The Soul-Crushing Legacy of Billy Graham
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:55:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Soul-Crushing Legacy of Billy Graham
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Soul-Crushing Legacy of Billy Graham  (Read 1380 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:42:52 PM »

Topical article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-soul-crushing-legacy-of-billy-graham-w517067

Billy Graham made not have been technically part of the Falwell/Robinson/Dobson-led Religious Right, but you can't tell me with a straight face that he didn't make their incredible political success possible through the precedents he set of mixing lowbrow white fundamentalist evangelicalism, demagoguery from the podium masking as righteous piety, and shrewd backroom dealings with right-wing politicians (most infamously, of course, Richard Nixon).

Graham may have indeed taken a noble stand on civil rights when compared to other white, Southern fundamentalist Christian leaders of the time, but that's damning with faint praise.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »

From what I understand his quotes about Judaism, while they were wrong, were taken out of context.  IIRC he was talking about Jews who don't follow the moral guidelines of their religion.  I'm sure he would say similar things about Christians who don't practice what they preach.  Of course, he should never have said it either way.

Also, as the forum's resident anti-war Evangelical, I'll forgive him for being ignorant about how to wage war.  It's not like he had any sort of authority over how the war was waged.

And he wasn't a political operative.  He mostly stayed out of politics.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:57:34 PM »

Fantastic article!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »

From what I understand his quotes about Judaism, while they were wrong, were taken out of context.  IIRC he was talking about Jews who don't follow the moral guidelines of their religion.  I'm sure he would say similar things about Christians who don't practice what they preach.  Of course, he should never have said it either way.

He has no right to judge any Jews, secular or religious. Whether I eat Kosher or no is not his business as a Christian clergyman.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »

Lol, is the above poster's argument "How dare you deny Billy Graham the right to be prejudiced against Jews!"Huh Because it sure sounds that way
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »

The dirty little secret is out: Christians are the most judgmental of them all, even tho they are explicitly taught not to judge others (John 8:7).
Billy Graham is the epitome of hypocritical and judgmental Christianity.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:44:22 PM »

I don't agree with what he said at all, I was just saying that he isn't some alt-right hero like the article would say he was.

The dirty little secret is out: Christians are the most judgmental of them all, even tho they are explicitly taught not to judge others (John 8:7).

It's actually that Christians are not supposed to judge hypocritically.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »

"He insisted on integrating the crowds, and preached equality and brotherhood, great, so what?"  If that's your response, I don't think you have a clue of how entrenched segregation was in society and belief.  This was a radical action for the time.  Assuming from hindsight that Dr King's path of demonstration for civil rights was obviously the right way to go for the sake of equality, and that any decent person would have supported it 100%, also displays a lack of historical understanding.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »

I don't agree with what he said at all, I was just saying that he isn't some alt-right hero like the article would say he was.

Oh okay, so Christians are allowed to get on their high horses and call us all sinners. Cool.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:02:27 PM »

Oh okay, so Christians are allowed to get on their high horses and call us all sinners. Cool.

That's not it.  This is a better summary of the Christian position on judging:

https://www.gotquestions.org/do-not-judge.html

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 10:53:48 PM »

I'm confused about "Hypocritical judgment."
"When we point out the sin of others while we ourselves commit the same sin, we condemn ourselves," yet we are all sinners and equally so, so wouldn't it be hypocritical to call out any sin considering we also commit it?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:36:34 PM »

I'm confused about "Hypocritical judgment."
"When we point out the sin of others while we ourselves commit the same sin, we condemn ourselves," yet we are all sinners and equally so, so wouldn't it be hypocritical to call out any sin considering we also commit it?

Do you ACTUALLY believe that everyone sins to an equal extent?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies