Should wages increase annually with inflation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:21:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Should wages increase annually with inflation?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should wages increase annually with inflation?  (Read 792 times)
Maverick J-Mac
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »

I think I'm supposed to type something in here too.  Minimum wage could go up a couple dollars an hour, but the thing is if it's too high we're stuck with long term inflation.  Like most economic issues, I consider myself to be very much a centrist.  What are your thoughts?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2017, 02:56:21 AM by 136or142 »

This is actually one of the major reasons why economists think a little inflation is a good thing.

What psychologists have found is that people have an aversion to loss, but that a loss can be hidden if it doesn't seem real.  So, if you have zero inflation but if a business can't afford to pay its workers what it's already paying them, psychologically the workers will resist be given an actual pay cut.

However, if you have two or three percent annual inflation, a business that can't afford to pay its workers what it was paying them at the beginning of the year, can simply not increase wages and give the workers a de facto pay cut while the workers psychologically won't feel the same reduction in pay.  Of course, this can only work for so long.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »

Not really. By tying the minimum wage to inflation, if inflation suddenly spikes we would see a major layoff for those in the working class, thus causing the unemployment rate(esp. for those with minimum wage or near minimum wage) to be tied to inflation. This would be an economically disastrous decision that would return us to the late 1970s.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »

Not really. By tying the minimum wage to inflation, if inflation suddenly spikes we would see a major layoff for those in the working class, thus causing the unemployment rate(esp. for those with minimum wage or near minimum wage) to be tied to inflation. This would be an economically disastrous decision that would return us to the late 1970s.
I can see your concern but a spike in inflation could also cause businesses to bring in more income due to price adjustments thus mitigating the increased wages.

It is clearly about time that we raise minimum wage. I'm fine with it staying the same for a few years but our minimum wage has stayed the same for far too long.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »

I can see your concern but a spike in inflation could also cause businesses to bring in more income due to price adjustments thus mitigating the increased wages.

It is clearly about time that we raise minimum wage. I'm fine with it staying the same for a few years but our minimum wage has stayed the same for far too long.
Mmhm.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »

Yes it should with periodic adjustments.  The reason is simply minimum wage is too often used as a political football.  For parties on the left, they do better when they have dramatic rises even if they are not economical while parties on the right who rely more on business owners have every reason to not raise it so it takes the politics out of it and also keeps it stable and predictable rather than have a left wing government dramatically raise it, when they get turfed the right wing government freezes it for many years and then the left wing government when it comes back dramatically raises it so a vicious cycle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies