The case for Klobuchar in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:24:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The case for Klobuchar in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The case for Klobuchar in 2020?  (Read 3762 times)
Former Kentuckian
Cal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »

I think people far too quickly conflate "not constantly in the national news" with "boring candidate".  Yes, she's no Obama; but she's easily more personable than say John Kerry or Mitt Romney.

I'm curious of what people who call her boring think of John Kerry
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »

I think people far too quickly conflate "not constantly in the national news" with "boring candidate".  Yes, she's no Obama; but she's easily more personable than say John Kerry or Mitt Romney.

I agree in principle, but in thinking about what actually excites the people who vote in primaries these days, I think much of it is that they want someone who is either 1) villainizing the other party, or 2) trying to enforce ideological purity within one's own party (or both).  Klobuchar does neither.  I mean, sure, she's critical of Republicans, but she tries to be nicer about it than a Gillibrand or a Warren does, and instead spends an awful lot of time talking about working together, and in fact, touts her Midwestern-ness as an asset because it means she knows how to work across party lines.  That may be an asset for governing, but I don't see it working in a primary campaign in 2020.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »

I've long seen her as one of the top 3 likeliest recipients of the nomination. Her demographic appeal is clear and her voting record has the rare distinction of being generally inoffensive to both the Democratic base as well as independents.

Her strategy seems pretty obvious to me: lay low through 2018 to avoid drawing a strong challenger, win re-election by a large margin, and become a much louder and more critical voice going into 2019. As a candidate, she then gets to boast about her ability to win re-election by a large margin in a state that was unexpectedly close in 2016. I understand she is already fairly popular in Iowa, a strong and well-organized campaign could produce a very respectable win for her there.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »

I understand she is already fairly popular in Iowa, a strong and well-organized campaign could produce a very respectable win for her there.

I've only seen one poll of Iowa 2020 so far and it was in March from an O'Malley superpac (lol), but it showed Klobuchar with 11% while names like Gillibrand and Harris received 3%. Take that as you will, but she already does have support in Iowa due to having endorsed and campaigned for candidates there for years, has friends in the state legislature, and visits there regularly.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »

Being from Minnesota, she's got a good chance of winning the Iowa Caucus if Baldwin for example doesn't win, and think she'd have a reasonable shot at the nomination (though she'd be an underdog to Warren/Gillibrand/Biden and maybe Sanders). As for the general, she could play well in every Midwestern state, except Indiana, and probably helps Democrats win back Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin. I'm not sure how she'd play in ME-1 or Florida, however.
If Trump is as radioactive in 2020 as Bush was in 2008, it wouldn't hurt her to try making a play for Indiana.

Texas would make more sense. Bigger prize, lots of blacks, Hispanics, and well-educated white people.
History505
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 01:22:48 PM »

There's just no way I see her running.  She's far too cautious.  Taking a VP slot is a possibility, I suppose, and she'll probably be on shortlists if the Prez candidate is male, but I just don't see her taking that risk.
This.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 09:35:14 PM »

I see Klobuchar as the most electable female candidate the Democrats have to offer.  She offers the combination of experience and competence that will be needed to beat Trump.  For Trump to be defeated, the campaign will have to be a referendum on Trump's persona and competence, and Klobuchar does this better than Gillibrand or Warren.

WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »

If I wanted someone to be the exact opposite of Trump, I'd go with Klobluchar. She's smart, sober, female, personable, and competent, everything Donald isn't.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »

Bringing this back for some updates. Klobuchar will be doing events in Iowa and Colorado next month:

Edward Kennedy Dinner for the Denver Democrats on September 22.

Polk County Democrats Steak Fry in Des Moines on September 29. This is her third Iowa event in a year.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2018, 07:18:59 PM by Cal »

Forgot to mention, Klobuchar will be a keynote speaker at Demofest in Wichita, Kansas later this month (August 24-26). If she's running, her pattern seems to be focusing on the Midwest. Outside of Minnesota and DC, she's been honing in on events in states in 2017-2018 like Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois (where she spoke at events outside of Chicago), Colorado, Kansas, and Iowa. Her events outside of the Midwest (and DC) have been few and far between, with a Hollywood fundraiser and a headlining event for the Hawaii Democratic Party on the Big Island being two notable exceptions.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »

Klobuchar might be viable except for the fact that she’s apparently a total a-hole to her staff.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2018, 07:57:06 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2018, 08:03:36 PM by Cal »

Klobuchar might be viable except for the fact that she’s apparently a total a-hole to her staff.

If I were a potential campaign staffer for rumored 2020 presidential candidates, I'd rather deal with Klobuchar being labeled "bossy" because of staff turnover* than, say, Sherrod Brown's alleged domestic abuse or pictures of Joe Biden being handsy or footage of him talking down Anita Hill. But that's just me.

*Besides, Klobuchar's staff turnover can be often explained by staffers cycling through. Klobuchar's Chief of Staff, Brigit Helgen, served as her Deputy Chief of Staff from 2011 to 2015, left to work in the Executive Office of the President and then for Sheryl Sandberg, then came back last year to work for Klobuchar again. This counts towards her high turnover rate even though the staffer came back.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2018, 08:05:11 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Klobuchar running in 2020, but Trump is a total a-hole in general, and no one cared. In fact it was part of his appeal. Then again, he is a white Republican. They're allowed to be that way. I'm not saying Klobuchar's conduct is appropriate, but the fact that it is a weakness for her demonstrates yet another double standard between Trump and everyone else.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2018, 08:06:54 PM »

Klobuchar treating her staff the way she does, that is just small fry compared to the strengths she has as a candidate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:56 PM »

Being from Minnesota, she's got a good chance of winning the Iowa Caucus if Baldwin for example doesn't win, and think she'd have a reasonable shot at the nomination (though she'd be an underdog to Warren/Gillibrand/Biden and maybe Sanders). As for the general, she could play well in every Midwestern state, except Indiana, and probably helps Democrats win back Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Wisconsin. I'm not sure how she'd play in ME-1 or Florida, however.
If Trump is as radioactive in 2020 as Bush was in 2008, it wouldn't hurt her to try making a play for Indiana.

That would be a waste of time and resources, with Pence as Trump's running mate he should be able to narrowly hold onto Indiana even if he's being blown out nationally.

Indiana doesn't have a Senate seat up in 2020.

Here's the stuff on Indiana: no Republican wins nationwide unless winning Indiana by at least 10%. Indianapolis suburbs are still too R to make it close. If that changes, then the GOP is cooked nationwide. 
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »

One of the few Dems I could see myself voting for in the next presidential election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »

Dems want a younger male like Avenetti type or a Cory Booker type.  I think those two will be on the ticket, not together, but one will be the nominee.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2018, 10:36:24 PM by Cal »

Forgot to mention, Klobuchar will be a keynote speaker at Demofest in Wichita, Kansas later this month (August 24-26). If she's running, her pattern seems to be focusing on the Midwest. Outside of Minnesota and DC, she's been honing in on events in states in 2017-2018 like Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois (where she spoke at events outside of Chicago), Colorado, Kansas, and Iowa. Her events outside of the Midwest (and DC) have been few and far between, with a Hollywood fundraiser and a headlining event for the Hawaii Democratic Party on the Big Island being two notable exceptions.

Adding to this list, Klobuchar was just announced as headling the North Dakota Democratic Party's Burdick Dinner on September 15

An incomplete list of some of her non-Minnesota/DC moves since May 2017

May 2017: fundraisers in Polk County, Iowa and Linn County, Iowa
July 2017: Los Angeles fundraiser
August 2017: Illinois Democratic County Chairmen's Association brunch in Springfield, Illinois
August 2017: Iowa State University speech in Ames, Iowa
September 2017: Cap Times Idea Fest in Madison, Wisconsin
October 2017: Women's Convention in Detroit, Michigan
February 2018: Hawaii Democratic Party event on the Big Island
August 2018: Demofest in Wichita, Kansas
September 2018: Burdick Dinner for North Dakota Democrats
September 2018: Edward Kennedy Dinner for Denver Democrats
September 2018: Polk County Democrats Steak Fry in Des Moines
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2018, 09:54:17 PM »

Klobuchar treating her staff the way she does, that is just small fry compared to the strengths she has as a candidate.
I think so.  Being a "demanding boss" is great if you're a Presidential candidate; people want public employees (other then themselves, of course) to have "demanding bosses".

I think that she's the strongest candidate the Democrats have, but they don't seem to see it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »

I like her a lot but I don't think she has that umph or fire to run for pres. She comes off as too nice (which would hurt her if she ran against Trump). She's got some time to work on it and to work on getting her profile up.

She will be a sympathetic character if Trump tries to attack.  This helps her.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »

Klobuchar is easily my #2 pick if Brown doesn't run. She is a little hawkish on foreign policy, which I like but may hurt her in the primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »

Way too hawkish to consider.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »

The Director's Guild of America (a guild for film directors, jsyk) is honoring Amy Klobuchar. Kind of odd, but it's a sign of Hollywood support (which isn't odd considering her recent Hollywood fundraisers) .

https://variety.com/2018/film/awards/directors-guild-ang-lee-nancy-utley-amy-klobuchar-1202906164/amp/
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »

She's definitely a low-key candidate right now, but I could imagine that changing. I'm not sure she'll run if Harris, Gillibrand and Warren throw their hats into the ring.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »

The problem is with these Democrats is that Nobody knows who they are!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies