The vast majority of liberals in this thread are opposed.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »

The vast majority of liberals in this thread are opposed.

Is anyone other than NewYorkExpress supportive? Even the OP says he isn't.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:27 AM »

Elitist trash. If you're a real citizen in good standing, you have a right to vote
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 12:14:58 AM »

The GOP would, almost certainly, never win a presidential election, ever again.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 12:15:21 AM »

I have always been for One dollar One vote.  One's vote is weight by the amount of tax dollars one pays.
So that means that millionaires would have thousands of times more influence than the average citizen.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 12:27:41 AM »

This is an awful idea because somebody can fail high school for any number of reasons, but that said I'd be in favor of being required to pass, or at the very least attend, some sort of civics class before being allowed to register.
So where's the money to hold all these classes going to come from? If there's a fee, its a de facto poll tax. If there's not, better get ready for a massive tax increase or cuts in spending. Of course even if free I'm sure that a single mom working two jobs might have some issues finding time for it, as well as college students, people without adequate transportation, etc.

So basically...this is a bigger voter disenfranchisement than Republican voter ID laws and you're a Horrible Person.

A massive tax increase/spending cut of perhaps as much as 0.1% of the federal budget is small price to pay for having a more aware citizenry.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 12:39:27 AM »

Not a full diploma. But I think requiring passing American Law and Government Classes, which are typically taught somewhere in Grades 8-10 in the US, would make a lot of sense. I'm sorry, but if you don't even know what Congress is, you don't deserve to vote.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2017, 01:58:59 AM »

Since almost any voting restrictions are unconstitutional, including this, I'd like to say that I'd prefer passing a test on basic civics/government, economics, and history as a requirement to vote. I also think this would unfairly hurt older would be voters, many of whom left high school to go work in factories, farms, family businesses, etc back in a time when that was a normal and respectable career decision. Do they really know less from life experience than an 18 year old knows from taking trigonometry?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »

Maybe there could be some sort of grandfathering system - say if you're 45+ and were registered to vote before the new restrictions, you're exempt from the new restrictions. But for those younger and for future generations, I stand by what I said, and I don't think it's wrong to amend the constitution to do this:

Not a full diploma. But I think requiring passing American Law and Government Classes, which are typically taught somewhere in Grades 8-10 in the US, would make a lot of sense. I'm sorry, but if you don't even know what Congress is, you don't deserve to vote.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 02:41:20 AM »

Require it as part of middle school curriculum.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2017, 08:18:24 AM »

Require it as part of middle school curriculum.

And for every person who has already finished school? And immigrants? Trumpists would love how it disenfranchises them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

If the election of Trump has taught us anything, it's that even well-educated and/or wealthy people can make terrible choices.

But I thought the cognoscenti voted for Hillary?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »

If the election of Trump has taught us anything, it's that even well-educated and/or wealthy people can make terrible choices.

Postgraduates voted Clinton 58-37, Those who only have a Bachelor's degree voted Clinton 49-44. You have a point re: income, but it was the uneducated that enabled Trump, the educated voted against him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies