Oregon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:03:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Oregon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon  (Read 1776 times)
christian peralta
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2018, 07:16:41 PM »

Why did Oregon swing republican while the other two west coast states (california and the state of Washington) were more democrat?
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »

The maps in this Business Insider Article answer your question pretty well.

Areas that swung towards Clinton relative to Obama:

OR is more white and less dominated by large metro areas. Unlike Seattle/Spokane in WA and the Bay Area/LA in CA there is no real rival in-state metro area to Portland.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:02:22 PM »

I doubt the marginal differences in the states' racial makeup has much of anything to do with it. I suspect it is more from Washington being considerably wealthier than Oregon.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:04 AM »

^Which comes from having more numerous and larger metropolitan areas that are more effective anchors for industry growth and immigration. There is no real rival to Portland east of the Cascades like there is in Washington with the Puget Sound area.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:15:09 AM »

Oregon other than 1996 and 2000 has had its PVI be between +7 - +9 Dem for quite some time and 2016 was no different
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:57:11 AM »

Since nobody else has mentioned it, the fact is that in Oregon there was an extremely large percentage of votes for 3rd Party Candidates in 2016, especially Libertarian and Green.

Needless to say, many of these voters were Millennial Voters and HRC was not particularly popular among this Demographic that in the "Closed Primaries" went heavily Bernie Sanders, and Indy NPA voters in November '16 of this demographic didn't vote for either Trump nor Clinton....

Even in many of the Mill Towns of "downstate Oregon" where we observed some of the greatest swings between '12 and '16 with Presidential Voting patterns, there really wasn't so much as a net increase of the overall % of the 'Pub Pres vote, as there was a decrease in the 'Dem vote share towards third party candidates....

I wouldn't read too much into the 2016 Presidential Election swings in Oregon, although for sure there were some increased 'Pub 'Pres percentages in many small town and rural parts of the State....

Been awhile since I reviewed the numbers, but here's a refresher course for anyone who is interested....

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=252085.msg5386692#msg5386692
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:22:53 AM »

Since nobody else has mentioned it, the fact is that in Oregon there was an extremely large percentage of votes for 3rd Party Candidates in 2016, especially Libertarian and Green.

Write-ins too. I'd bet that a large number of those were for Bernie.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

Oregon still tended left.

I’m not surprised that it didn’t swing like California, since Oregon is much whiter and more rural.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »

Write-ins too. I'd bet that a large number of those were for Bernie.

Yeah, you can expect that 90%+ of Write Ins were either for Sanders or Oregon Mormons writing in McMullin.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

Third party votes and progressives not voting, along with some WWC areas in the south and east.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies