Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2017, 03:35:32 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderators: Beet, Apocrypha)
| | |-+  If we had mandatory voting;
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: would the resulting candidates elected to office be better quality politicians than those elected on the current system?
Yes   -13 (30.2%)
No   -30 (69.8%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: If we had mandatory voting;  (Read 880 times)
Solid4096
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:03:36 am »
Ignore

I would say yes.

I never use toss ups.

Current predictions
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:26:24 pm »
Ignore

The portion of the eligible population who doesn't vote tends to be less informed about candidates and issues. Mandatory voting would not make them want to be more informed, they would most likely just vote based on what information they do have. As such those voters would be giving more weight to easier metrics like name id and party preference. Votes cast on that basis aren't likely to improve the quality of the election candidates.

Great American Eclipse seconds before totality showing Baily's Beads.
MarkD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:36 pm »
Ignore

The portion of the eligible population who doesn't vote tends to be less informed about candidates and issues. Mandatory voting would not make them want to be more informed, they would most likely just vote based on what information they do have. As such those voters would be giving more weight to easier metrics like name id and party preference. Votes cast on that basis aren't likely to improve the quality of the election candidates.

^I agree with this, and also would add that if we force people to do something they don't want to do, they could do it with spiteful intentions. Imagine a large number of voters -- those forced to vote -- purposely voting for bad candidates out of spite for the law that forced them to vote.

Rewrite the 14th Amendment!
States should have clear guidelines what laws they cannot pass, and the federal courts should have far less discretion in choosing what laws to strike down. Take away from the federal courts the power to define liberty and the power to define equality. Those are legislative powers and should be in the hands of legislators. Rewrite Section 1 of the 14th to make its meaning narrower and clearer.
Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 01:51:00 pm »
Ignore

It would be better to make more people want to vote, and then also make it as easy to vote as possible. It's just a shame that not only is this often not attempted, but sometimes the opposite ideas are pushed.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 02:36:07 pm »
Ignore

The alternative argument is that people who don't vote don't vote precisely as they feel that the existing political parties/politicians do not address their concerns or interests.

At the moment, politicians overwhelmingly structure their policies and narrative to appeal to demographics who are more likely to turn out to vote for them, which overwhelmingly means appealing to middle class and older voters (with appalling consequences, as can be seen in the sorts of policies successive British governments have passed in order to appeal to wealthy older people, at the expense of the rest of the country - and thereby reinforcing a pattern of younger or working class voters not turning out out of the feeling of not being represented).

Mandatory voting would therefore, hopefully, force politicians to try and appeal to all of society, and to actually listen to people beyond the sharp elbowed existing voters. (there is, by the way, a pretty strong correlation between voter turnout, and progressive policies being enacted).
A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:04:49 pm »
Ignore

Politicians as a whole would be more responsive to all citizens' needs and interests, rather than just a few. So yes.

"In the end, the world we live in is in darkness."
"That's why... we seek the light."

Noir, episode 26
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 10:41:38 pm »
Ignore

I don't see how having MORE ignorant and apathetic people voting would make things better.  I do understand why lefties want them voting though.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Trumpism: Turn the dial all the way up and pull off the knob
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:33:08 am »
Ignore

No, people would vote for whoever they were told to vote for with even less thought than now. Go to some backwater hollar in WV or a slum in Baltimore and make these people vote. They'll check the box for whomever is most culturally acceptable in their locality.

I am willing to die in Korea for this man.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:47:31 am »
Ignore

I don't see how having MORE ignorant and apathetic people voting would make things better.  I do understand why lefties want them voting though.

I was not anticipating Mr. Reactionary to introduce 55 pieces of legislation in the South over the past week, which is negating the rise in unemployment that should result from Irma.

Mr. Reactionary ... a well-known crypto-fascist
Lechasseur
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 04:16:58 am »
Ignore

Rep.-elect wxtransit
wxtransit
YaBB God
Poland

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:27:20 am »
Ignore

^I agree with this, and also would add that if we force people to do something they don't want to do, they could do it with spiteful intentions. Imagine a large number of voters -- those forced to vote -- purposely voting for bad candidates out of spite for the law that forced them to vote.

All of this. I'm not sure, but mandatory voting may also be unconstitutional.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 01:29:02 am by wxtransit »Logged

Center-right conservative (E: 1.94, S: 3.48)
“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” - Disputed
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
A Strange Reflection
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 01:45:54 am »
Ignore

Given how "uninformed" the vast majority of the voting electorate is already, having everybody vote would really not make any meaningful difference in that respect.

"In the end, the world we live in is in darkness."
"That's why... we seek the light."

Noir, episode 26
Solid4096
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:17:40 am »
Ignore

All of this. I'm not sure, but mandatory voting may also be unconstitutional.

For reference, the only time any state has ever had mandatory voting in the Countries history was colonial Georgia in the 1700s (and it only applied to people who were then eligible to vote in the 1st place; so women and non-whites were not required to vote because they were then ineligible).

I never use toss ups.

Current predictions
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 10:33:18 am »
Ignore

Given how "uninformed" the vast majority of the voting electorate is already, having everybody vote would really not make any meaningful difference in that respect.

And if they voted then they wouldn't be so ignorant/uninformed would they? Some amount of knowledge would be gained just on the basis of glancing at the ballot paper.
Virginia
Virginia C
Moderators
YaBB God
Antarctica

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 04:24:06 pm »
Ignore

If everyone had to vote, and campaigns could rely on the vast majority of people casting a ballot, they could then spend their resources educating voters. This is similar to the rationale for automatic voter registration, which frees campaigns and other groups from having to register voters, and can instead focus more on persuasion and turnout.

Vice President PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 03:36:58 am »
Ignore

And if they voted then they wouldn't be so ignorant/uninformed would they? Some amount of knowledge would be gained just on the basis of glancing at the ballot paper.

I am sure they would be greatly enlightened by the process of finding the candidate with the best-sounding name to vote for. The people who like this proposal gravely underestimate just how ignorant of politics the typical non-voter is. These people don't care and don't see any point in caring. Using coercion to make them do this isn't going to suddenly make them care.

Alex
YaBB God
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: -4.10, S: -8.75

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 06:32:54 am »
Ignore

LOL

Generalissimo Mondale
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:30 pm »
Ignore

What's the Constitutionality of a state making voting mandatory? Like CA requiring voting in all elections or you pay a fine. No one ever ponders that

darklordoftech
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 08:27:07 am »
Ignore

I'd worry that mandatory voting would result in more voter suppression because people would worry more about uninformed voters.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 10:23:55 am »
Ignore

Mandatory voting would likely only have marginal effects on the actual results, barring 8-10% of the vote going to random protest candidates like some guy who legally changes his name to "None of the Above."

The Handsome Monkey King Son Wukong weighs in on politics.
Solid4096
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 02:46:36 pm »
Ignore

Most people who can vote; and choose not to vote, are people who make a calculation that all the outcomes are basically predetermined; regardless of whether or not they vote, and that their vote is worthless (not worth taking the time out of their day to vote).

The problem is that these votes all add up, and because these people are disproportionately dependent on government funded programs compared to most people, their non-voting makes it easier for politicians to destroy or curtail those exact programs.

I never use toss ups.

Current predictions
Jimmy7812
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.35, S: -4.15

P P
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 02:49:09 pm »
Ignore

What's the Constitutionality of a state making voting mandatory? Like CA requiring voting in all elections or you pay a fine. No one ever ponders that

Del Tachi
Republican95
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »
Ignore

I would say yes.

Why, so more Democrats get elected?

2017/18 Gubernatorial Endorsements:
AL - Kay Ivey (R)
CA - Gavin Newsom (D)
FL - Adam Putnam (R)
GA - Brian Kemp (R)
ID - Brad Little (R)
MI - Bill Schutte (R)
TN - Randy Boyd (R)

VA - Ed Gillespie (R)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Ignore

I would say yes.

Why, so more Democrats get elected?
of course.  They know dumb and ignorant people tend to vote the same way they do, that's why they want it to be as easy to vote as possible or even make it mandatory...so more dumb people can vote.  They think this is a great idea and like all things that are thought to be "great ideas" by the left, the unintended consequences would be epic.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon, you know, ‘cause I've worked in a lot of offices and I tell you people do that all the time.
Çråbçæk2784
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 09:33:39 pm »
Ignore

Australia would indicate that there isn't really much of an ideological shift when you force people to vote. I'm not even hugely sure that gobsh**tes benefit from the mandatory vote, although Australia doesn't exactly suffer a lack of elected weirdos.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout